Is running a bookshop profitable?

Good luck

Verified member
When we talk about education generally,everyone needs both textbook and notebook.Technology is advancing by the day infact a lot of elite tends to go through online to get information.

People go as far as reading a whole textbook on their tablet,phone or desktop computer,though this is for those that are probably in the higher institution of learning or high school,which is secondary school.As a student you need to read book to be advance and gain knowledge academically.

Virtually every session pupils,student and tertiary institution students buy textbook to broaden their knowledge which means it is compulsory for a bookseller,stationers to operate at this time.

I want to know if venturing into such business lucrative or profitable to avoid loss of capital.

I will be glad if you look into this and give some comments or suggestions.

Thanks so much for your quick response.hope to hearing from you soonest.

btaliat

VIP Contributor
Deposite the fact that reading softcopy is now trending, people still buy hardcopy. However, the business is not as lucrative as before except for people that are dealing with stationery and bookshops for academic purposes. But selling novels or some stories books together with motivational books is not that in vogue due to numerous applications that offer this for free.

Sherman198

VIP Contributor
People don't really read hard copies this days, as the internet world has taken over everything. It's very easy to source for soft copies of any writer or poet on the web. So I don't really think this is going to be a lucrative business. But if you can be a supplier of children story books, to different schools, that may do it.

Good luck

Verified member
Deposite the fact that reading softcopy is now trending, people still buy hardcopy. However, the business is not as lucrative as before except for people that are dealing with stationery and bookshops for academic purposes. But selling novels or some stories books together with motivational books is not that in vogue due to numerous applications that offer this for free.
In a nutshell, you are not buying the idea of one venturing into the business there is various applications that people can read from and still acquire the necessary information and knowledge. I used to think that the business is still very much in vogue and a lot of people still patronize bookshop for their textbooks of various subjects.

btaliat

VIP Contributor
In a nutshell, you are not buying the idea of one venturing into the business there is various applications that people can read from and still acquire the necessary information and knowledge. I used to think that the business is still very much in vogue and a lot of people still patronize bookshop for their textbooks of various subjects.
That's not my conclusion. My conclusion is that if you are into educational textbooks and stationery, you can still be in vogue. There is no way students and the academicians won't need books. But I said if the bookshop is all about selling story books, there may be low sale because people are not really into buying story books anymore.

Good luck

Verified member
That's not my conclusion. My conclusion is that if you are into educational textbooks and stationery, you can still be in vogue. There is no way students and the academicians won't need books. But I said if the bookshop is all about selling story books, there may be low sale because people are not really into buying story books anymore.
I now understand your point.It means one can still make a very good living running a bookshop.. selling of textbooks,story books,stationeries,etc.but if the person just limit the sales to only story books then there will be issue of selling because a lot of people now have a wide knowledge of Internet which makes it easier for them to read online for free.

funmi

Verified member
Now a days bookshop has become something of the past for many people including me. Many of our public libraries in our local areas has gone empty and filled with only old books not even resent books are there. Many of our youths are no longer seeing library as a place to find books instead they prefer browsing online to get what they want which is even faster.

Good luck

Verified member
Now a days bookshop has become something of the past for many people including me. Many of our public libraries in our local areas has gone empty and filled with only old books not even resent books are there. Many of our youths are no longer seeing library as a place to find books instead they prefer browsing online to get what they want which is even faster.
People don't really go to library to read again due to internet that has taken over the system.Most bookshop don't really operate in story books again knowing fully that people will always use their phone or tablet to read at a free or little cost.We need to still patronize them because some of them depends on only that as a source of income to their family

Wisdom01

Valued Contributor
The business is very profitable , but make sure you buy the books that you are buying, are books that are trending and and in high demand by the students , because most times schools usually change the books they are using for that particular section , so you need to buy the trending books

Good luck

Verified member
The business is very profitable , but make sure you buy the books that you are buying, are books that are trending and and in high demand by the students , because most times schools usually change the books they are using for that particular section , so you need to buy the trending books
Buying books that are in vogue,books that pupils and student do buy for academic session. I believe such book will be profitable and people will patronize such market.because not everybody has tendency to read online.A lot of people are not used to doing anything online instead they will rather buy books from the book shop.

Wisdom01

Valued Contributor
Buying books that are in vogue,books that pupils and student do buy for academic session. I believe such book will be profitable and people will patronize such market.because not everybody has tendency to read online.A lot of people are not used to doing anything online instead they will rather buy books from the book shop.
Exactly not every one loves to read online , although there are pdf reader where they could collect the files and read offline,but because of the phone distraction and others , some would just prefer to buy a book instead and read than coming online to read

Moni

When we talk about education generally,everyone needs both textbook and notebook.Technology is advancing by the day infact a lot of elite tends to go through online to get information.

People go as far as reading a whole textbook on their tablet,phone or desktop computer,though this is for those that are probably in the higher institution of learning or high school,which is secondary school.As a student you need to read book to be advance and gain knowledge academically.

Virtually every session pupils,student and tertiary institution students buy textbook to broaden their knowledge which means it is compulsory for a bookseller,stationers to operate at this time.

I want to know if venturing into such business lucrative or profitable to avoid loss of capital.

I will be glad if you look into this and give some comments or suggestions.

Thanks so much for your quick response.hope to hearing from you soonest.
It might be profitable but at the same time one can loss too and why am I saying this? Where are you going to start that bookshop business is it in the city? Do the people there like reading? What kind of books are you going to sell? Remember there are some people that if you want to hide them something just put inside a book and they will never open it.

Augusta

VIP Contributor
I think this is one of the seasonal business though you can still make sales but on a low during the period that school isn't in session but the peak period is during beginning of a session or a school year. It is a profitable venture still if you can run it

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
There are some universities here that have shifted to the tablet for reading the soft copy of the textbook. I guess this would be the downfall of the bookstores especially in this pandemic era when the classroom is only in distant learning by using video chat. I don't think a book store is a good business for now.