Savings of housewives

niche

Verified member
In South Asia, other than women who have studied for professional qualifications, working in large cities, most women get married after they complete their education and become housewives. These housewives, especially women living in small towns with few job opportunities are only cooking, cleaning and looking after their families. They are financially dependent on their husband, who is usually paying them a fixed amount monthly to take care of their household expenses.
In some cases, especially if the husband is a business owner or making plenty of money he may divert some of the income to his wife. In a few cases the wife may inherit some money or assets from her family or relatives. However, most housewives do not have much savings of their own
Are most housewives you know also financially dependent on their husband, or do they have their own source of income?

btaliat

VIP Contributor
This is the practice in some African countries too but these days, people the era is fading as we now have some women who are housewives but are still working to provide for themselves and even the family. It is not a good practice for wives to be solely depend on her husband.

Suba

Staff member
In Southeast Asia, the mothers I know have their own income, although in general it is less than the husband's income, if a husband works in an office both in the government and the private sector, the housewife does not just sit around waiting for gifts from her husband, they can at least get opened a small shop even though those who bought it were only close neighbors.

niche

Verified member
Here most of the middle class married women are only housewives looking after their families, they do not have shops since a large investment will be required. They also do not have the time. Where do the mothers open their shop? How much does it cost to open a shop in the area where you live?

D

Deleted member 28127

Some housewives are doing this job for some other family for money because women that work don't have time for cooking or cleaning so they hire other housewives to do all this process for a monthly salary except if the salary of the husband is enough and I do not think in the current situation that majority of husband salary isn't enough after having 2 or 3 children due to excessive life expense.

niche

Verified member
In India the income of a person often depends on whether they are married and have a family. Usually married men with children are allowed to make plenty of money if they are willing to work hard, while older single women are not allowed to make much money online, even if they work hard if they have no children. So married men usually make enough money to take care of their wives, who focus on their cooking, cleaning, looking after their family.

kayode10

VIP Contributor
The case is quite different over here as most of the women are engaging in paid salary or have their business of their home. One thing is that women will still ask their husbands to give them money no matter how rich they are. Women only save their money to buy things on themselves but expect the husband to provide all the things needed in the house.

HeavLeighGill

I'm technically a housewife in the United States but also work from home while tending to the baby and two toddlers. I help with bills and so does my husband, and then we both get a little bit of money to do what we want to with each month.

Mika

VIP Contributor
If the women are not working, they are financially dependent on their husbands. However, for working women, there is no need for financial dependency. However, in the farming community, even though women work as much as men, all the while managing the family, do not have access to money as everything is managed by husbands.