How to handle rude customers.

Josemendez

Verified member
The fact is that it is never easy to handle rude customers because they can be very provoking,and at times we may lose control and overreact .
The first step is to endeavor to stay away from their trouble ,through calm response to their rude words .
If possible , it is ideal to avoid transacting with them because their actions can send people away. They may also paid the business black , this is why it is necessary to try first to statisfy them but when it fails to work ,chasing them away won't be a bad idea.

Maven Tiger

If you are a business person you will certainly come across rude clients. In these situations it can be hard knowing how to react. The following points can help.

1. Stay calm and don't react
The first thing to do is to remain calm and not respond in kind. If you're faced with an unexpected verbal attack, a natural defense mechanism is to "bite back." Staying calm will also help you to stay alert to your customer's behavior – which may deteriorate, whatever your response is. If that happens, it may be time to step away from the situation and contact a colleague for help.

2. Don't take it personally
Chances are, your customer is angry about a bad product or service, and you're just the unfortunate target for their frustration. So instead of taking their rudeness to heart, try to empathize with them.

3. Listen and if appropriate, apologize
Rude customers often need to vent their frustration. Always listen actively, no matter how unreasonable they sound. Saying sorry can solve the problem. Apologize to them

4. Solve the problem
The best way to disarm a rude customer is to involve them in solving the problem that's fueling their behavior. Ask them what they feel would be an acceptable solution. That way, you have something concrete to work toward.
Look for quick, simple solutions. Many problems that lead to customer rudeness will have occurred before, so you can handle it effectively.
Very insightful writeup @Kennysplash. In business we meet a lot of customers with different behaviors. Handling whatever situation it is require some level of professionalism as stated above.
If there's no improvement in handling or solving the aggrieved customer complain, just inform the team lead. The team lead with more experience will calm the situation if not resolved.
In most cases, the Customer Relation Representatives are now trained to handle such situation.

Peppul

If you are suddenly on the receiving end of stream of abuse from your customers here are things you should do.
1. Stay calm, don't react. The first thing to do is to remain calm and not respond. Avoid fighting fire with fire and be tactful, or you risk inflating the situation further.
2. Don't take it personally. Chances are your customer is angry about a bad product or service, and you are just the unfortunate target of their frustration. So instead of taking someone's rudeness to heart, try to empathize with your customer up to a point.
3. Listen and if appropriate, Apologize. Rude customers often need to vent their frustration. Always listen actively, no matter how unreasonable they sound. If you have been subjected to barrage of abuse, saying sorry might run against every instinct you have. But if your customers grievance is genuine, a prompt apology my staunch the flow of rudeness.
4. Stand firm.
5. Solve the problem.

Maks25

Wow
Some customers are very terrible human beings and many times I have found myself raising my voice at some of them because Lord knows they are full of shiit. I am trying really hard to control my temper and have resorted to simply dropping the phone on the table when they start ranting. When I notice a pause in the diatribe, I pick up the phone and continue pleasantly "I sincerely apologise for the inconvenience. If I don't do this, I will get so irritated that I will start exchanging words with them, which is very unprofessional.

Dartho

If you are a business person you will certainly come across rude clients. In these situations it can be hard knowing how to react. The following points can help.

The first thing to do is to remain calm and not respond in kind. If you're faced with an unexpected verbal attack, a natural defense mechanism is to "bite back." Staying calm will also help you to stay alert to your customer's behavior – which may deteriorate, whatever your response is. If that happens, it may be time to step away from the situation and contact a colleague for help.

Chances are, your customer is angry about a bad product or service, and you're just the unfortunate target for their frustration. So instead of taking their rudeness to heart, try to empathize with them.

Rude customers often need to vent their frustration. Always listen actively, no matter how unreasonable they sound. Saying sorry can solve the problem. Apologize to them

4. Solve the problem
The best way to disarm a rude customer is to involve them in solving the problem that's fueling their behavior. Ask them what they feel would be an acceptable solution. That way, you have something concrete to work toward.
Look for quick, simple solutions. Many problems that lead to customer rudeness will have occurred before, so you can handle it effectively.
Good point raised, your customer is always right. Treat one unfairly and you will loose 10 customers. Treat one right and you will gain more additional 5 customers.

M

maryana36

People's mentality cannot be changed. There will always be such situations

Joseph555

There will always be these set of rude customers, you can't avoid them else you lose them, I was. Once a sale boy and I know how disgusting rude customers are but the fact still remains that the customer is alway right, it is advisable to treat them with caution and extreme patience, in most cases you should avoid arguing with them because you will never win, be diplomatic, conscious and fix your eye on making profit out of them and not loses.

marcusfe

Rude customers are like land mine that one has to be very careful of not to step on. Such kind of customers should be handled with wisdom so as not defame the reputation of your business. A customer that speaks or behaves in a rude way definitely is up to something either trying to pick the organization fault or trying to dent the dent image of the company. Such a customer should be called by the company's personnel manager and have a peaceful chat together.

D

Deleted member 27583

4. Solve the problem
Somethings i noticed about most business owner is that they lack the courage of calmness, and most of them forgot that customers is the key to successful businesses...
So if you are a real business man or woman you must learn how to talk to customer politely I'm a calm way in any situation.. Although customers can make you frustrated at times ,but you that you really know the key to your business success will always stay calm and lower yourself all because you are after what you will profit from them.

Doradorwa

Opportunity seeker
I've read people response to this thread and I'm sorry my opinion is different... As a business owner taking rudeness from customer must be limited... If a particular customer is fond of harassing you or any member of your staff you have the right to tell such customers to leave politely... It's your business and if you continually say that customers is always right you might later get depressed for not reacting to the verbal abuse and this might hurt your self esteem.

Kennysplash

Verified member

4. Solve the problem

Hina

I might be in the minority here, but I kill them with kindness. No matter how bad they get, I will match their intensity with my own polar opposite. This will generally produce two results, and I’m okay with either to be honest. The first will be that the person will become even more upset. I suppose the psychology behind that is that it’s their intention to pull you down to the same level they’re at…and it will just eat them up if they’re unable to do so. The second scenario, which I’ve found to be the most common, is that you will win them over and the person will eventually be apologizing for their behavior.

Aqsa Shahid

You have described very good points to handle rude customers as every person will have such clients who are very rude in their behaviour and sometimes they cross their limits if they didn't have the deal as they want. Try to be calm and answer such rude clients in an appropriate manner. So they could realize their mistake and if you are wrong then just apologize to your client as this good behaviour of yours will gain respect for you in other people's eye.

Lekhraj19

Verified member
This issue remains whether you are in a sales business or you are into a job, where a lot of clients call you or ask you for a product. In this situation, it's never better to comment as like 'tit for tat', because if someone has approached you and if he is angry and furious you would make him quiet with your kind words, and that is how the market goes. If you convince him or her in such a way, they will get thoughtful that I was angry and they are very patient, and they will also ask you to pardon sometimes.

However, in a job you can't shout because then the company may sideline you from that work.

btaliat

VIP Contributor
Customers are always right. A business man should always remember that saying. No matter how rude a customer is, a business man should not be rude equally to him. A customer needs persuasion. As we all know that men are the only animals that are difficult to control. So, you can win a rude customer by placating even go more than begging to him. All these actions might mollify him and make him patronize you and even reommmend you to some of his friends and families to buy from you just because of your meek behavior.

Mataracy

VIP Contributor
There is no how you will encounter such a customer while doing business .
So therefore as a business man/woman you need to prepare for and ready to win the heart of such a customer.
Since you can't use fire to quench fire what you need to do is to be tolerate and be ready to listing after that you will know how to solve the problem facing you.

Seyesystem

As a business owner when it comes to dealing with customers you have to be very careful because customers are not the same there are some that may be rude and there are some that are very okay. For a business owner you must have the ability to manage all your customers in one way or the other so that they will always be increased in the sales of your products no matter how rude a customer maybe always try to please them by doing that you are enlarging your customer base.In business customers are always right if you want your customers to keep increasing and you profit also to keep increasing too you will agree that customers are always right. But if you don't want your customers and your profit to keep increasing you will disagree that customers are not always right. In every business you have to treat your customers very well and so that you will gain more ground in the business environment.

Olajidey

Exactly, there is a saying i do hear idont know how valid it is 'They say customer is always right'.
We don't want to lose customer, so therefore we will accept all sort of rudeness from a customer because once you try to act towards the rude customer, people around you will judge you for your act while the customer will be spare because no one knows what the customer did to you.
So, no matter how rude a customer is, you need to be calm and dont act to the rudeness.

Nicklas22

If someone you're trying to serve resorts to rudeness, it can be difficult to know how to react. Even if deal with customers and clients on a regular basis, a burst of hostility, can come as a shock and you can easily find yourself in a difficult situation
The best way to handle rude customers are
Stay calm and don't react
The best way is to stay calm and do not respond, if you are faced with an unexpected verbal attack, a natural defense mechanism is to "bite back'' The UBC research suggests that rude customers can violate an employee's sense of dignity and respect, and trigger negative emotions that can motivate employees to react negatively."

Jasz

VIP Contributor
You're most likely to encounter angry or rude customers or clients when you're providing customer service, so it's important to know how to react appropriately. An angry customer or client has a legitimate reason to be upset, but they can't hear your response or suggestions if they're shouting, using abusive language, or coming across as aggressive. According to the American Psychological Association, "there is an invisible line that divides those who handle angry customers with ease from those whose hackles are immediately raised by even the slightest perceived affront." Knowing what to do when presented with an angry customer or client goes a long way toward preventing a confrontation.

It's every business owner's nightmare: an angry customer or client. Remember that there is a difference between constructive criticism and angry complaints . When dealing with an angry customer or client, remain calm and professional even if they are yelling or swearing at you. Anger can be a devastating emotion. It clouds the ability to think clearly and make rational decisions, and it can make a problem you are trying to manage even worse. It's possible to avoid or at least diffuse a dangerous situation. Words like: I'm sorry, be patient, calm down, take it easy, we can talk about this, we can resolve this; can clear the air