If Your Business Needs Adverts To Sell, Don't Start It

moonchild

VIP Contributor
I was watching CNBC the other day and it was Elon Musk on the screen with Jordan Peterson discussing about Tesla and the future of Tesla, upcoming models and how he will this year be like for the company.

They started talking about budgets and along the line Jordan asked him about how much he budgeted for advertisement for the Tesla cars and surprisingly he said nothing, he said he will spend $0 on ads for Tesla, that's not all. He said if your business needs Adverts to sell them you shouldn't start it.

And that simply means if you're not solving a worthy problem enough, when Tesla came out there was a need for it because are tired of buying gasoline due to high price and carbon dioxide emissions which contributes to ozone layer depletion and there was a lot of concern about climate change then.

That's how I want you to fine tune your business instincts, solve problems that doest require Adverts to sell, if I create a weight loss course and I approach fat and obese individuals I don't need any sort of Adverts to sell to them because they obviously need it, Adverts are mostly just trying to shove products down your throat even though you might not even need them.

sincerem

VIP Contributor
What you've said is the perfect thing, Elon musk is a business guru, he is very creative that's why he's the world richest man at the moment. With every bit of what he said, I am certain of it, if one applies such kind of idea to develop his or her business. In fact, we don't need to advertise to anyone provided the business is a problem solver, just as you've said by quoting Elon musk message which he shared on TV. An innovative business with lots of solutions to people don't need paid adverts, because directly, it will help alot of people who needs it the most. Tesla motors are perfect example, the cars are just around and they solve a wonderful problem by easing the usage of crude oil, which produces carbon dioxide, contributes to the ozone layer depletion, due to its mining processes. Such alone, have given people the needed explanation to buy the cars, due to the quality and problem it solves.

Shaf

Verified member
This advice would work very well if you have a physical product or it's something that is placed strategically where people can see it, but would it also work for digital goods and services that are not tangible?

Some people might also argue that it's easy to say so, but not everyone has the skill to think of a very good solution that people will gravitate towards without using ads.

I think it's ok to start a business and still advertise it. However, that should not be the sole source of customers as it can become draining over time to consistently fork out cash to bring customers.

Other promotion methods can be used such as word of mouth and posters.