Is there any stage an employee cannot reject an offer?

btaliat

VIP Contributor
Securing the best employment is always the first aim of the job hunters while job hunting. This always makes them to reject some offers in order to source for the better one.

I am not diffrent from this job hunters. My first employment was nothing to write home about. I have been given the employment letter and the date of resumption. But couldn't because the pay was small, but I didn't get inform them I won't be resuming.

Same on the journey of securing a better offer, I wrote to a school who was in dire of need the subject I specialized on. My performance and experience made me the best candidate for the job but the payment was not encouraging. I accepted but disappointed them as well even when they have banked on me. I didn't resume with them even when they have promised to increase my salary upon my resumption.

Fast forward to this week, I met the owner of the school and he categorically told me that I did bad. He told me I shouldnt have applied for a job I have no interest of doing. He said I have reached a stage where declining is outlawed and I have breached a contract of trust.

Is there any stage of seeking employment that it is difficult for employee to reject an offer?

Last edited:

Mataracy

VIP Contributor
Securing the best employment is always the first aim of the jun hunters while job hunting. This always makes them to reject some offers in order to saucers the better one.

I am not diffrent from this job hunters. My first employment was nothing to write home about. I have been given the employment letter and the date of resumption. But couldn't because the pay was small, but I didn't get inform them I won't be resuming.

Same on the journey of securing a better offer, I wrote to as school who was in dire of need the subject I specialized on. My performance and experience made me the best candidate for the job but the payment was not encouraging. I accepted but disappointed them as well even when they have banked on me. I didn't resume with them even when they have promised to increase my salary upon my resumption.

Fast forward to this week, I met the owner of the school and he categorically told me that I did bad. He told me I shouldnt have applied for a job I have no interest of doing. He said I have reached a stage where declining is outlawed and I have breached a contract of trust.

Is there any stage of seeking employment that it is difficult for employee to reject an offer?
As for me I can say yes because,if an employee that wanted to take up a job had been sign a contract with the employer or haven any agreement with that emplyer then it will be very difficult for such an employe yo live that company or organidatio without facing any case because that's a breach of contract and it is punishable under the law.

Some time before one will take up any job one needed to take good look of every factors that surrounded the job before taken it.

sincerem

VIP Contributor
When the salary matches your expectation, i think you don't have choice but to accept such offer and move on. But if the offer isn't worth your time and sacrifice based on your needs and expected salary earnings for the week or month, you can still dump it to look for another option to earn better and solve your primary needs first.

Last edited:

Richee84

When u turn down a job offer because due to one resign or the other then u should be able to inform the management of your decision so they can find a replacement to do the job on time. To me what you did was very bad, is like someone trusting you and you betray their trust. One u accept the offer it already make you their staff and you should notify them if you are resigning from the job.

btaliat

VIP Contributor
When u turn down a job offer because due to one resign or the other then u should be able to inform the management of your decision so they can find a replacement to do the job on time. To me what you did was very bad, is like someone trusting you and you betray their trust. One u accept the offer it already make you their staff and you should notify them if you are resigning from the job.
After listening to their side as well, I felt bad for what I did. But at times, human beings are born selfish. If it is you as well, you will turn down the offer for the better one. I couldn't even inform them because I was not so sure of the other offer. That why I played on them which I know is very bad. But come to think of it, what if they find a better candidate than me, won't they employ him even when they have promised me?

btaliat

VIP Contributor
When the salary matches your expectation, i think you don't have choice but to accept such offer and move on. But if the offer isn't work your time and sacrifice based on your needs and expected salary earnings for the week or month, you can still dump it to look for another option to earn better and solve your primary needs first.
In Nigeria, my country, hardly you will see a job thay will commensurate with your expectation. That's why people keep on looking for better option. While I was in service, I mean serving Nigeria after my university education, you won't believe that the money I was being paid then was higher than my first offer as an fresh graduate.

sincerem

VIP Contributor
In Nigeria, my country, hardly you will see a job thay will commensurate with your expectation. That's why people keep on looking for better option. While I was in service, I mean serving Nigeria after my university education, you won't believe that the money I was being paid then was higher than my first offer as an fresh graduate.
Hmm, it marvels me a lot that a graduate will spend years in the university, and serve the country for one, and get nothing beneficial after all this years when it comes to securing white collar job without a helper. Its bizarre that you where presented with offer which your youth service stipend monthly is better off.

Abigael

Valued Contributor
I think it is best when you inform your employer that you will not be resuming for work and state your reasons. When you keep turning down offers like that without a word, you will tarnish your reputation. Moreover, mentioning your reasons to the employer may open room for negotiation such that you both reach an agreement for better working conditions.

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
This is similar to my job in a British software house. After a stint of 4 months in London I was assigned to work in the local office in our country (which I preferred). At the end of my 2 years contract, I was not offered anything except the renewal. I did not renew and left the company for the US where I got an offer in a manufacturing company.

Good-Guy

VIP Contributor
I do not think that an employee can be forced to accept an offer until or unless an employee has signed a contract which binds him or her to the company. In such a case, an employee should always think before accepting such kind of offers. It is much better to decide what you want to do before taking the action.

Augusta

VIP Contributor
Securing the best employment is always the first aim of the jun hunters while job hunting. This always makes them to reject some offers in order to saucers the better one.

Same on the journey of securing a better offer, I wrote to as school who was in dire of need the subject I specialized on. My performance and experience made me the best candidate for the job but the payment was not encouraging. I accepted but disappointed them as well even when they have banked on me. I didn't resume with them even when they have promised to increase my salary upon my resumption.

Yeah, you don’t go further with a job offer when the pay is mentioned. I don’t think it is about going for the interview. It is more on accepting the offers then declining afterwards. It is good to let them know immediately the pay is mentioned that you are decline the offer because of low pay

Sherman198

VIP Contributor
I think when the salary is robust and the condition to work under is benefiting,there is no way to say no to that kind of offer. The major reason why most job hunters or seekers would say no to a job, is probably if the salary to be paid to the seeker is so small, that after separating transportation costs and food costs, you have almost nothing left for you. That's discouraging!

Jasmine

VIP Contributor
When I am trying to gain experience or learn something by working, I will accept low pay. Once I gain the experience and knowledge, I will just give up the job and look for better ones. Since I already have a lot of experience, I will never accept a low paying job any more.

Mika

VIP Contributor
If you do not have any income opportunities, and if you are desperate to get a job, I guess you do not have the leverage to reject the offer, no matter how bad the offer is you will have to grab it because you do not have a better solution. I think most of us have been in that situation.

kayode10

VIP Contributor
You have all it takes to reject the offer if it happens that his salary is not enticing enough for you. You have caused to with your action. First you did not the right candidate opportunity to secure the employment and you come across as in someone who can breach a contract. This can take a toll on you unless you do the necessary things to do.

btaliat

VIP Contributor
If you do not have any income opportunities, and if you are desperate to get a job, I guess you do not have the leverage to reject the offer, no matter how bad the offer is you will have to grab it because you do not have a better solution. I think most of us have been in that situation.
You are absolutely right. Most of us take an offer not because we are okay with the payment but we don't have any choice at the moment. That's why we need to learn how to be out job because salary is just the bribe that we receive to forget our dreams. We need to wise up.