Shares/Stock Is Stock Market Manipulation A Real Thing?

Good-Guy

VIP Contributor
According to me, the term "manipulation" refers to controlling things and taking advantages of the situation in an unfair way. Manipulation could be controlling things for your own selfish benefits, even though it causes harm or pain to other people. It also means to play with the feelings of people or using their vulnerable side for your own advantage. Manipulation is certainly bad. In the corporate world, It could also refer to creating circumstances in the market that could make things your way even though it might not be favorable for other people. This definition of mine perfectly fits what other people say.

According to a few sources, market manipulation could indirectly mean to control the stock market (or any other market) through politics, illegal business tactics, creating biased and unfavorable business policies that could only benefit the "big fish" in the business world. There are many examples of market manipulation. Some of the most popular kind of market manipulation tactics are Wash Trading and Bear Raid. Despite what people claim, I believe that many big business people and influential people often manipulate the market for their own gains and I am not at all surprised by all this. What do you think?

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
I am not very knowledgeable in stocks and stock market but I can say that manipulating the price is a common thing. However, manipulation has many degrees and it depends on the amount of buying or selling. In crypto coin there is the trader called whale who makes a transaction in millions of dollars. In stocks, people frown on such a huge transaction but there is a basis for that. For an actual example the market price of the pager company was dipping continuously due to the arrival of the cell phone. I saw it myself because I had some stocks of the pager company. The major shareholders of the stocks of the pager company were selling all their holdings that brought down the price further. In the end, from 20 pesos per share the market price dropped to 1 peso per share.