Is it easy to get a job if you are a graduate?

Mika

VIP Contributor
The rate of unemployment is very high in many countries. Unemployment is high even among the university graduates.

A lot of people go through the hardship of college and university life just because they can get a higher qualification and become eligible for the job market. Sadly, this does not happen. A lot of university graduates remain jobless.

Education is important to gain knowledge, however, why is not education helping these people to get a job?

Most of the graduates believe that once they have a degree they will easily get a job. This is simply not true. It is true that you need the education to apply for high paying job but just because you have certificates in a master’s program does not mean you are recruited by a company. Education is one of the requirements for a job, but you also need vocational skills.

Good-Guy

VIP Contributor
I am a graduate who completed my bachelors in the year 2019. Since 2019, I have been struggling to get a job and the amount I was being offered is just too low. Many people who are not that much educated earn more than what I was being offered. It seems that graduation no longer holds any value in the eyes of people and people do not even think before offering such low salaries to graduates.

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
In our business culture the college diploma is a must for hiring by big companies for an office job position. Now students need to undergo an on-the-job training of 200 hours before the diploma can be issued. That kind of training is usually done in offices that has a potential to hire the student when he graduates. Generally a college graduate has a big advantage when it comes to hiring.

sincerem

VIP Contributor
The rate of unemployment is very high in many countries. Unemployment is high even among the university graduates.

A lot of people go through the hardship of college and university life just because they can get a higher qualification and become eligible for the job market. Sadly, this does not happen. A lot of university graduates remain jobless.

Education is important to gain knowledge, however, why is not education helping these people to get a job?

Most of the graduates believe that once they have a degree they will easily get a job. This is simply not true. It is true that you need the education to apply for high paying job but just because you have certificates in a master’s program does not mean you are recruited by a company. Education is one of the requirements for a job, but you also need vocational skills.
You spoke admirably well dear. I know you're a graduate too, but reverted to other means to help give your life a meaning since unemployment rate became so high. Now that the pandemic is ravaging, it is now worrisome and frustrating cos white collar job will be a hard thing to get at the current stand.

Jasmine

VIP Contributor
Education alone does not ensures you a better job or even an employment opportunity. However, it is also true that once you are graduate, you will be eligible to join a lot of job opportunities. If a company is hiring freshers with no experience, you can join if you have education qualification.

Abigael

Valued Contributor
Having a graduate degree is not enough to make it easy for one to get a job. Most of the university graduates are equipped with knowledge and theories but don't have practical skills. So one should graduate then go and look for additional vocational skills that will make them more skilled for practical jobs.

Jasmine

VIP Contributor
Having a graduate degree is not enough to make it easy for one to get a job. Most of the university graduates are equipped with knowledge and theories but don't have practical skills. So one should graduate then go and look for additional vocational skills that will make them more skilled for practical jobs.
Some disciplines have practical training. For example, if you enroll for medical schools or engineering schools, apart form theoretical knowledge, you will also be equipped with practical skills. When you study accounting in college, you will also learn practical knowledge on accounting. A lot of education disciplines are skilled based.Education does not only men theoretical knowledge.

Noor ahmed

In our business culture the college diploma is a must for hiring by big companies for an office job position. Now students need to undergo an on-the-job training of 200 hours before the diploma can be issued. That kind of training is usually done in offices that has a potential to hire the student when he graduates. Generally a college graduate has a big advantage when it comes to hiring.
Unemployment is being rising day by day due to lack of education and experience ,
Experience is much more important , any one Must have expertise in their work, because many organisations hire experienced people , if we want to be at good status we need to be educated and experienced

Jasmine

VIP Contributor
You make n interesting point. One of the primary causes of unemployment is lack of education and experience. If you are not academically qualified, you are not eligible for higher paying jobs, you will have to do blue collar jobs. Education is must to earn better. You you have professional level skills, that would be even better.

Mika

VIP Contributor
Lack of education is obviously one of the main causes of unemployment, however, lack of good grades is the primary cause of unemployment. If you are a graduate but have poor grades, you find difficulty in getting a job. Not having relevant training is also another major cause. For instance, you might graduate with Account as a major subject but if you cannot use Tally software, you might not be hired as an Accountant. You might graduate with marketing as a major subject but you need training in various digital marketing methods to work as a marketer for a company.

Jasmine

VIP Contributor
I would say lack of education combined with lack of skills are two primary causes of unemployment. However, the number of educated unemployed people is also growing day by day, in many countries, even educated people are jobless. If you do not have good grades, despite being graduate, or even completing master's program, you may not find a job for yourself.

moonchild

VIP Contributor
Is not easy to be honest, damn, especially in my country, many families put their hope in their children in school only for them to graduate and they'll be unemployed or underemployed, the hustle is real, we don't encourage skills acquisition as much as we advocate for school.

Well, I think slowly we are out phasing the school era because people are now all in for learning digital school, I think if one can read and write then school can be secondary for him except maybe he wants to learn a professional course but for most us we should embrace digital skills.

Icon

Well I think it is depending on the location you are you can make tangible amount of money as a graduate in Europe America Asia and some part of Africa, a place like Nigeria people where there is little or no jobs available for graduate that is why most youths here wants to travel abroad for standard education

Jasmine

VIP Contributor
getting a job is not only related to your qualification but also availability of the jobs. For instance, if you graduated as a nuclear engineer but there are no such programs in your country, where can you get a job? Therefore, you will have to choose a subject that ensures that you get a job (in other words, the job is available in your location). You also need good grades. If you passed with C grade, it is very less likely that you will get a job. However, if you have A, you have higher chances of getting a good paying job

D

Deleted member 13140

i know that's the simple truth but that doesn't mean people will believe it, everyone wants to get a degree, it sort of like without one you aren't a human being, in as much as am not against it, i still think it's a waste of time, for me am going into the university because the course am going to study is aligned with what i want to be, and the type of job i want to secure, I prefer being self employed, when I was a kid I would think that being self employed was the worse thing that could happen to a person

Kingstone

It is a straight no. It is not easy to get a job even with your certificate. I am a graduate of about two years now and no job is forthcoming. In this country, the government has no place for youth. No companies, no budgets for education, and education are now in decline with the insecurity raging left and right. The grads have resulted in doing illegal jobs to get their daily needs. I would not blame them but it is not the right call.

funmi

Verified member
I can not speak or say for other countries but in my country here, being a graduate does not automatically get you a good job you will still need to search and search and when you eventually get one, they will pay you any amount of money they like not the amount you ought to be paid as a graduate.
The only way to escape this is if you get lucky and get employed by the government, then you are save. Most private sectors pay their workers peanuts money and they over use people without much compensation. My advice is that if you are a graduate, get your self a business to do first. If you don't want to be frustrated by the unavailability of jobs now in our country.

Caramelle

A college degree is just the entry-level qualification for most office jobs. For every job vacancy, there will likely be hundreds of applicants who are college graduates. Assuming all applicants lack experience and are all college graduates, the academic records, training, and the result of the interview will be some of the basis for determining who among them is the best fit for the job. No job is automatically given to anyone, not even to those with previous work experiences, or those who have passed licensure examinations. Masters' degrees are more helpful for managerial or supervisory position applicants and to those with careers in education but probably not as much for fresh graduates with no prior work experience. It has always been competitive at all levels.​