How your social media can stop you from being employed.

Etini

Valued Contributor
Social media has made it possible for us to broadcast anything we feel like. It is the information age and we are still basking in the euphoria. Social Media has changed the way we do things. I just discovered that some employers now access social media pages of job apllicants in order to ascertain of they are employable. I once applied for a job and I was asked to send my Facebook username. Unknown to me, they had gone to go through my page. I was told that two things made them give me the job based on checks on my social media.
The first thing is that I used my real name. The second thingis that I had no indecent exposure. I would advice job seekers not to change their official names on Facebook or other social media platforms. And also be careful of the things you post. It can be used against you.

It actually makes sense though, anyone could pretend to be decent and all that just so they could get the job they are after, the best way to find out more about a person is through their social media accounts. People tend to be more open minded and free when on most of their post on social media. But what about in situations where your social media account is actually your business account hence the name used for the account is your business name, would that still be an issue as not using your real name for your social media?

It is said that the internet never forgets and it never forgives. Unfortunately, we forget that and say what we want, exposing our weaknesses, secrets and insecurities to all.

What you choose to share on social media also says a lot about your real attitude and personality. If you are violent, or lazy or racist, it will show in one way or another.
We should also be cautious of the company we keep online. If someone tags you in something bad, it will reflect on you.

Another disadvantage of social media is that it is extremely distracting. I used to spend about 5 hours a day on Facebook alone, while I was not earning a penny both online or offline, while pretending to be learning about how to make money online.

I have since deleted the apps from my phone, and the few I have left are temporarily disabled that I forget them. People at work can spend time online instead of being productive.