Is it advisable for retiree not to pick up a job after retirement?

Josemendez

Verified member
Most times we notice that people upon retirement from their duties normally fall sick often as they did when they were still in active service. One may think that it can be as a result of old age but this may not be the only contributing factor .

When people retire and they are idle , they make themselves susceptible to diseases because their body system is no longer made active. This is why most retired persons are encouraged to take up a hobby after retirement to keep their body system active. They should engage in less demanding job.

Some people make this mistake of keeping their retired parent at their home ,with the aim of taking care of them and preventing them from taking up any job. This makes them to stay in one place without any means of exercise their body system. Their body system end up weak and susceptible to diseases .

Do you have any reason to justify retiree being at home and not working ?

Chibson

VIP Contributor
It is very important that anyone who is working should probably start that time to plan for his or her future because as you have said I have seen a lot of people who after retirement from service or work, they fall sick. This is definitely very bad and anyone must avoid such situation. It is advisable to venture into business no matter how small after retirement.

Mika

VIP Contributor
In my home country, the average retirement age is 60 years. Unless you have progressive degenerative disorders like diabetes and heart diseases, you can easily work even when you are in your sixties. If you are healthy for your age, if you are mentally, physically, and emotionally fit, I think you should continue working even after you retire.

funmi

Verified member
Well, to me, I don't think it is advisable for retiree to pick up another job. Also, I am not saying they should sit at home 24/7 doing nothing. But I will only advise retiree to set up a small.scale business for them selves that will keep them going and keep the body and mind busy till death comes knocking. If they don't do any thing, they may end up dead before their time. They should not stress themselves too much.

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
The most common issue of a retiree is the lack of occupation. I am willing to stay at home as long as I have something to do. Right now I am retired and manning the home. I do the chores that our housemaid couldn't do. I also do the errands and I have some projects from time to time. If I would just stay at home with nothing to do then it is like being useless.

Good luck

Verified member
Most retirees you see do engaged themselves in one job or the other after serving the government or company for a period stipulated by the company or government.Most of them practice farming as an alternative to still keep body and soul moving.Doing nothing will make them to grow old and weak quickly.

Mataracy

VIP Contributor
To me it's a personal decision either to stay at home doing nothing after retirement or engage in doing one thing or the other. There are some people after their retirement they have one thing or the other to do because they has plan for that from the onset. Even if a retiree did not do any work after being retired they should be doing good exercise constantly so that they will not be falling sick.

D

Deleted member 28127

The health of this retired person can be determenative so may the doctor obliges the retired person to stay at home because his health doesn't allow him to work or may he allows him but specific kind of jobs where there is not a lot brand of activity or may allow him to work anything so the health is an important factor in this to allow him or not.

btaliat

VIP Contributor
On a natural circumstance, retirement should mean time to rest. That's why it is important for retiree not to sit down because it will be affecting his health. He can decide to start visiting friends and even go on vacations. But if the money is not enough for these, he can engage himself in some investment or some petty businesses that won't require much energy.

Augusta

VIP Contributor
This has always been a debate for me and I tell myself all the time that at retirement I don't want to just stay at home it could be very boring and lonely. So I will prefer to do a little business no matter how small I will manage it like that