Starting a Vegetable farm for Business

IamDozzy

As we all know, vegetable is consumed by everybody on Earth. Some examples of vegetables that are consumable includes; Lettuce, Cabbage, Pumpkin and its leaves, Bitter leaf,Scent leaf, Tomatoes and lots more. Vegetable farmers especially those bases in the North make a fortune from just selling and exporting vegetables such as Tomatoes to other countries.

Imagine selling vegetables to 10% of the Nigerian population, that's a fortune. I am going to highlight steps one can take in order to start a vegetable farm in Nigeria.

Steps to take in starting a vegetable farm in Nigeria includes;
• Getting a good land will the fantastic Humus soil or a Sandy loam soil.
• Prepare your land for farming by clearing weeds, removing stumps, clogs and stones.
• Buy the seedlings of the particular vegetable you would love to plant.
• Get your farm equipment ready such as Hoe, Cutlass, Watering can etc.
• Plant your vegetables using modern planting methods.
• Take care of the growing plants by watering regularly, applying fertilizer , providing shade from the sun.
• Harvest your already grown vegetable and take it to the market for sales.

Last edited:

Mishi

Starting a small farm can be a huge investment and as such is often not easy to get into. There are a lot of different things to consider before starting your own small-scale farm. Let’s break down the start up cost a bit further. I will give a quick run down of the most important cost factors and what to expect financially.

Yugocean

Valued Contributor
My dear, if you are able to sell vegetable to 10% population of Nigeria, then you will actually need at least 10% agriculture land of Nigeria. This is next to impossible unless you can afford to buy. But setting up a vegetable farm is good; Covid has taught a lesson. Never neglect the farming, I support the farming business.

Dekadet

i would like to encourage you in your vegetable farming, vegetable farming is very lucrative as in people consume them on a daily basis.
just make sure your soil is fertile and rich in organic matter then you would be left with only pests to worry about. good luck

Dekadet

i would like to encourage you in your vegetable farming, vegetable farming is very lucrative as in people consume them on a daily basis.
just make sure your soil is fertile and rich in organic matter then you would be left with only pests to worry about. good luck

Henrylaw

Vegetable farming is a lucrative business especially where irrigation farming is the only option. To start a vegetable farming you need an agricultural land, investment capital, little or no labour. A person going to vegetable farming should take these factors into consideration. This include: soil fertility, nearness to water supply (in case of irrigation farming), pest, theft and weed control.