Making and selling banana chips for a home based business

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
I have learned making banana chips from our housemaid. For the ingredients you need plantain banana that we call “Saba” that is more for cooking than eating raw. The banana will be sliced thinly then soaked in water with a little salt and more sugar (but the quantity should not make the water syrupy). After 5 to 10 minutes dry the banana chips. Fry into a pan with generous cook oil until the banana becomes crispy. Upon harvesting from the pan place the banana chips in a sieve to drain and let it cool before packaging or eating.

IMG_8217 saging tilad.JPG
The banana chips can earn a profit that is more than the capital. For example your capital is $20 then the profit should be around $25 to $30. Test the market by selling to nearby neighbors if you cannot afford to give them samples of your home made banana chips.

Sherman198

VIP Contributor
Well I don't know for your country though but that has been a legit and lucrative business since I have been a kid. I Iive in third tier country where people hawk stuffs. And it's popular to see hawkers, Hawking this chips. It's called plantain chips in my country and it has been part of major business for some tribes in my country.

Lens1000

VIP Contributor
Banana chips is a nice and very lucrative business. The business strive in my country too and serves as an alternative to fast food . It could be taken with a mineral when you feel hungry while you are busy and not ready to cook. In my home country, we call it 'small chops". It's a good business and the turnover is very high

Chibson

VIP Contributor
Plantain business generally is a very lucrative business in some areas especially in the Urban areas. In my area a chip of plantain can go as high as 500 naira to 1000 naira. That is over $1 for one. Imagine if you invested about $10 to $20 in the business then your profit will probably be up two times two of your investment. I am even thinking of investing on the business but I have limited amount of time.

Good-Guy

VIP Contributor
This sounds like a good idea but I am not sure if people in my city would like it. I have ever heard about or seen any such kind of product being launched in the market, so I have myself never tested such kind of product. Having said that, there are many brands of chips in my country and one of the most popular brand is Lay's. There are some local brands in here also but this thing you mentioned is quite innovative.

Mika

VIP Contributor
I do not doubt that this is a lucrative business, however, if you are selling packaged foods, you need a license of production and selling from a local agency (that's the rule in my home country), before you get the license your product will be tested in the lab for hygiene. There is a lot of paperwork to do.

Setho

VIP Contributor
The selling of banana chips after processing it is a very good business. I would advise you that you should not just make and sell it on a casual but instead you should try to create a brand identity. You can reach out to designers to design things like souvenirs and packing letters for you.

Wisdom01

Valued Contributor
Well those are fresh bananas, but marketing those banana chips seems to be the most important aspect , because they are fast selling mostly on busy areas and others ,since that's where the customers are certainly based on, the business is profitable just have the right strategy of making the business successful

Augusta

VIP Contributor
Plantain chips has been a rewarding business in my country for a long while now especially if you can make it very crunchy people make it that way because it is how it is loved here.it demand a little of work if you have the needed equipment to get it done properly

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
Plantain chips has been a rewarding business in my country for a long while now especially if you can make it very crunchy people make it that way because it is how it is loved here.
You are right that the quality matters much to the buyers. Especially with food products that the taste is what the customers buy it is easy to sell if the quality of your food is great. I only sell food that is of unquestionable quality and my reputation in our neighborhood never fails to bring me good business.