Self care strategies that help improve mental health

Mental health issues such as anxiety, too much stress, depression and panic attacks can make life seem so unbearable sometimes. But they don't have to prevent you from living a happy and productive life. There are some self care strategies that you can try which will help reduce their impact and improve your mental health. I have been doing them for a while and they have been helpful alot. They include:

1. Physical activity - engaging in physical exercise stimulates the brain to produce dopamine which makes you feel relaxed and think clearly so you can deal with any issues appropriately. It also lowers the production of serotonin, the stress hormone.

2. Eating healthy food - they say you are what you eat. If you eat unhealthy food, you will become unhealthy. But eating food rich in fruits, vegetables and healthy proteins, you will be healthy. In fact fruits and vegetables have an immediate effect on your mental health as they make you feel good and satisfied.

Other self care strategies that help alot include journalling, socializing with people who make you happy, engaging in hobbies and reading self help books and motivationals.

Augusta

VIP Contributor
I’m one person that don’t joke with my mental health. I guard it jealousy, I don’t toy with anuthing that will disturb my sanity because it can really make or mar one’s life. If you need to focus and enjoy your God-given goals in life then you must protect and fight against anything that want to affect your mental health.

sincerem

VIP Contributor
Very correct dear, this challenges you listed out, comprising of depression, stress, and anxiety can cause mental disorder if it occurs frequently. That's why we ought to take our time well to do the needful in order to avoid entering into danger of facing mental disorder. Engaging on regular exercises, and eating good food rich in health can help reduce the risk.

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
May I add point #3 in your list which is don't worry and be happy. It is the title of an old song which I still advocate because when you are happy your body's immunity is stronger than when you are sad or simply bored. As they say exercise and good food would give you longevity but I always have to add the happiness that we can get in simple ways.

Mika

VIP Contributor
If you do not balance your life with healthy foods and exercise, you may not have a healthy life. Sedentary life and unhealthy food make you old when you are still in your 40s. When you are not eating healthy and when you are not doing enough physical activities, you will be at risk of diabetes and heart disease.

Sotherefore

VIP Contributor
Very correct dear, this challenges you listed out, comprising of depression, stress, and anxiety can cause mental disorder if it occurs frequently. That's why we ought to take our time well to do the needful in order to avoid entering into danger of facing mental disorder. Engaging on regular exercises, and eating good food rich in health can help reduce the risk.
That is true but She has not mentioned spending time with family member because I believe that is one of the best way you can strengthen your mental health .spending time also with friends can also help because it will relieve you of all the stress and keep your body and mind it good condition. this is also necessary.

sincerem

VIP Contributor
That is true but She has not mentioned spending time with family member because I believe that is one of the best way you can strengthen your mental health .spending time also with friends can also help because it will relieve you of all the stress and keep your body and mind it good condition. this is also necessary.
Yes, it will simply keep your mind in a conducive state. That's what is believed to be safe health state of mind. Stress can really disrupt our thinking, cause state of apathy when we over stress ourselves long period. It leads to mental disorder when it is frequently observed in our everyday life on Earth.

Sotherefore

VIP Contributor
Yes, it will simply keep your mind in a conducive state. That's what is believed to be safe health state of mind. Stress can really disrupt our thinking, cause state of apathy when we over stress ourselves long period. It leads to mental disorder when it is frequently observed in our everyday life on Earth.
According to research I have done about stress, they said it has the ability to alter the thinking of an individual and can even make an individual to be suicidal when in serious stress. After the research I started imagining how this will even be possible when you have the ability to control your thinking and carry out any action in your body that makes you feel comfortable.

sincerem

VIP Contributor
According to research I have done about stress, they said it has the ability to alter the thinking of an individual and can even make an individual to be suicidal when in serious stress. After the research I started imagining how this will even be possible when you have the ability to control your thinking and carry out any action in your body that makes you feel comfortable.
That's one their is individual training. You can simply engage in individual training as your body can carry. And not just over stressing yourself again doing sports. When it comes to stress it comes from everywhere. Their is some levels you'll do fitness activities it becomes stress to the person. That's why I don't over do exercises which my body can't carry.

Sotherefore

VIP Contributor
That's one their is individual training. You can simply engage in individual training as your body can carry. And not just over stressing yourself again doing sports. When it comes to stress it comes from everywhere. Their is some levels you'll do fitness activities it becomes stress to the person. That's why I don't over do exercises which my body can't carry.
All those ones can easily be overcomes by deep sleep and maybe spending time with friends but there are deep stress that are as a result of family problems, lacks of money or maybe as a result of unfulfill life achievement.. at this point an individual can be so hopeless and may possibly start believing that the world has pass him by.