Slight price increase in some items to earn more profit in a subtle way

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
This topic is the opposite of the selective discounts that we see in stores. There are products in the middle of the aisle that are on sale. On the contrary the selective price hike are only for some small items that are usually bought in bulk.

An example is the price increase of 1 cent in milk products. Consumers will not notice the very minimal increase in price. If there are 50 such products with slight price increase then that can earn an extra profit. I have noticed that management style in Chinese stores when I was younger. The slight price increase is not an issue so that on following week the price would increase by another 1 cent. To neutralize the increase there would be minimal price reduction on other items. That’s a neat sales technique.

Augusta

VIP Contributor
It is a good strategy to use, I personally if I go to the market to buy a thing I had bought previously and the increase is minimal I will still buy but if it move drastically to a new price I will go for it's alternative. So increasing the price should be done in a non noticeable way