Investing on ostrich for meat products

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
The hype of the ostrich meat was started by a newspaper columnist in the early part of the new millennium. There were many takers and ostrich farms sprouted in the rural areas. In my research on the raising of ostrich I was dismayed with the prices. An ostrich egg costs $20 and you still have to hatch it. A grown ostrich is $200 per head. It was expected that I wouldn’t invest in such a very expensive livestock.

IMG_0812 nami ostrich.JPG
In the years that followed I had read in the papers that ostrich meat is sold in the public market of a rural town. When I made my investigation, the ostrich meat was cooked into a dish so you buy to eat. There were not much customers so the price per kilo of cooked meat is very low. It is easy to compute that those ostrich raisers sell one ostrich for $200 but when they sell to the market they can only get $40. They had neglected to market the ostrich meat properly.

I have never eaten ostrich meat. It is very costly here. One kilo of ostrich mean cost $25, for this price, I can buy 2.5 kilos of goat meat in my town and 6 kilos of chicken. What should I spend a lot of money on ostrich meat. The meat might have some benefits (I don't know though) or taste better but why should you spend a lot of money on meat.

I have never seen an ostrich been reared for to the purpose of consumption but I can only imagine how much the meat is going to be. Though it is likely that it is going to be a good investment I will rather too wants to invest in it for the purpose of recreation instead.