Should you start your business in an area where you have connections?

Jasz

VIP Contributor
If you're thinking about starting a business, it might seem like a good idea to do it in an area where you already have strong connections. Whether that means building your business in the same city as your alma mater or opening up shop somewhere near family so they can help you out, there are certainly some advantages to doing this. You know the area, and you probably have friends and acquaintances who could give you some help, or at least provide valuable feedback.

But there are also some important things to consider. Your local connections mean that people close to you will have access to information about your company—information that could be sensitive or confidential. Hiring friends and family can complicate matters even further. If they don't perform well on the job, can you really let them go? And if they do perform well, how do you manage to pay them what they're worth while still turning a profit?

It's not always easy to keep relationships with people when money is involved, but starting a business is going to be hard enough without having those extra complications. Weigh the pros and cons of starting in an area where you have connections before making your decision.

Holicent

VIP Contributor
You can succeed in business anywhere, but it's easier to start a business where you have connections. There are a lot of reasons that starting your business in an area where you have connections is advantageous. For one thing, when you already have connections in the area, it's easier to find people to work with. When you're starting out and don't have any employees yet, you might need help getting things off the ground. Having a network of people you know who could help is going to be very useful.

It's also helpful to be familiar with the local laws, regulations, and economic climate. If you have connections in the area, they might be able to give you insight into how things work there or what resources are available for small businesses. Having said all that, it's certainly possible to build your business elsewhere from where you've been before. You'll just need to be willing to put in the time and effort needed for research and networking if you want your business to thrive in a new location.

Sotherefore

VIP Contributor
To me , it's not really necessary , it depends on what you have to offer . It is not your family member or your local government area that will help in the progress of your business , it is people all over the world and people even in strange land that can really help you in the progress of your business.

Instead of me starting up a business in an unsuitable location for my family member to help me out , I will rather look for a way to start up the business in a profitable location and then locate with my family member to the location for them to help me out if necessary or I just employ someone to help me out , that is even cheaper .

It is just a big waste of time for you to neglect a suitable location to establish a business just because you have connections around . A lot of people have been migrating to strangeland to start up a business and they are doing well because these things depend on what you have to offer .

It's not really easy but anyone that has to do anything must put so many things into consideration.

Augusta

VIP Contributor
The truth is that there's always two sides to this coin when it comes to starting a business with connection you would have the pros and the cons so you have to weigh the two and see which outweigh the other to use. The pros with connection I see that you can start with them without paying them initially. You can have still have cheap labor if you decide to pay them at the start. This is because you would be seeing them as your connection and pay less. Again they would help look out for your business as you are familiar to them through connection.

but the cons will be them taking the rule or rules of your business for granted. This is because they have some connections with you. They might ever start stealing if it is a production company. So as I said just weigh the two and go for the one that will suit you.

Carpon

Valued Contributor
Yes and most especially in a settlement where people can interact and know each other it will be good that you have a link and good connection with people who are potential customers. And infact before starting a business, you should be able to boldly point a good number of people that will be able to patronize your business. If you know a lot of people and you can supply products that they need, then it will be the best for you.

You are securing your customer base by creating a good link of friends and people that you know. It is very important for you to have cordial relationships with your locals and interact peacefully and on a friendly basis with them. You should not be an individual known with bad character, people will hardly patronise you but once you are well known and you have a lot of friends and close associates your business will boom better.

Ithedicious

Valued Contributor
Well , to some people they could consider that as a way of succeeding in a business but to me it does not really matter at all.

Business can be established anyway as long as the demand for your product or services is being needed in the location you have established the business.
To me that's what determines the success of a business because even if you have to establish a business in your Alma mater , if the location is not developed enough , you may not likely be able to make anything reasonable at the end of the day. .

I have seen so many situations of people coming from their location to an unknown locations and establish a business and they are succeeding in the business simply because what they are offering is being needed in the location they have established the business. That's just what we should put into consideration.

Activator230822

Verified member
For me l would not buy that idea of starting a business on an a location that l have connections with people and something of the sort. I think there are advantages and of course disadvantages to that. For instance the demerits in that case outweighs the merits.
The starting of business in places where you are well known will deprive the business from gaining to its sustainability on time as the people that you know would like you to favour them with giving credits, among other offers that drags the business into a ditch.

Axis

Banned
There is nothing interesting as starting a business in an area where you have good connections. When you start your business in an area where you have good connection you start the chance to make profit and generate reasonable amount of business income more than others who are in the same industry or line of business as you. In order to generate connection to your business it is totally expected an advice that you take your time to discuss your business to members of the public even before having to establish the business.

You can take advantage of business forums or having to give out flyers to individuals passing by in order for them to have a knowledge of what your business has to offer you can also carry out a feasibility study about the test and preference of individuals reciding in the location you want to establish a business.