Starting A Business Without Capital

Teatea

It is not possible to start a business without capital. Even if it is an online business or side hustle, you still have to put in something to get something out of it. Your capital doesn't necessarily mean money, it could be your time, knowledge, skill or strength. Once you are putting in something, then it is your capital, some freelancing work does not require money. But if it is a business that requires exchange of goods, then you definitely need money.

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
I always advise against making a start up with insufficient capital much more if there is no capital. That is foolhardy to do. Sooner or late you will lose your business due to the tight cash flow. I know that some guys get lucky with that venture but if you are not so lucky then you can say goodbye to your effort. Make a start up only with enough capital.

Kingsley

Valued Contributor
Starting a business without capital negates the principle that stated the factors that can bring about products or production. So it is literal impossible to start a business without capital. We must use capital to start business.

eojo2401

As it is not possible to build something on nothing so it is impossible to start a business without money. The initial investment will cost you money, even if you want to do online business, you will need to buy a small phone buy internet data, you may even needs to buy power bank if there's no regular power supply to your house.

Psalmseen

It is highly impossible to start a business without enough capital not to talk of not having capital at all. Capital is the fuel of a business. Capital keeps a business going. To add to it, a business idea without capital is a waste because even those that have no business idea but they have capital can buy the idea and use their money to bring something good out of it

Highflyer

When starting a business that provides a service or product, you do need some capital at the very beginning. If you do not have your own money, you either need to take a loan from bank or you need some strong investors who support your idea financially and backing you up every few months. Starting without no capital at all is not advisable, you should have planned for the business all along and the source of funding should be one of the most important parts you should've considered.

springtech

I ag
First how will you start a business if you do not have a start up capital? Getting a loan is very risky especially when you consider the interest that you have to pay. I would advise that you open a small business that need a small capital and if you see that the business is making good money then you can apply for a loan from the bank like a bridge financing.
i agree with you, it's risky and most times not advisable to take loans to start a business because you can't predict the outcome of your businesses adventure. But if one has no other choice as per no other means of raising finance for your business apart from loan then one might need to consider it. But I will advice taking a low interest loan so as to reduce the burden of repayment no matter how little.
Another means of raising capital for business is through the help of family and friends, those who believe in your dream. One can also get capital through business financiers with the aid of business plan. We also have angel investors who might take delight in your business. Then we have grant from non governmental organizations and also from the government through SMEDAN or even CBN here in Nigeria.

Chibson

VIP Contributor
It is actually good to start small especially when you don't have the financial capacity to start big. But I want to tell you this that any business or any company that does not have financial backup is actually bound to fail if there is no proper plan put in place. I don't always advise people to take a loan before starting a business, instead start small and build your business.

Nii41

After preparing your business plan and all that, you would need to get the business running, all you need to do is get an estimate of the capital you would need to start the business, if you do not have enough funds, you will need to work with your budget, all you have to do is start small, there are certain things that are more important out of the numerous things you need to do, pick out those things and start with them first, as the business picks, you can start expanding gradually. If you feel you must start big, instead of getting a loan from the bank, get the loan from family or friends.

Georgeadawara

They are things that you can not start it with out the capital to start a business with out the capital I don't think if that can be possible. For someone to start a business you need to make sure you have a good business plan on ground. The plan will content the expensive of what will be used in the business so with out a capital it's impossible to start it

D

Deleted member 27126

First how will you start a business if you do not have a start up capital? Getting a loan is very risky especially when you consider the interest that you have to pay. I would advise that you open a small business that need a small capital and if you see that the business is making good money then you can apply for a loan from the bank like a bridge financing.
I do not understand or let me say I do not know how you expect to start a business without capital. In accounting terms, capital is defined as the amount of money used in starting a business. From this definition, it clearly shows that without capital a business can't be started. So how do you even plan to go about it? I will suggest you first put capital in place and make sure everything is intact before you think of starting a business

Segat

I don't see the possibility of starting a business with out capital. It might probably not be your own personal money as the business owner or someone give you the goods to sell and later pay back or some friends and family set you up.

G

cmoneyspinner

Well if you do not have a rich father who can give you a million dollars to get started in your real estate business and you want to get started the conventional way, then you will probably need capital. If you can not convince a bank or other financial institution or the government (in USA they have loan programs for businesses) to supply the funds, then there are “angel investors”. Angel investors are private parties who have passive income that they want to use. They are looking for some place to invest their money. Many aspiring entrepreneurs come to them and pitch their business ideas. If it looks like something the angel investor thinks will be profitable, they will lend you the money to get started.

Peppul

How do you expect to start a business without capital, it's like you saying living without a heart. For every businesses even when you have the best ideas that can make the business a successful one without having capital to start up the business your ideas will be of no use. So for someone that want s to start a business the first thing you need to always think of Is how do I get capital to fund my business then after that every other things can follow. So starting a business without capital is impossible. Even if you intend to get a loan for your business the loan automatically becomes your capital.

Carson20t

Starting a business without a capital incone is very much possible.Offcourse by this statement it implies not having monetary resources to finance your business.But people forget that resources can be quantified in a alot of ways and in this case you could be a very good public speaker and well presentable.These are some businesses you can start;

BECOMING AN INFLUENCER
Based on your speaking skills you could become an influencer and people can pay your for your promotional services for speaking about their products and services.You can aswel become an affilliate to major companies.

BECOMING A REAL ESTATE AGENT
Basically most successful reators don't invest much of money but rather building their reputation and trust to close down on major deals.

PODCASTER/MOTIVATIONAL COUCH
These people don't need to invest money in order to land gigs that can be lucrative for them,they just need to master the art and sell out their ideas to people.

VIRTUAL SERVICE PROVIDERS
In most cases when providing virtual services in various niches you actually need minimal to zero money to invest but only scale up your business then you are good to go.

Basically there are a tone of things you can do without investing money but you just have to really work hard and grow your portfolio.

Last edited:

btaliat

VIP Contributor
There are some business that you can start without any capital. It is just depending on how smart the person is. The world has gone beyond what we think it is. For instance, you can start a real estate agent without any capital, you only need properties owner and tell them that you will market their properties for them at a certain commission rate. Also, affiliate marketing works the same way. There are other businesses as well especially online business that doesn't cost anything to start.

Yugocean

Valued Contributor
Those, who are claiming that starting any business without capital is possible, they should give an example in which someone started a business without capital; or prove it by starting any business themselves without use of capital.

No business in the world can be started without investment at the first place, even starting a website will cost; and even a free blog will cost (data / electricity/ device etc); a business established without capital will be nothing and will hardly earn profit, there is no shortcut.

btaliat

VIP Contributor
It is not possible to start most businesses without capital. The only business that I know that requires less or no capitals are real estate agents and affiliate marketing. These businesses based on commissions and depend on clients before profits or gains can be made. But if you want a real business that will be fetching you money without awaiting any clients or buyers, then you will need capital though it may not be huge depending on the type of business, to start such a business.

Ephy

Starting business without capital is very much possible but you have to be determined in what you want to do. First you need to identify a market gap or demand of a product or services then identify a specific location that there is high demand compared to supply. Then come up with a good plan and strategies that can be well understood and interpreted. Then present your business plan get a loan or use it to borrow funds from friends, families, organisations and even from your own savings. Make sure each person that you approach for funds gets to understand what you want to do and the need of existing of the particular business you want to Start. Then it becomes easy for one to trust you with the amount of money you need.