How To StartUp Cat Fish Farming Business

Tonedo

Cat fish farming is very lucrative business for anyone who want to make money from fish farming. For anyone who is truly serious about setting up a catfish farm, then you certainly need to put money into writing a business plan. This is important because it can help you prepare yourself and carry out your growing strategies properly. Next, you will need a business plan for your fish farm if you plan to get capital, or secure a loan through the bank for your fish farm.

1. You will need a Land To make use of

Before you go into catfish farming business, you have to get or rent at least a full or half parcel of land in a very good location. The land also needs to be accessible by road. This is very important because you will not need your prospective customers to experience difficulty while trying to find your farm to purchase your produce.

When the land is available, you can begin allocating for each and every task. There also needs to be a good space for the farmhouse fish ponds, and a good location for drainage facility.

2. Reliable Water Supply Supply

To operate your fish farm effectively, over head tanks should be set up, and borehole should also be considered; because it’s the most effective way to obtain water for catfish farming. You have to ensure that there is a constant flow of water on a regular basis as the fishes need it.

3. Fish-pond Construction

Don't attempt to fix the fish pond yourself. You will need the services of an expert. Without having a well constructed pond, your business will not have the ability to stand the test of time; and you could find yourself spending a lot more in the LONG RUN! You may decide to go for a plastic-type pond tank in order to save cost, you can also choose building the concrete floor fish ponds.

TOZZIBLINKZ

VIP Contributor
I don't really know or have idea about catfish farming business, but I think before starting up the catfish farming business you will need to plan ahead, I have at the back of your mind that you can lose at any time in this way you have to get prepared for the loss, starting up a catfish farming business you will need a bigger space so that you'll be able to place the business well, I also think buying catfish feed in bulk will also prepare you for the business.

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
I think you have forgotten about the food of the cat fish. Anyway, what’s more important in the start up of a cat fish growing business is the market. Over here the cat fish is not attractive to buyers because people here prefer the milkfish and other fish from the sea. The only popular river fish here is tilapia which is a good money maker if you have a space for a fish pond.

Samuel72

Verified member
This a nice and informative post, and l the steps you have listed out is really a good way to start up a fish pond , but market survey should be done is there a high demand for cat fish in that area, if not the fish pond will just be there with little or no patronage which is bad for business it can lead to loss.

Chibson

VIP Contributor
A very nice information right here. Catfish farming is a very lucrative business no doubt and of course a lot of people who love to eat catfish including myself. Before venturing into the business you need money because money is needed to set up so many things. catfish is a kind of expensive in this part of the world so you need enough money to set the business up and with time you will definitely make a lot of profit.

Mellorando

Banned
Your capital to start up this kind of business should be above 200,000 naira my uncle is a catfish farmer and and I must say your business is really good but kind of gross if you're a person that hate dirty animals then this line of business isn't for you to start a catfish business you must first build a fish pond a fish pond 5metres in width and 3to4 metres deep can contain approximately 2millions pices of fingalings