How to treat a venomous snakebite

Lens1000

VIP Contributor
Millions of people die of snake bites around the globe with larger percentage from africa.
Africa as many venomous snakes ranging from africa mamba, west africa carpet viper etc.

In some parts of africa, any bitten by the snake are often treated using traditional antivenom and at times the traditional doctor would magically remove the victim from the victim's body system through incantations

According to world health organisation (WHO) , the antivenom produces is less than half.of what is needed in the world today.

Initially, antivenoms were produced by milking the snake and injecting the poisonous venom into the body of horse or cows. Then, the animal's antibody begin to develop a resistance against the toxic venom. The blood will be drawn form the animal and will pass through clinical procedures. At the end , the antibody is isolated and purified to a solution that could be used as an antivenom

Have you seen someone bitten by a snake ?

btaliat

VIP Contributor
It is first of all necessary to know that there is difference between poisonous snakes and venominous snakes. When a snake bites, whether poisonous or venominous, we need to do first aid treatment first by tying clothes round the spot and make sure the person is taken to the hospital for antidote rather than applying traditional means.

Sotherefore

VIP Contributor
It is first of all necessary to know that there is difference between poisonous snakes and venominous snakes. When a snake bites, whether poisonous or venominous, we need to do first aid treatment first by tying clothes round the spot and make sure the person is taken to the hospital for antidote rather than applying traditional means.
Yes there is a great difference is, I don't think there is a poisonous snake but most of the snake I have come across that have the potential of killing people are venomous.. when faced with a snake bite it is better for us to seek a medical health care as soon as possible. To help the people that has been bitten.

Lens1000

VIP Contributor
I don't really get your point there. Do you mean venomous snakes are not poisonous? I need you to answer this. The last time I checked, ta venomous snake is the same as the poisonous snakes. Would you reiterate on this by giving examples of poisonous snakes and venomous snakes?

Lens1000

VIP Contributor
Yes there is a great difference is, I don't think there is a poisonous snake but most of the snake I have come across that have the potential of killing people are venomous.. when faced with a snake bite it is better for us to seek a medical health care as soon as possible. To help the people that has been bitten.
This is really getting interesting! You supported his submission ! Would you tell us the difference between the poisonous and venominous snakes? I need to know this for education purposes. I don't see differences between them. How do you think we could know the poisonous and venominous snakes?