Selling Specific Items After Purchasing Them In Bulk Quantity

Good-Guy

VIP Contributor
We all know that selling regular products on shops is a kind of regular activity for many shop owners or supermarket owners. I have noticed that supermarkets provide good for much lower price as compared to regular shopkeeper. I once asked a shopkeeper that why do supermarkets provide goods at much lower rate, he responded and said that supermarkets buy goods in bulk quantity and this is why they are able to sell at much lower price because companies usually provide them discounts when they buy products in bulk quantity. So do you think it will be a good idea to start a business at some place and sell specific items only after purchasing them in bulk quantity? Would it be profitable to do so?

btaliat

VIP Contributor
It is always advisable to buy in bulk and sell on units. By this, there will be much gain. For instance, a bag of pure water is sold at ₦150 Nigerian money in my area and the unit is sold at ₦20 whereas it has 20 units. You can see the gain. It is the wish of most people to start bigger because they know the benefits but lack of money turned them to a retailer.

funmi

Verified member
It is very profitable when you buy goods in bulk and sell. This is better than buying goods in bits or small portion. Your own price will be cheaper than those that didn't buy in bulk. Another advantage of buying in bulk is that when people realized that your price is favourable, it will make them to buy more of the goods.

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
In the wet market here are stalls that sell in wholesale. For example you will buy baked items worth $20 you can sell those baked products for a good mark-up. Wholesalers sell at a lower price for the benefit of the retailers (they are the sellers to the customers). Buying in wholesale would require a big capital. Some wholesales would give the buyer a credit line that is a big help for the retailers who have no capital.

Good-Guy

VIP Contributor
It is always advisable to buy in bulk and sell on units. By this, there will be much gain. For instance, a bag of pure water is sold at ₦150 Nigerian money in my area and the unit is sold at ₦20 whereas it has 20 units. You can see the gain. It is the wish of most people to start bigger because they know the benefits but lack of money turned them to a retailer.

There are some cases where buying in bulk might not be profitable. For example, there are many shop owners who might not buy products in bulk quantity because the product might get expired if it does not sell earlier. The case of supermarkets is quite different. Supermarkets attract more customers than small shops and therefore, the chances of selling bulk items in supermarkets is quite higher than small retailers.

A K Rao

In fact that is what most of the retailer-shop keepers they do. They get different-related goods in the bulk and sell at a retail price. In fact, if one purchases in bulk apart from getting the goods at cheaper rates the retailers get some attractive free schemes. An example will be one can get electrical goods in bulk and sell them in retail and make good money. That is what is the basic business is.

sincerem

VIP Contributor
Supermarkets will always sell cheaper than retail shops cos they aren't retail shops, they're dealing on wholesale prices for each products kept on sale. They buy directly from the vendors/producers in a wholesale quantities which comes at a reduced price. While the medium, small shops come to them to buy in retail prices.

Last edited:

Chibson

VIP Contributor
There are some cases where buying in bulk might not be profitable. For example, there are many shop owners who might not buy products in bulk quantity because the product might get expired if it does not sell earlier. The case of supermarkets is quite different. Supermarkets attract more customers than small shops and therefore, the chances of selling bulk items in supermarkets is quite higher than small retailers.
I understand your point but there is no way someone will make profit if he does not buy goods in bulk. Before you buy any product then you should probably have the idea if it is in demand or not depending on the kind of area your shop is in. Buying goods in bulk will also make it cheaper and will probably give you a lot of gains if you're able to sale all m

Chibson

VIP Contributor
Supermarkets will always sell cheaper than retail shops cos they aren't retail shops, they're dealing on wholesale prices for each products kept on sale. They buy directed from the vendors/producers in a wholesale quantities which comes at a reduced price. While the medium, small shops come to them to buy in retail prices.
Your assertion is good but it is not completely true everywhere. One thing that I know supermarkets is that they sell quality goods and anything you by there is of course original. I am the kind of person that goes to the supermarket to buy things occasionally and sometimes when I buy some products in the supermarket I will find out that they are cheaper in some shops or stores.

sincerem

VIP Contributor
Your assertion is good but it is not completely true everywhere. One thing that I know supermarkets is that they sell quality goods and anything you by there is of course original. I am the kind of person that goes to the supermarket to buy things occasionally and sometimes when I buy some products in the supermarket I will find out that they are cheaper in some shops or stores.
Your assertion is true, their is no doubt. In some supermarket they sell costly than the retail shop. It depends on how the supermarket owner decided to fix the price of such product. It might be he or she is looking for excess profits, or its caused due to the price he bought, which is a bit high, and he sales to recoup the amount spent and make gain too.

Dora Wi

I think it's not the bulk-buying that makes their products cheaper, it's the fact that supermarkets have a lot more customers, especially if they are part of a big chain / franchise. A newer, smaller business won't be able to provide the same prices and be as profitable even if buying in bulk because they won't have the same exposure.

Sherman198

VIP Contributor
Buying in bulk is the best while trying to get profits easily. Most malls or supermarkets sells the best products yet their products are still cheap not expensive as those who buys pieces from the manufacturers. I think manufacturers give excess discounts to those who buys in large quantities, even though, those products are of quality type. I think it's from this discounts that supermarkets make their gains.

Wisdom01

Valued Contributor
Its profitable to do so, the only problem would be the capital and the invested amount as it would cost a lot of money to start the business, because those shop rite stores that buys in large quantities from the manufacturer actually got the money in huge quantity to buy from the producer and not in units because it will be odd

Setho

VIP Contributor
I have been in a similar business like this before and to be honest it has been actually very fruitful. What I dealt was at that time mostly phone accessories and replacements. I will go to e-commerce site of mostly Chinese original order for phone accessories like earpiece, batteries. It was relatively cheaper there and when I have the day shift then I will sell it in pieces.

Mataracy

VIP Contributor
This type of business use to be very lucrative and profitable. When you buy from the whole seller there will be a lot of gain there. For example , selling of petty things like Touch light,handkerchief , polish etc ,all these type of goods are very lucrative especially when you sell from a good location.