Self Defense Ideas and Considerations

selena1

Verified member
Our senior citizens and single people of any age are often first to feel threatened and that makes the single senior citizen the most concerned according to my experience. A few years ago I spent a year or so helping to set up and manage a couple of very large Neighborhood Watch and Community Watch groups in areas of predominantly older singles and senior citizens. I am active in several national and international forums where professionals from all walks of life, interact and correspond. Here are some self defense ideas that are currently being discussed on a philosophy of self defense, weaponry and martial arts forum that I have been quite involved with recently

. I've used the ideas and discussion of the forum to guide my writing but the opinions and observations here are my own, alone. 1. Let's start with the most basic concept. The first and most important self defense tactic is to NOT BE THERE. And if one is THERE then the next most important thing is to NOT COMMUNICATE. You will find that the first two methods a top attorney uses to defend his client is to try and have an alibi for that client (showing the client was not there) and to instruct the client to not say anything but have an attorney handle all communications. There is a maxim in philosophy that there are only two crimes in the universe; being there and communicating; and that all crimes are just different mixtures of those two ingredients. In addition that same philosophical doctrine establishes that the only way out of that trap of criminality is to Be There ever more effectively and to Communicate ever more effectively as the greatest crime of all is not being anywhere (death) and not communicating at all (death again).

So let's take this philosophical position and extrapolate it toward effective self defense. That is, stay away from or get out of dangerous neighborhoods, groups and situations if there is any possible way to do so. Only if cornered or not able to get away or if in your own home or if with a child or elderly person that eliminates the possibility of getting away -- should one stand and argue, fight, use any sort of weapon or shoot. And then, if there is no other way out and only then... fight to the death and hopefully only the death but at least FIRST the death of the attacker. Only police have the luxury of partially disabling an attacker and that is often only when the law enforcement officers heavily outnumber the person attacking SOMEONE ELSE.