Selling unusual products can be like a monopoly

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
There was an antique shop in the big mall that I visited in the city. Understandably the shop was selling old items but it was I was surprised to see the baskets of old coins and foreign coins that they were selling. There were also the old paper bills circa 1941 (Japanese money in World War 2). I had a grand time choosing the coins and paper bills that I liked. On my next visit to the mall I again went to that antique shop.

Selling unique items means the product is not available elsewhere. It is like giving the prospect no choice but to either buy or to miss the product. There is only one supermarket here that sells the dried cherry tomato which I always buy. I guess I am not the only one going to that supermarket just because of the unique dried fruit that they sell.

sincerem

VIP Contributor
With such supermarket dealing old but on demand products, makes it operating like a monopoly since it isn't in competition with anybody since it stands alone dealing on special products. When i go to the supermarket i love to buy items that caught my attention, be it old or new, as long as it picked my interest, I'll go for it.

Augusta

VIP Contributor
You are right and the business owners know this and sell the product or items how they deem fit which most times are for high price. I don't like Monopoly because whatever advantage it had the disadvantages outweighs them. So I agree with your point and sometimes we can't just help it

Sherman198

VIP Contributor
Selling what other people ain't selling gives you a monopolize power. It makes you unique amongst your pairs. If you go to a shop where you can always see everything that you need but are scarce.....I think you will make the shop your favorite place to visit most times.

Chibson

VIP Contributor
Yeah, I have seen such situations where by only a mall or a particular supermarket is selling a particular product. This may be as a result of the material being very old and can't and it can also be as a result of scarcity. The people that are usually involved in this kind of business usually make a lot of money because there is no competition and they can sell for any price they want.

Lens1000

VIP Contributor
The article struck me and it sparkled a new idea. Selling a unique product mean been innovative and creative. You can make it quickly in the business world when you are innovative and creative. It's something that gives me headway in my offline businesses. It's creativity and passion to introduce something uncommon

Setho

VIP Contributor
I remember that there was a time somebody started a recycling business here. The business was set up in such a way that you can purchase some goods and services and then people in metal scraps plastic waste. It sounded very unusual at first but with time it started making a lot of money but then it did not become a monopoly anymore as other people started rivaling him.

Wisdom01

Valued Contributor
Well this could be in another dimension , because selling a unique product and trying to create a monopoly could also be a disadvantage when the product have less demand in the market , that's why you see people are not buying it or patronising the business , inorder not to waste capital analyse the business very well

Mika

VIP Contributor
If you want to succeed in your business, you should always sell unique products. If you are selling the same products that a lot of people are already selling, you may not be able to survive the competition, and your business will fail. It might be difficult to introduce unique products but it pays in the long run.

btaliat

VIP Contributor
Business is a game of strategy. Every coach wants to win but not all coaches will win. The winning depends on the coach with better idea. If you want to set up a business, sell what are scarce and before people will try to copy you, you must have made your name and gain.

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
Well this could be in another dimension , because selling a unique product and trying to create a monopoly could also be a disadvantage when the product have less demand in the market , that's why you see people are not buying it or patronising the business , inorder not to waste capital analyse the business very well
If you have heard of the fidget spinner, it is a toy that you hold and you can spin it. That's all. But since the product is unique that was a hit in Hongkong and even in our country. However, when the hype faded the toy was left in the shelves of the toy store. Now the fidget spinner has been forgotten but it can serve a good lesson for the retailers.

Wisdom01

Valued Contributor
If you have heard of the fidget spinner, it is a toy that you hold and you can spin it. That's all. But since the product is unique that was a hit in Hongkong and even in our country. However, when the hype faded the toy was left in the shelves of the toy store. Now the fidget spinner has been forgotten but it can serve a good lesson for the retailers.
I think it's part of the reason most companies usually create new trends and innovation for the product they are building , so that once the first hype of the product is gone the new Innovation would actually help keep the product demand high enough that it won't just fade off like that

fmwinneer

yes , that eliminates the competition very good, just try to selll rare things more and you re good to go

Jasmine

VIP Contributor
You can create monopoly by selling unique products. However, your monopoly will not last long because soon there will be similar product, even better than your product. If you don't believe you can just check the mobile phone companies and mobile phone market. Samsung and Apple had monopoly for a long time, but now new companies have grown tremendously.