Is it good to share my business idea with people?

Bookwormlux

Valued Contributor
Most of the time, a lot of us have got brilliant business ideas but we also lack the needed capital to actualize those business ideas. This then makes it hard for us to become what we intend to be(successful business owners).
With such a situation, some resort to taking a loan in order to start the business since they are certain of the fact that the business would enable them make so much money that would make repaying the loan very easy. They take this risk because they are sure of the potentials of the business they are going to start.

However, not all of us have the guts to take loan from banks or other institutions and we are left with no other option but to share this business idea of ours with some people with the hope that they can help support us with some funds to start the business.

I am thinking of a situation whereby someone you may have pitched your business idea to would not help you but go ahead to start the exact business you intended to start. This is due to the fact that you gave him a hint and he believes there are potentials in the business, so he will now go ahead to start the business.
What do you think?
Should I share my business idea with just anyone, or what category of people do you think I'm supposed to share with?

Donkiz

Sharing a business idea with someone is a way of getting the person on board and assist to bring the idea to reality, one of the major reason that makes us to share our business ideas with people is finance.

There have been situations where someone shares his/her business idea to a potential investor, who then goes ahead to sideline the owner of the idea and establish the business. This happens mainly when you share the idea with someone that is not trustworthy and there's no documentation evidence to show that the idea is yours.

It is very important that we are mindful of the people we share our ideas with, total strangers and people with no good record of honesty should not know about our ideas to avoid them converting it to theirs.

Augusta

VIP Contributor
I don't buy the idea of sharing any valuable secret of mine to any body let alone my business idea. I can never trust any body with my business so no it capital No No for me. It is better I get money or borrow to execute the plan than sharing the idea that might get stolen by the person I was trying to share the idea with. Even going to discuss it with a bank manager is a risk because he or she if not trust worthy can still steal the idea from. You

Josemendez

Verified member
If you can't be able to take the financial demands of the business you plan to do , and you are scared of procuring loan , then you have to seek for partnership ,in order to be able to meet up with the demands of the business , especially financial demands .

However , you need to have an agreement that will show how the business profits , duties and responsibilities will be shared ,which should be backed up legally ,in order to avoid situation that may arise in future.
I believe that if you choose the right partner who has the same vision as you , the business will surely be a success.

abolaji1979

Business idea is the only way to use to build up a business. To start a business you must plan for the business ahead of the beginning .

A business owner must have the notion that the business is a risk and just to know that business can crash or going up at the peak of the business.

So, a business must have a good plan and strategy to start a business. Look for the medium to improve your business and step up the business.

Janetoje

This question is a very delicate one, because we have a lot of snitches out there, they will pretend before you and when you share your business ideas with them, before you know it, they have ventured into the business you are about to start. However, if it is a business you have started already and you both are not exactly in the Same area you can go ahead and share your business idea to enable your neighbor succeed

btaliat

VIP Contributor
You can share it with people that you intend to do business together with. I mean if you are planning of entering into a partnership business, nothing bad in sharing your business ideas with such a person.

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
When I had the firm resolve to make a start up of a retailing business it was already known by my wife, of course. I gathered my close friends to declare my plan to them. Some said it was good and there were 2 who were doubtful. I thanked them for their input because that gave me the reason to think more about the business. In your case you seem to be wary that someone will steal your idea. If that is a one-shot deal then you should keep it secret. A one-shot deal means once the idea is put into action then it cannot be repeated.

Kennysplash

Verified member
Most of the time, a lot of us have got brilliant business ideas but we also lack the needed capital to actualize those business ideas. This then makes it hard for us to become what we intend to be(successful business owners).
With such a situation, some resort to taking a loan in order to start the business since they are certain of the fact that the business would enable them make so much money that would make repaying the loan very easy. They take this risk because they are sure of the potentials of the business they are going to start.

However, not all of us have the guts to take loan from banks or other institutions and we are left with no other option but to share this business idea of ours with some people with the hope that they can help support us with some funds to start the business.

I am thinking of a situation whereby someone you may have pitched your business idea to would not help you but go ahead to start the exact business you intended to start. This is due to the fact that you gave him a hint and he believes there are potentials in the business, so he will now go ahead to start the business.
What do you think?
Should I share my business idea with just anyone, or what category of people do you think I'm supposed to share with?
Well there is nothing really wrong in sharing business ideas, what is wrong is sharing it to a lot of people or to people you don't know well. Moreover if you don't have enough capital to start, you will need help and in that case you need to explain what you want to use the money for. Letting someone know your business idea can do you much good too, there are some aspects you might not see and the person will point it out, like how to do it better or what not to do. Just know before hand the sort of person you are sharing it with, you don't want to create a business idea meant for you and have someone else take it.

Destiny Nayaba

What do you think?
I think business ideas sound be shared with only your family members since they are most

What do you think?

What do you think?

What do you think?
I think business ideas should be shared with only family members. If you have a business partner, choose to share ideas that just secondary ideas and keep the vital ones for only family members. Family members can help you because of intimacy and a sense of responsibility. I don't think it's right to share with everyone. Because in business, informations mean a lot

Divinechidera

Personally, I don't think it's okay to share your business ideas with people (except maybe your parents). This is because there's really no body to trust. Even those you fully trust can really back-stab you and steal your business ideas.
Some might even go as far as discouraging you from venturing into the business. These have happened to so many people and I believe that in life, we should all learn from other people's mistakes.
This, from my little knowledge, is what I think is right.

Bookwormlux

Valued Contributor
Personally, I don't think it's okay to share your business ideas with people (except maybe your parents). This is because there's really no body to trust. Even those you fully trust can really back-stab you and steal your business ideas.
Some might even go as far as discouraging you from venturing into the business. These have happened to so many people and I believe that in life, we should all learn from other people's mistakes.
This, from my little knowledge, is what I think is right.
I agree with you, a lot of time you come up with an idea that you feel has got a lot of prospects that would help you in the long run, but some set of people would just convince you into believing that such an idea would end up helping you to just waste precious time without reaping anything.
These set of people may have seen that idea as a good one and so they want you to forget it while they use it to establish something. Some of them even relocate to where they are not known so that you do not get to see them and understand their mission.

It is best for every prospective business owner to try and take his personal stands in business and make decisions independently.