Skills Vs Degree: What do you prefer the most?

Lekhraj19

Verified member
This is a question that has hit my mind when I listen to people around me. There is always taken the side of the degree in India still, and I find this thing in my society too.

Here, people have always believed that if someone is doing a degree from a high profile Engineering College (like from IITs in India), or Medical Engineering, etc., they will have the better scope in life than the rest. But, at the same time we have many examples there, where students from a normal college made an extraordinary thing and pursuing its business too from there. Degree is the thing that I have always thought that it has no practical sense, it is just a by-product of what you did and learnt. But, if you don't have skills you cannot do good in the job sector or business ahead in the life.

What are the opinions around you, that you find and your personal thoughts?

Maven Tiger

@Lekhraj19 Skills all the way. Having the necessary skill is more important in a work place, especially, in technology and communication sectors.
In recent years, top tech giants like google place little or no importance on educational qualifications but much emphasis is being placed on what you can offer and the level of contribution your skill adds to the growth of the company.

D

Deleted member 28873

depending on the country and its educational system.degree is of great importance when someone goes to a good university where the educational system actually works better. Skills is great and can come in handy for both educated and non educated.Attaining a level of having your skill often do refer to as you trying to be self employed not depending on the employment system.It actually great cause there is no thing as been your own boss.I think having both is a great idea

Kennysplash

Verified member
This is a question that has hit my mind when I listen to people around me. There is always taken the side of the degree in India still, and I find this thing in my society too.

Here, people have always believed that if someone is doing a degree from a high profile Engineering College (like from IITs in India), or Medical Engineering, etc., they will have the better scope in life than the rest. But, at the same time we have many examples there, where students from a normal college made an extraordinary thing and pursuing its business too from there. Degree is the thing that I have always thought that it has no practical sense, it is just a by-product of what you did and learnt. But, if you don't have skills you cannot do good in the job sector or business ahead in the life.

What are the opinions around you, that you find and your personal thoughts?
Before in Nigeria educational degree was highly valued more than skills. But now skills are even more valued more than educational degree. In Nigeria and most parts of the world you will see a graduate working for someone that has no degree. The best thing is to have both, as you are studying for degree also work to have a good skill and master it. Especially in my country if you don't have a skill you are on your own, there are no white collar jobs for the masses anymore, they are keeping them for their children that will succeed them. It is as if the jobs are now cheiftancy titles. So if you can have both then do so.

Peppul

Degree and skills are two sides of the same coin. To succeed in the race of life a person needs to have a degree along with the skill. A degree without the skill would be as empty as the skill without the degree. Both need to go hand in hand on order to be the survival of the fittest. Degree is nothing but the certified documentation of the skill within the individual. Every person having the skill may not manage to attain the degree. Similarly, every degree holder is not necessary skilled. The requirements of the degree or skill depends upon the organization, the nature of post etc. So both are important and they work hand in hand.

Seyesystem

It depends on an individual perspective to choose between skills or degree and their reasons behind it.For me acquiring education he still the best because education matters a lot in life once you have education you have knowledge and the knowledge you have we differentiate you in the society. Education give you exposure and make you to think differently from people that doesn't have education with education you can easily compete in your immediate environment and beyond your environment. Learning a skill is also important because skill makes many people to excel on the internet. There are some special skills that is always required by some big companies which may result to earning huge income from organisation. For me I still prefer education first when you are have education you have meet the first requirement in the society and education can make you successful in life if you did not stop learning everyday after acquiring education you can now go for a very good skill.

Georgeadawara

It depends on on how the country is and it also depend on individual perspective.. on my own opinion I prefer to aquire skills base on how my country is.someone with a skills can be successful with his own skills,while someone with his own digree if he is not lucky he will spend many years before he get a job not even well paid job.
Skills re categorize in different ways,a skilled person is independent while digree holder who's working under govt is dependent, anything may happen in his field. so having skills will make sure you to be more open because skills is more important than the certificate.

Mataracy

VIP Contributor
Both skill and degree complement each other in the since that without good education to manage some business very well maybe difficult
And likewise as a graduate now a days without haven any still to live comfortably in this world will be also difficult due to the increase if unemployment in the country,Nation or world at large.
The most important thing to do while you are still running after degree is to also be learning a skills so that you can have something you can lay hand on after graduating or after obtaining your degree .

Abu4exel

You said skill vs degree which one is preferable.To be Skillful is good because you can do whatever job you re being assigned to with dexterity, so long as it is in your area of specialization but being a degree holder without skill is something else. Mostly in nigeria settings of today, a degree holder is what they prefer, whether you don't even have the skill, they don't mind, as long as you can provide the certificate. But moving outside nigeria to other countries where they structure their working system on Skills, and also degree. So, I personally prefer to be skillful than to have all the degree without job.

Maven Tiger

Degree and skills are two sides of the same coin. To succeed in the race of life a person needs to have a degree along with the skill. A degree without the skill would be as empty as the skill without the degree. Both need to go hand in hand on order to be the survival of the fittest. Degree is nothing but the certified documentation of the skill within the individual. Every person having the skill may not manage to attain the degree. Similarly, every degree holder is not necessary skilled. The requirements of the degree or skill depends upon the organization, the nature of post etc. So both are important and they work hand in hand.
@Peppul I agree with you that Degree and skills are two sides of the same coin. But in some cases you don't need to have both because one has a clear advantage over the other. I would like you to look at it succinctly why required skills is prioritized than education in the Tech world. You can as well check the job requirements of Top tech leading companies of this Era which place little or no importance to academic qualifications or degree.

Also, I concur with you that every degree holder is not necessary skilled. The reaon why some companies prioritized skills to education.

Aqsa Shahid

Both have their own importance as degree is important if you want to do a private or government job as they will definitely see your documents to judge that are you eligible to do job in their company or not. However skills are also very important in life as if you don't have any job in bad times, you can earn online by showing your skills.

Adekaz

It depends on the country you are in Nigeria here I will rather go for skill acquisition than degree Because in Nigeria education doesn't really pay here for some people, someone studying 4years course and end up getting a job after the whole thing it is a mess

Maks25

The worst case scenario is when a grad has no vocational skill or IT skill. I find out that most people who didn't study IT related course and find themselves in what the OP called 40k/month job hardly embrace the fact that need to up their IT skills. This alone can hinder the chances of one landing the dream white collar job, because i don't see how an secretary who has worked with the PC for 7yrs+ will not be proficient in her use of MS Word and expect manner to fall from heaven.

Ummigal

A friend of mine of mine had a skill before going to college. He sustained it while at college, when he graduated, he didn't drop any C.V in any office but he had three organisations calling him to come work for them. The reason is because he developed his skills while still in school, and built on his soft skills too. One needs to add a degree to his skills because this will enable you to accomplish more strides. The good thing is that you are able to combine both.

Olajidey

A degree all alone is not good without a skill, even nowadays a skill is seen to be more important than degree nevertheless we can not overlook the importance of a degree because of present situation most degree graduates are facing in the economic world. For instance, I have heard of a case where some people applied for a job and they result to pick just two people for an interview since they need one person, one has good grade than the other applicant. So during the interview, the other applications have the skill they required for but the brilliant dude has no skill, that is how the skill guy get the job.