Long Term Business, Short Term Business, What’s the Difference?

Mika

VIP Contributor
If you break down the terminologies Long Term Business and Short Term Business you will start believing that Long Term Business is a business model aimed at doing business for an extended period of time, likewise Short Term Business is a business model aimed at a limited time period, for example, weeks, or months.

But is there something like Short Term Business?

If you ask me, there is no such thing as short-term business. I believe all businesses are built with long-term strategies, to sell products and services over an extended period of time.

Do you think someone will start a business, sell products for a couple of weeks or months, then shuts down the business and goes to the Bahamas and never starts a business again? Businesses might be selling seasonal products but businesses are never seasonal or short-term. Once you start a business, you will continue to do business until the business is lucrative.

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
In the business world there are the so called projects that are usually required by the government. One example of a short term business is the election campaign that the candidate will hire a firm to promote the candidate's brand. After the election the business is liquidated. Maybe they would wait for the next election to make a start up again.

sincerem

VIP Contributor
Sure their is no such business around, every business is built-in with long term strategies. No one will invest into a business and having in mind to run for a short while. Everyone's dream is to run for long term and deliver the business goods and become very much successful running such business initiative never to crumble.

Sherman198

VIP Contributor
Most business owners have the notion of making their business go long or succeed very long time. Nobody would have a business and will want it to short-lived. Unless if the owner is trying to migrate to another place or something. A business should stay longer enough to flourish and survive. Not short-lived!

Chibson

VIP Contributor
I personally think every business has both long-term plan and short-term plan in the sense that you will set the kind of finance you want achieve within a short period of time and also what you what he really long of time. Short term business plan does not necessary mean that when you meet your financial need within a short period of time you will close the business. It simply means what you want to achieve within a short period of time.

Augusta

VIP Contributor
Yeah I don't believe in short term business too. People never starts a business with the aim of shutting it down after a while. It is all about having a business that can even outlived them. But the truth is that businesses are shut down when it isn't working and one is losing money instead of gaining. Business will definitely shut down

Setho

VIP Contributor
There's actually a marked difference between a short-term and a long-term business goal. On a short-term, what is in the mind of the business owner is that the business will not last for long and he should see profits within a short time normally less than a year. But for a long-term investment the business owner intends that the business should be running for a long time and short-term profit is not very necessary.

Jasmine

VIP Contributor
Short term business means, you do a business for a short time and then move on. Seasonal business is a short term business. You sell items during the season and then close your business until the next season. For example, you can sell Christmas paraphernalia during the Christmas time and chose your business until the next season.

Jonaville

Of course no one will like the idea that their business is only there for a short term period. I believe every business person started the business with the hope that it can thrive and endure for as long as possible. They pray that they will be able to pass it on to the next generation.

Jasmine

VIP Contributor
well, actually some businesses are meant to be for a short term. For example all seasonal businesses are short term business. They do business this season and will come back only in the next season, or my never come back. Not all businesses are actually planned for a long term.

Mika

VIP Contributor
Whether you are starting a long term business or a short term business, you will have to equally hard to make your business successful. Imagine just abandoning the business after such hard work just because the business is geared towards short term mottifs. I think you need to work on a long term business model.