Is CD Selling Business Less Lucrative Now As Compared To The Past?

Good-Guy

VIP Contributor
Selling CDs was considered one of the most lucrative business in the past when there was no Internet or when the Internet was not much available in many household in my country. I remember there was a time when people used to purchase cards for dial-up Internet connections and as far as I know, there were not many websites where you could download free files from the Internet. I think this is also one of the main reasons why many paid to upload websites have been earning money. Many people upload many windows files, program files, games, and other important softwares required for a computer. Now people no longer buy CDs from market rather they first search for these files on the Internet and download the files to their computers using the Torrent softwares. I have myself been using Torrent softwares to download many softwares, games, and movies that required me to buy CDs in order to install them. I think this is one of the main reasons why I think CD selling business has been suffering a bit. However, still there is a market near my house where you can find CDs of many games, softwares, computer programs, etc. So, do you think that CD selling business has become less lucrative due to this reason?

D

Deleted member 28127

It is more lucrative in the past but the new generation of laptops doesn't involve a lecture on CD or DVD as people have switched to flash technology.

Kingsley

Valued Contributor
Hmmm, this is interesting I could remember those days how I used to go to the buy an mp3 CD selection for a whooping sum then and sometimes I deliberately go to the market just in search for a particular film or musical video. It was a really an ultimate quest then. But thanks to technology all that suddenly became history with the help of the internet, now looking at how lucrative that business can be is really interesting, I believe it will still be lucrative as people living in remote environment still depend strongly on CD. So it is still a lucrative business.

sincerem

VIP Contributor
Nowadays is going down, die to digitalization. Things are simply heading digital, you don't even need the CDs to be frank. Because you can simply download movie, music, games, etc, anywhere you are. Instead of buying the physical version of it which is through the CDs. We know the disadvantage around buying CDs, it can crack and stop working after some time due to removing and inserting into the disc player. But the digital version doesn't succumb to such, provided that your device is free from viruses, glitches/bugs, it will run smoothly without stopping after some time of using it.

Mika

VIP Contributor
CD is already dead. You have a flash drive that you can use to carry move files from one place to another, transfer them to another device, upload them to your computer or the internet, etc. CD has limited storage, the average capacity is 700 MB, but a flash drive can be 1TB or even higher.

Good-Guy

VIP Contributor
Hmmm, this is interesting I could remember those days how I used to go to the buy an mp3 CD selection for a whooping sum then and sometimes I deliberately go to the market just in search for a particular film or musical video. It was a really an ultimate quest then. But thanks to technology all that suddenly became history with the help of the internet, now looking at how lucrative that business can be is really interesting, I believe it will still be lucrative as people living in remote environment still depend strongly on CD. So it is still a lucrative business.

I live in an area where there are still many CD shops but I have noticed that their business is dying due to pandemic and digital promotion of online products. It is really easy to download any thing including games, movies, software, etc. There are a few shop keepers in my area who use the Internet to upgrade the software systems of the android phones and as far as I know, they do not even require to purchase any kind of CD from the market because every thing is available on the Internet nowadays. I am anticipating that CD drive will be replaced by some other kind of technology in the future.

Caramelle

CD has been replaced by DVD which has bigger storage and lately by flash drivers which are more portable and with bigger storage capacity. Most new releases of laptops have no optical drives so personally, I haven't used a CD for quite sometime. Like some of you mentioned, I still see stores selling software products and installers on CDs/DVDs. You can still find installers of popular games as well as business applications. However, their sales have certainly suffered due to the rapid advancement in technology and the restrictions being implemented on the so-called non-essential businesses. Some repair shops sell installer DVDs as a side business but more people are finding less use for this type of storage due to other options such as cloud storage and free download sites. I've never liked CDs as a storage medium because it is sensitive and could get scratched and unusable easily.​

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
CD is already dead. You have a flash drive that you can use to carry move files from one place to another, transfer them to another device, upload them to your computer or the internet, etc. CD has limited storage, the average capacity is 700 MB, but a flash drive can be 1TB or even higher.
I fully agree that CD is already dead. Even with movies the CD is not mentioned anymore because streaming is the medium that they use. To be frank about the CD (or dvd) they are like the audio cassette tape of the olden times that had the Betamax and VHS for the videos. Well, it was good while they lasted but now it is foolhardy to get into the business of selling CD. Maybe the best we can do with the selling of videos is how to get a streaming permit. I think that is the only means of sharing videos for now.

Good luck

Verified member
To be frank and candid,CD selling business has really gone down since the innovation of MP3 and some other devices.A lot of people make use of their memory cards to download music or videos online to watch or listen to.This has really affect the business unlike in the past when people must buy CD plate to play their DVD player.Apart from the MP3 player that people are listening to now, A lot of people prefer to watch movies from their decoders and they can also listen to music their too.All these means has really make the CD business handicap and not really functioning except in some rural area where technology has not really affect positively.