Leaving your job for a scholarship abroad?

This issue has always been a bone of contention for many. Even me, sometimes I do think of this question every week. Can I leave my well paying job to go study abroad?

It's not an easy decision to take alone because you have to way both sides and see the merits and demerits before choosing. Some people even go as far as asking for advice from elderly people and friends. Imagine leaving your job where you're paid 200,000 naira for a scholarship program in United States of America. Please is it a good decision? It's something that baffles me.

Please I'll like to here your contributions on this.

Vinkce

It would depend on you the individual with the scholarship. Like you said, one would have to weigh his options, if the future that that taking the scholarship holds is far brighter in your perception than what ever benefit you may be getting from your current job, then you have a much weightier reason to go for scholarship, at least for future purposes. The future of man is where his rest is and besides, those on scholarship abroad could still work to earn some money for themselves.

Kingsley

Valued Contributor
This will depend on the type of program you intend to go abroad to study, if it were to be a master's degree or PhD program then the chances of making will be be much more higher in the United States as compared to that patry sum of N200,000 there are people in the United doing some menial jobs in the United States and they make more than that a week. I have a sister there thay earn more than that in 3days. It is not worth it to sit back here at home most at the current times we find ourselves in this country. There was a time Donald trump said Nigeria is a shit hole and ever since our leaders whom I prefer to call rulers, are working so hard to make Nigeria the shit hole as used by Donald trump.

In Nigeria we know our security systems has failed as the level of insecurity is nothing to write home about. The security agencies themselves are afraid and they are been killed every now and then. Educational system is also decayed. And health sy5are nothing worth talk in about as doctors and nurses are running away in droves abroad. My brother it will pay you if you can take the scholarship.

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
My niece has a high paying job in a big company here. She is good at sales so she gets a commission aside from the salary. When she got married their family decision is for her to pursue her masters degree with the grant given by an Australian organization. Almost everyone in our clan was against that decision because we know that my niece enjoys her job as sales manager and has many benefits from their company. She migrated to Australia and fortunately her husband got a job there for their expenses. That was 3 years ago and this year I saw her post in social media that she had graduated with a master's degree. I guess she already has a job in Australia and I don't know of their future plans if they are going back to the Philippines. Well, education is a big investment that needs a big sacrifice.

sincerem

VIP Contributor
Most of the jobs I am doing at the moment are based online, I wouldn't have an issue if it happens to move offshores and seek pasture new in a different adventure. Provided it is something tremendous and worth it, I'll definitely move over, then continue doing my online gigs the other side of the world if need be. Of I see reasons to be active in some of my current earning sites, then I'll continue earning while I am away from my home country. Those who are doing offline job, wouldn't find it hard too if whet they're going for is more straightforward and better than what they're doing via their offline gig.

I am not the type that will allow a low paying job tying me down when a better offer presents itself to me for me to have better life, I wouldn't hesitate to chase after the better option. But since I am doing most of my jobs online, it means I wouldn't quit my earning sites permanently, because it is done remotely, I can still come back to them anytime I got chance to participate, I can simply participate in doing some of the tasks, and given back to the site what was given to me.

Abigael

Valued Contributor
This is happening alot in my country lately. People are getting scholarships abroad and so they leave their current jobs and move there. Like you said, it is a really tough decision that you may not be able to make alone. Especially if you have people who depend on you to live like children or your parents.

That is why it is easier for younger people who don't have their own children and are not yet responsible for their parents to do this. After all, many young people don't have really substantial jobs just yet. So being given a full scholarship and probably a part time job to be doing when not studying is a really good opportunity.

Those who have responsibilities are the ones who will have to think twice and really hard before taking the scholarship. Some may decide to keep working and just pay for their further education in the process.