Seasonal fruits and veggies are packed with more nutrition

arunima25

Verified member
"Eat what you Grandma ate"- said one of the well-known nutritionists and dieticians. And we all know that our earlier generations lived more synchronized with Nature and so experienced a more healthy life. They ate what was seasonal and local. Nature is the smartest and we have to trust it. Seasonal fruits have a lot of advantages- they are high in nutritional value, they are fresh and so no waxing and preservation in cold stores is done to make them look fresh, they have better flavour and texture, they are abundantly available in season and they are cheaper and affordable. Nature has the solution according to the issues of the season.
In summers, we face chances of dehydration. So, nature gives us mangoes, watermelon, grapefruits, cucumber, tomato, mushroom, eggplant and lettuce etc to keep us hydrated. In the rainy season, we are more vulnerable to infections and waterborne diseases. So, fruits and veggies like cranberries, blueberries, apples, broccoli, spinach, sweet potatoes, eggplant etc help us fight the infection. In winter, the outside temperature falls below our body temperature and it makes us prone to catching a cold, cough and infections. Nature gives us what will be packed with Vitamin C and nutrients that will help us boost our immunity. We get citrus fruits like sweet lime, oranges, apple, oranges, guava, strawberries, pomegranate etc and for fruits, we get cauliflower, cabbages, peas, green beans, carrots, radish, beets and mustard green etc.
So, no doubt that nature is sensible and smart. Just listen to it.

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
I agree with the first line of this thread about eating what your grandma had been eating. My grandparents lived a longer life and part of that is the food that they eat. With the fruits in season we always have that. Right now we have some small mangoes, an oblong watermelon and some banana. Fruits in season are cheap so we grab the opportunity to buy.

Mika

VIP Contributor
Currently, it is mango season in my place. But I can also see apples in the market and a lot of people buy apples. Well, apples are good, but this is not apple season. The apples you get to eat contains a lot of pesticides and also was to keep them fresh. Since mangoes are in season, you will benefit more by eating mangoes then the apples.

arunima25

Verified member
Currently, it is mango season in my place. But I can also see apples in the market and a lot of people buy apples. Well, apples are good, but this is not apple season. The apples you get to eat contains a lot of pesticides and also was to keep them fresh. Since mangoes are in season, you will benefit more by eating mangoes then the apples.
I see that happening here too in my country. People who can afford to get expensive fruits go for exported varieties over the cheap local seasonal fruits. For some, it becomes a lifestyle status symbol. Well, those exported expensive fruits will do more good to people who get them seasonally and locally grown. Having them once in a while is okay but one should prefer locally grown seasonal fruits most of the time. The cold storage preservation and waxing to keep them fresh for long do more bad to our health than doing good.
I eat apples only when in season and they come from other states of our country and not from abroad.

arunima25

Verified member
I agree with the first line of this thread about eating what your grandma had been eating. My grandparents lived a longer life and part of that is the food that they eat. With the fruits in season we always have that. Right now we have some small mangoes, an oblong watermelon and some banana. Fruits in season are cheap so we grab the opportunity to buy.
Earlier generations followed nature more than what we do and that was the key to their good health. They did not interfere much with natural things...there was no hybrid production or altering of the nature of soil where foods are grown. So all that they ate was organic and fresh and suitable to their genetics and metabolism based on the geographical location.
Other than the nutritional value these seasonal fruits bring, they are cheap. Isn't it a bonus?

Augusta

VIP Contributor
"Eat what you Grandma ate"- said one of the well-known nutritionists and dieticians. And we all know that our earlier generations lived more synchronized with Nature and so experienced a more healthy life. They ate what was seasonal and local. Nature is the smartest and we have to trust it. Seasonal fruits have a lot of advantages- they are high in nutritional value, they are fresh and so no waxing and preservation in cold stores is done to make them look fresh, they have better flavour and texture, they are abundantly available in season and they are cheaper and affordable. Nature has the solution according to the issues of the season.
In summers, we face chances of dehydration. So, nature gives us mangoes, watermelon, grapefruits, cucumber, tomato, mushroom, eggplant and lettuce etc to keep us hydrated. In the rainy season, we are more vulnerable to infections and waterborne diseases. So, fruits and veggies like cranberries, blueberries, apples, broccoli, spinach, sweet potatoes, eggplant etc help us fight the infection. In winter, the outside temperature falls below our body temperature and it makes us prone to catching a cold, cough and infections. Nature gives us what will be packed with Vitamin C and nutrients that will help us boost our immunity. We get citrus fruits like sweet lime, oranges, apple, oranges, guava, strawberries, pomegranate etc and for fruits, we get cauliflower, cabbages, peas, green beans, carrots, radish, beets and mustard green etc.
So, no doubt that nature is sensible and smart. Just listen to it.
Okay if you say so but I think it isn’t about the season but more about the nutritional value of a particular fruits whether it is in or out of season. But the thing is that we just have to continue to consume mostly fruits that will impact the body positively

Sotherefore

VIP Contributor
Some of the important fruits are really dangerous because of the chemical that are injected on the fruit to last for a longer period of time and during the transportation days to a location in which it will be consumed. Some of the chemical injected into the fruit can be linked to cancer and other health related problems.

Empress

Verified member
We have always known fruit and veggies to provide numerous nutrient to the body most especially when eating the fresh it will contain the complete nutrient and also work very well in the body. Eating fresh fruit and veggies makes it to be natural nutrient not the ones that might have been mixed with chemicals

arunima25

Verified member
Okay if you say so but I think it isn’t about the season but more about the nutritional value of a particular fruits whether it is in or out of season. But the thing is that we just have to continue to consume mostly fruits that will impact the body positively
Well, it's also about the season and better if the fruits and vegetables are local. You will fijd nutritional values in all the local and seasonal fruits if you are having a balanced diet . What is not in season must be kept in cokd storage or treated with something to make it stay fresh. Not only does it ruin the nutritional values of the fruits but also some of these preservative methods do more harm than good.

Setho

VIP Contributor
It will be very beneficial for you to try to take advantage of seasonal food especially fruits. Fruits and vegetables provide a wide range of essential nutrients that are needed for bodybuilding. Right now it is Orange season around this time and I try to take them as much as possible.

arunima25

Verified member
Some of the important fruits are really dangerous because of the chemical that are injected on the fruit to last for a longer period of time and during the transportation days to a location in which it will be consumed. Some of the chemical injected into the fruit can be linked to cancer and other health related problems.
I agree there. One should try to include more of seasonal and local fruits and vegetables in the diet. The preservatives and chemicals used to keep fruits fresh for long might do more harm than good. You have made a right point here.

arunima25

Verified member
It will be very beneficial for you to try to take advantage of seasonal food especially fruits. Fruits and vegetables provide a wide range of essential nutrients that are needed for bodybuilding. Right now it is Orange season around this time and I try to take them as much as possible.
Nature is very wise and the seasonal fruits come with benefits for the season. Oranges come in cold season as we need extra doses of Vitamin C to build our immunity and help us fight the cold, cough and other health issues that arise due to drop in mercury. Good that you are taking them in plenty when they are in season.

Sotherefore

VIP Contributor
I agree there. One should try to include more of seasonal and local fruits and vegetables in the diet. The preservatives and chemicals used to keep fruits fresh for long might do more harm than good. You have made a right point here.
Yes it is absolutely necessary that we have to do this because we do not have to trust most of this fruit that is being sold at the market especially over here .

most farmers who are planting most of this fruit does not have the knowledge and ability to understand the right amount of fertilizers to be applied into a particular plant , as a result of this they were always like to introduce large quantity of fertilizers into most of these plans for the main purpose of making quick money because they believe that if they introduced so much into the plant the yield and productivity of the plan will be high for them to sale for a profit .

when too much of fertilizers are introduced into plants in large quantities plants directly absorb These fertilizer and build up its cells thereby leaving out a large traces of the chemical in itself..

A local farmers don't even know the right time they have to apply these chemicals and most of them will apply it at the wrong time and they do not give it enough time for the fertilizers to be completely eradicated from the fruit or vegetable naturally ..it's somehow dangerous

E

eldavis

LoL the first line actually got my attention though, it's funny how back then they had access to lesser technology yet they lived a more healthy life than us, in terms of physical strength, they had it, in terms of living longer lives they did and in terms of being healthy, they where alot healthy than most of us today. This is simply cause of what they eat. Most of the things we have today as food, no longer pass through the natural process but have been made through chemicals.

arunima25

Verified member
LoL the first line actually got my attention though, it's funny how back then they had access to lesser technology yet they lived a more healthy life than us, in terms of physical strength, they had it, in terms of living longer lives they did and in terms of being healthy, they where alot healthy than most of us today. This is simply cause of what they eat. Most of the things we have today as food, no longer pass through the natural process but have been made through chemicals.
I totally agree there. People followed Nature and so they lived healthier. Nature knows the best. They followed rhythms of nature, be it day and night rhythm or the rhythm of the seasons. They woke up with sun and slept with it. They followed seasons and had seasonal harvests to enjoy on their table. But with advancements in technology, man presumed himself to be smarter than Nature and started playing with it and exploiting it.
And we see and suffer the effects. Now we have talks around the globe to go back to our roots and follow what our elders did.

E

eldavis

I totally agree there. People followed Nature and so they lived healthier. Nature knows the best. They followed rhythms of nature, be it day and night rhythm or the rhythm of the seasons. They woke up with sun and slept with it. They followed seasons and had seasonal harvests to enjoy on their table. But with advancements in technology, man presumed himself to be smarter than Nature and started playing with it and exploiting it.
And we see and suffer the effects. Now we have talks around the globe to go back to our roots and follow what our elders did.
That's right, these days we have more sickness than we had before, we her so many cases of different kind of cancer or heart diseases and the likes simply cause of the kind of things we eat, all in the name of technology, we in poison to our system, these so called processed food or making us of fertilizers and chemical to make the thing bigger has caused alot of damaged. The painful thing is that it might be alot more difficult for people to go back to how things where.

arunima25

Verified member
That's right, these days we have more sickness than we had before, we her so many cases of different kind of cancer or heart diseases and the likes simply cause of the kind of things we eat, all in the name of technology, we in poison to our system, these so called processed food or making us of fertilizers and chemical to make the thing bigger has caused alot of damaged. The painful thing is that it might be alot more difficult for people to go back to how things where.
Yes, it's not possible to go back to the old way of living in a complete way. The socio-economic life has changed so much ahd we can't undo it. We have caused so much irreparable damage to our environment. But yes, every small step to get close to Nature and follow a healthy lifestyle is welcomed. People are going for greener and organic wau of living and that's a welcome step.