Earn Money How to make money using wikipedia

M

mack1223

Wikipedia
is the world’s leading online encyclopedia that is totally free. It hosts an extremely large database information, with topics ranging from politics, environment, sciences, engineering, medicine to fun and games, miscellaneous activities, hiking etc. In short, it contains nearly everything you can imagine. And it provides really quality information too.

The great thing about Wikipedia is, it’s absolutely free! And it lets ordinary people like you and me to add or edit information. That does not mean you can write whatever you want. Your contributions have to be moderated before they can be added.

According to Alexa, Wikipedia ranks #6 globally, behind only websites like Google, Facebook, YouTube etc. That makes it the largest non-profitable website around. Notice the .org in its URL instead of a .com. Hence it’s not a commercial website. This non-profitability means that you can not earn money directly through Wikipedia. This is because they don’t make profit themselves, forget paying hundreds of thousands of contributors as well!

You can, however, capitalize on the large amount of traffic that Wikipedia gets. There are two major ways you can do this;

Link to Wikipedia​

This is a long-term strategy. Linking to Wikipedia can be a real help in gaining search engine rankings. Google likes it when you link to authority websites. And since Wikipedia is the #6th website in the world, Google especially loves it if you do.

However, don’t just link to Wikipedia just for the sake of linking. You might end up being considered as a spammer by search bots. Link, but link relevantly. For example, if you have an article / blog post about, let’s say, sports cars, then it might be a good idea to list some sports cars and then prompt the reader to check out the car’s Wikipedia link for more information. Don’t just impose links on your readers.

Like I said, this is a long-term strategy. It won’t bring immediate traffic. But it will improve your Google Page Rank, and any other ranking systems like Alexa rankings etc. Once your page-rank climbs, you might find your blog on Google’s top 10 list in your respective niche, which is to say your blog might end up on the first page of search results returned to a surfer.

TOZZIBLINKZ

VIP Contributor
I really appreciate the above-mentioned method of making money using Wikipedia, because I don't have any idea of any tips on how to make money using Wikipedia, I'm in need of money so I will try the above-mentioned methods or ways of making money from Wikipedia so that I see if I'll be able to get some money from it.

Briangsam

You are right. Paid editors are not employees of Wikipedia or the Wikimedia Foundation. They are freelance writers who make a living from creating written content to post on the internet. This means that you can contact them on Elance or Freelancer and pay a specific fee for them to post the Wikipedia article that you have written.

Sotherefore

VIP Contributor
I didn't have any idea that we can make money from wikipedia, I always believe that Wikipedia is a site you can do a lot of deep research about whatever topic you might be interested in doing and I also believe that it is the top professors from universities all over the world that can edit Wikipedia.thaks for the enlightenment .

Sotherefore

VIP Contributor
I didn't have any idea that we can make money from wikipedia, I always believe that Wikipedia is a site you can do a lot of deep research about whatever topic you might be interested in doing and I also believe that it is the top professors from universities all over the world that can edit Wikipedia.thaks for the enlightenment .