Sports betting; Has it done more harm than good?

Carson20t

Sports betting has done alot of harm than good.This is because a majority of people gambling are lay men's with no skills whatsoever and thinking that to succeed in gambling is mere luck only,which is absolutely not true.

Gambling is an art that needs a certain mindset and focus.It needs many months of practice and testing out the games that you are likely to have an upper hand or advantage.It needs dedicated resources towards the game and for the game only .But most people spend money they cant afford to lose with little knowledge of the game with a view of making a profit.

Chibson

VIP Contributor
I have made an input here before but let me add this one again. Sports betting has really made some people rich of which I know some of them physically and have met them. It has also damaged many people's destiny and of course cost a lot of pains too many people. I know someone who is very addicted to sports betting, he is definitely beyond redemption because they kind of stories tells people is very touching. I think it has done more harm than good.

springtech

A large percentage of youths engage in sports betting, even adults too. Everybody hopes to make money on it and if they lose they still try again hoping that one day they can win something. But in the end they experience a long run of disappointment. It might be true that some people have actually made it through betting but then there are two type of bettors, we have the top 5% and the bottom 95%. So the 5% are the ones that are actually making it in sports person by luck why the 95% lose their money to the top 5% and the bookmakers. I know a lot of people that have their life has been wrecked through betting but I've never heard of a bookmaker go out of business. Betting is delusional, the earlier we realise that the better. Save your hard-earned money and invest it in something worthwhile.
This is a very serious question. I have always pondered on this too.
The proliferation of the venture is even more worrisome, wherever you turn it is one betting agnecy or the other from betnaija to nairabet to betking to 1xbet to several unknown names.
And you get to find people of different age grades young, old, men and women.
All hoping to make a huge cashout from as little as N100. Very interesting.
The amount they stake at a time could be that little but over time the cumulative sum could be huge without one knowing.
If you take a survey of how many have earned you will see that the percentage is very small compared to those who have been loosing thus making the business a booming one for the betting companies and the agencies who earn fat commision.
In all, i believe it has done more harm than good owing to the addiction therein.

Hena101

Looking at percentage of youth that engaged in betting i will say it do more harm than good because most of our youth prefer to go to betting shop and spend the whole day doing bet instead of them to go and work and the most painful part of it is that they even borrows money to place bet, some even sell their electronic like phones, lantern, power bank and their like to do bet and many more to mention but few

Lyrrex

Sport betting has done more harm than good and has also shown the level greediness and laziness in man to take unnecessary risk trying to make money quickly or without doing anything .The few people that are making money from sport betting are people that has disciplined in such a way that they plan or set limit on what to spend in betting, if they win fine and if they loose they don't go beyond that limit for that day or week or as the plan may be.
Those who sell or borrow money to bet no doubt they need to be checked psychologically.
I lost so much to sport betting last year.

Maks25

people who are core gamblers are often found to be emotionally depressed when they lose a huge sum of money,and they are always angry when they remember the amount of money they have lost and the meaningful things they could have done with their money,they become depressed again..like my guy tosyne2much anytime his slip cuts he will start fuming and quareling pple up and down,and also They are never sucessful
i have never seen a man who gambles and is sucessful in life,Gamblers are never sucessful instead the money that they are meant to use to invest into their business.they will use it and go and play bet9ja and loose and come and start wailing.

Ralphjoe

Sport betting has led to more harm than good because it has made so many people poor in mentality, lazy and quite lethargic because since the arrival of sport betting no youth want to work hard anymore, all of them are just looking for get rich quick scheme by gambling. This is a big societal problem that is excerberating the problem of unemployment in the society. This is because the youth believe they can be making quick money without having to do anything productive.

Mataracy

VIP Contributor
Its depend on how hood you are at it. If you are the type that use to watch sport very well and good at prediction then you can make it big.
But there are some people that do not have understanding about it if they eventually venture in to it they will surely blame then self and regret of doing so. Because many people has enter in to serious debt for playing betting.

Makah

Betting has done more harm than good because lots of people has lost more than what they have won
One thing about betting is that once you start it would be very hard for you to quit it because it is very addictive and any thing addictive is bad for us
A friend of mine was lost $50 to better and since then he quit betting and starting doing something good for himself
Gambling is a Big risk and I won't advise any one to try it

D

Deleted member 28873

Sport betting has it caused more harm than good ?my take is that it has caused more harm cause I have lost loads of money on sport betting most people might be successful on it but all hands are not equal I have witness more cases of people sport betting has wrecked than of cases of people it has saved. Yeah most people are often successful but the percentage of successful people to the non successful people its like a 2:98 ratio that's what i think not actually proven.For people who hasn't indulge in sport betting yet my advice is not to join because it actually kind of addictive

Lyrrex

Sport betting has done more harm than good and has also shown the level greediness and laziness in man to take unnecessary risk trying to make money quickly or without doing anything .The few people that are making money from sport betting are people that has disciplined in such a way that they plan or set limit on what to spend in betting, if they win fine and if they loose they don't go beyond that limit for that day or week or as the plan may be.
Those who sell or borrow money to bet no doubt they need to be checked psychologically.

Salimo 92

Yes I agree totally with you , the possibility to lose your money on betting is much higher than be rich ; I am one of people that taste of harm , I used to bet on matches 5 years ago but not online at this time , I used to go to lottery store but in short time I lost the equivalent of 100$ at sum ; I only win twice , I have taken a good decision of not betting again but I returned again last year betting on site Bet 365 and again I lost 47$ in short time .

Abu4exel

Sporting bet has done less harm to people than others like baba ijebu and on. Some people have been making it through this avenue every day, weeks and even months. And it is not like baba ijebu where they only pick two numbers out of numerous ones. So, to me, sporting bet has safe some people from penny less life.

greatguy1

Sports betting has been so harmful to the society that its attendant effect has left tale of sorrow, tears and blood. Sport betting is trying your luck at sporting events with the hope of winning returns from your stake. Its no news that alot of people are now addicted to it with the hope of winning. This addiction has led to people doing unimaginable things just to get cash for sport betting. This ill should be checkmated in the society

IamDozzy

This is very true, Sports betting has done more harm than good especially among the youths of the 21st century. People these days both old and young prefer to lazy about gambling with the little change they get and end up becoming a nuisance in the society. This is not to say there aren't those who make huge profit from sports betting, of course there are but the ratio of those that make profit from sports betting to those that don't is 1:5. So you see, it has done more harm than good in today's society.

Maven Tiger

@Kennysplash It depends in the way you're seeing it. If I may ask, to the owner of a bet company or bet shop is it a curse or a blessing? Also, is it a curse to the 5% of those who constantly win bet bets?
In America, a large portion of the population depend on betting for survival. Betting is not a game one will just stake and rely on luck to win, it is a game of statistics especially sport betting.

Kennysplash

Verified member
A large percentage of youths engage in sports betting, even adults too. Everybody hopes to make money on it and if they lose they still try again hoping that one day they can win something. But in the end they experience a long run of disappointment. It might be true that some people have actually made it through betting but then there are two type of bettors, we have the top 5% and the bottom 95%. So the 5% are the ones that are actually making it in sports person by luck why the 95% lose their money to the top 5% and the bookmakers. I know a lot of people that have their life has been wrecked through betting but I've never heard of a bookmaker go out of business. Betting is delusional, the earlier we realise that the better. Save your hard-earned money and invest it in something worthwhile.

Maks25

I have never seen a man who gambles and is sucessful in life,Gamblers are never sucessful instead the money that they are meant to use to invest into their business.they will use it and go and play bet9ja and loose and come and start wailing.

Yugocean

Valued Contributor
I would say that betting is wrong, it is gambling that goes on the opposite side. In this gambling, for which the players are bribed, the game is spoiled naturally. Even if we sit down and make small sums so that we do not have any problem, then the people who put big money or with whom it is going, they will surely bribe the players to make a profit in this gambling. This will only spoil the system of sports, corruption will also increase. Then there will be no trust in them, wherever these players do their business.

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
My take on sports betting is only for fun or entertainment. I admit that sometimes I bet on sports when there is a big boxing bout or a mixed martial arts championship fight on tv. The betting is a friendly one against some neighbors only to spice up the moment of watching it on tv. It is very interesting because there is money involved no matter how small. When the betting goes higher then that is gambling already which is not good for our finances.