Must you put in a formal resignation when you want to quit a job?

Etini

Valued Contributor
I see people sometimes leave their jobs so quietly. No resignation, no prior information. They just close from work on a particular day and the next day, they don't bother going. They have quit. Is there a legal implication to this way of resigning? Given that quitting a job like that leaves the organization stranded especially if that employee was handling a sensitive position or task, can the employer sue the employee for that act?

I have been close to people who have used this ghosting method to quit their jobs. One of them, the boss was calling and threatening that she would get him arrested for quitting like that. That got me confused. Doesn't an employee have the right to stop working at anytime he/she wishes? Does he/she owe the employer any explanation of his personal decisions? My opinion is that an employee is free to work out of a job anytime he/she pleases. What's your opinion?

Ganibade

Verified member
It is very good to put a formal resignation.
when somebody want to resign from a company.
It is very good to inform the management or administration of the Company that you want to resign your appointment,because if you leave the company without notification, and if anything happen in your department or your company, you'll be the first suspect at that moment and it can cause a lot of problem. Company Will give you like 3 months to work in order to replace you before you leave, or you resigned from the company.
The company prepared your letter of resignation to any company that you are going or whom it may concern.
This is very good ideas to follow in order to present the letter of resignation for the future to collect your pension from the company and if you want to start another company job, the company will request for it in other to satisfied that you are not committing any crime from where your have left.

Carpon

Valued Contributor
It is indeed not a very cool thing to just leave your job without any notification or official resignation. And actually there is a law which binds employees to their job and cannot just quit usually without a notice and the same also applies to the employer. Am not some law person so I can't directly State it but I know about this and in cases of such an event, the individual has all legal right to sue the organization to court and vice versa.

The first thing a person should do before taking such an action is place himself in the shoes of the organization. How will he feel when one of his employees decides to just leave without properly informing them and giving them some notice or sometimes not even saying he or she is leaving.

I am of the opinion that any responsible person should not do this sort of a thing.

King bell

VIP Contributor
It is ideal to put in a formal resignation when you have to leave a job on good terms. Here are some of the most common situations that involve resigning and what to expect.

1) You have been fired
2) You have received many negative performance reviews
3) Your job has no future due to changing work conditions or company losses
4) The company is doing something illegal or unethical and you fear that continued employment could be damaging your reputation as well as the agency's image.
5) There is bullying, harassment, or discrimination in your workplace and you feel uncomfortable remaining in the situation any longer.

A formal resignation allows for an orderly transition into something new. A resignation is formal if you have followed the correct procedures for letting someone know about your resignation. A person wanting to quit the job in a way that does not comply with official procedures might be disciplined or even arrested for theft of services.

To resign a position, a letter of resignation must be written and signed by the employee before he/she hands in their employment papers. The letter should state whether the resignation is voluntary or involuntary and should indicate why the employee wants to leave .

Etini

Valued Contributor
It is indeed not a very cool thing to just leave your job without any notification or official resignation. And actually there is a law which binds employees to their job and cannot just quit usually without a notice and the same also applies to the employer. Am not some law person so I can't directly State it but I know about this and in cases of such an event, the individual has all legal right to sue the organization to court and vice versa.

The first thing a person should do before taking such an action is place himself in the shoes of the organization. How will he feel when one of his employees decides to just leave without properly informing them and giving them some notice or sometimes not even saying he or she is leaving.

I am of the opinion that any responsible person should not do this sort of a thing.
Sir, it seems you have not worked for some companies that don't even care about you. How can a company that doesn't care about its workers deserve the dignity of a resignation letter? My brother I would just ghost them and leave them stranded. People that work with good companies even discuss their leaving mutually and keep the relationship unstrained. I have a friend that worked in a private school that was not treating him fine. He wanted to quit. I advise him to quit some few weeks before exams and he was teaching a very important subject.

He did as I told him and the school was so stranded. They had to beg him to just come and conduct the exams and mark. He charged them outrageously. The other friend just got her pay and never resumed the following day. No one intends to hurt an organization that has treated him/ her fairly. Some companies deserve ghosting. Others don't.

Holicent

VIP Contributor
You should always put in a formal resignation when you want to quit a job.
It's not only the right thing to do, it's also the law. In fact, it's the only way that your employer can legally release you from your employment contract.

That being said, if you're considering leaving on good terms with your current employer, it's still important to formally resign. It will help make sure that any potential damages or legal action is handled fairly and fairly quickly.

It may also be beneficial to have an exit interview with your boss before resigning in order to explore some of your concerns about the company and find out if there's anything else you wish he could do for you as well as any new ideas he has for how he'd like things done differently going forward after you've left his team. Also, If you're not sure whether or not it's appropriate for you to leave your job without following the company's steps for resigning, ask your manager or HR if there's anything else they'd like you to do before you leave.

Etini

Valued Contributor
@Holicent I appreciate your comment. It is very insightful. But considering the Nigerian factor, with the way our employers behave somehow, one might be forced to resign without utterung a word to them. In an organization where you are slaved and underpaid, and you are also verbally abused, what use is it to put in a resignation letter? So that they can have time to prepare a replacement for you? I would not. I would leave you stranded so you have a little taste of what it means to be wicked. I would even call in sick and keep your expectations up and you would never see me again.

I have seen a guy that went to attend his dad's burial after the organization refused to give him leave. He was sacked on resumption. That is not the kind of organization you leave on friendly terms. It is not possible to be friends with such an organization. For me, if my workplace is good, I would drop in my resignation before I leave.