Marketing Vs. Advertising: Are They Same?

Mika

VIP Contributor
When it comes to the newspaper, that is more of paid advertising unless the business is mentioned in an article. Marketing is the mother word which means to connect to the market. Going door to door in offering the product or service is not advertising but simply a marketing chore just the same as distributing flyers to potential customers.
Some of the marketing tactics that were very effective in the past are no longer effective these days. For example, door to door marketing is not working anymore, people do not entertain strangers in their house. Telemarketing was also very effective in the past, these days it no longer works as people do not receive calls from strange numbers.

Jasmine

VIP Contributor
I want to sell my ebooks, I advertise. I want to build my writing career, I market. This is the difference between marketing and advertising. I will give another example, I do social media marketing, which also include advertising. I promote a product for X amount and publish the ads for x days, or I promote the company and promote for x days.

Mika

VIP Contributor
I don't think that is the case Advertisement has a short term goals, it is focused on product sales. Marketing is focused on long term goals, it is targeted towards building brand, customer awareness etc. These two looks similar concepts but they are different and mean different things. You will have to see how marketing is used and how ads are used.

Lens1000

VIP Contributor
I think the term advertising and marketing are used with the same goal irrespective of the meaning they have. Be it advertisements or marketing, the bottom line is that we are trying to maximise profit in our various businesses. We pay for advertisements and marketing to make more profit and that's just the simple truth.

Jasmine

VIP Contributor
Technically speaking marketing and advertising are not very different, both try to build revenue through selling. However, the only difference is marketing is used for broader term, where as advertising is used for specific term. Marketing uses all sorts of platforms and resources, where as advertising uses specific platform for promotion.

kayode10

VIP Contributor
Advertisement is a form of marketing. Marketing is all about acquiring new customers for your business. Advertisement is a marketing process in which you tell your prospects some of the benefits they are going to derive from using your product. You include some call To action so that they will not delay buying from you.

Jonaville

while they may not have the same meaning, I still believe marketing and advertising can be used interchangeably. The creation of awareness to your goods and services so that people will get to know your products qualifies as both marketing and advertising. Maybe it is not supposed to be so in a literal sense, but that is just how I see it.

Grahamd

In a broader sense, marketing is a complex discipline that includes the ability to analyze a niche and competitors, predict consumer demand, and skillfully build communications with the target audience. In short, a professional marketer must understand how to turn the needs of people (B2C) or organizations (B2B) in services and goods into consumer demand. Now I use advertising platforms and show myself well, if you are interested in what is the difference, read the page for bitmedia

linneasandel

Marketing, in its most basic form, is the act of recognizing consumer requirements and finding the best way to satisfy those needs. Advertising, on the other hand, is the practise of marketing a business and its products or services through paid channels. To put it another way, advertising is a part of marketing. If you want to effectively advertise your brand name offline, try using cost-effective promotional goods, promotional sign banners, posters, and newspapers.

Mika

VIP Contributor
Marketing derives from the word market, a place where buying and selling of goods and services take place. Marketing is a term used for promotional campaign that aims at building brands, introducing products and services to the customers, building customer base etc.

Advertising is also a term used for promotional campaign for business, products, and services. However, advertising mainly aims at driving sales.

Marketing and Advertising sound almost similar but they slightly differ from one another. You market your business to build brand, you advertise your product to generate sales.

Marketing and Advertising both use the same tactics, the only difference the goals they are trying to achieve. If you pay newspaper to publish about your company that is marketing, and if you publish promotional material about your product that is advertising.

Jasmine

VIP Contributor
When it comes to the newspaper, that is more of paid advertising unless the business is mentioned in an article. Marketing is the mother word which means to connect to the market. Going door to door in offering the product or service is not advertising but simply a marketing chore just the same as distributing flyers to potential customers.
You have given a perfect example on this topic, going door to door is marketing, running a promotional message on newspaper or the internet is advertising. Distributing flyers, giving free samples are also marketing methods, but airing message about your product on TV or YouTube videos is advertising. There is a thin line.

D

Deleted member 13140

Well I think advertising can be said in different terms and also mean different things, both can be the same, in my theory which is - Advertising can be used for brand awareness and like you said also marketing is for brand awareness, but I also believe advertising is also the same,
For example on Facebook I see sponsored Posts aimed at getting brand awareness and their also called advertising.

Marketing can also be for generating sales.

My point is, both can be aimed at the same purpose.

btaliat

VIP Contributor
I love the way you explained the two synonymous words but I may say advertising is one of the forms of marketing. You can as well advertise your brand. For instance, if Apple is advertising their phones, they are at the same time advertising their products and also their brand.

Advertisement is a technique to create awareness about a particular product/service to existing and new customers. One advertisement promotes only one product/service. Marketing is the activity, set of institutions, and processes for creating, communicating, delivering, and exchanging offerings that have value for customers, clients, partners, and society at large

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor

Mika

VIP Contributor
Advertising is mostly related to generating sales. While marketing can also help you generate sales, it is more related to building your brand, introducing your products and services, etc. Marketing aims to build interest in your business and products. Marketing is a long-term strategy where as advertising is a short term strategy.

Chibson

VIP Contributor
This is a very good explanation you have given her because a lot of people get confused by this two words. When you market your products you are building your business and at the same time making your brand reputable. Advertising is important to generate sales and make profit as the case may be.