How to emotionally prepare for retirement

Augusta

VIP Contributor
The truth is that we are all emotional people and thinking about retiring from work especially for those that had emotional attachment to their work, colleague and friends can be tough. So what can really help is your preparation to embrace a new routine.

You need to start planning and get prepared to love your new course of life. You can start planning on the following:

You need to start developing hobbies that you would really enjoy

Look around your environment to start making new friends. You can even connect with people online. It will be easy to interact more with them when you retire.

Have a positive outlook to life. Remember life is still beautiful and you can help it to be a better place for other. You can join Charity

What's your view?

Mataracy

VIP Contributor
It is better yo start preparing for retirement from the day one if resuming to work. Retirement age is a stage where every workers will be compulsory to go back home. Before the retirement age catch up with somebody one need to start investing on some business so that by the time one retire their would not be any problem.

Augusta

VIP Contributor
It is better yo start preparing for retirement from the day one if resuming to work. Retirement age is a stage where every workers will be compulsory to go back home. Before the retirement age catch up with somebody one need to start investing on some business so that by the time one retire their would not be any problem.
I think everyone should always have at the back of their minds that a day of retirement will come so they work out plans to keep them emotional stable when the time is neigh. I think it mostly hit those that were not emotionally prepared. So having good friends around will take away the loneliness associated with it and help one have companions

Setho

VIP Contributor
The truth is that a lot of people do not face a lot of financial responsibilities on retirement but instead you will have to do a lot with boredom and also taking care of your health. This is why location matters a lot as you should try to stay in a relatedly quiet environment and consume healthy foods.

Augusta

VIP Contributor
The truth is that a lot of people do not face a lot of financial responsibilities on retirement but instead you will have to do a lot with boredom and also taking care of your health. This is why location matters a lot as you should try to stay in a relatedly quiet environment and consume healthy foods.
Yeah it is good to get self prepared for retirement because just like death it is what will definitely happen unlike death that you don't need to prepare since no one knows the time it will happen it isn't same for retirement. Retirement had it's definite time as such one can prepare towards it to be emotional ready for it.

D

Deleted member 28127

If you are sad for retirement and couldn't forget that you where active and you are now unactive many people have a garden in their house and pass half of the day of taking care of their garden then they could forget a little of being whitout doing anything hole the day.

Jasmine

VIP Contributor
Why should you prepare for retirement, why not continue working? Let say you have worked for too long from a certain company, and you are retiring. If you are physically and mentally fit, why con't you continue working for that company, of that company does not hire you, why not look for jobs in other company?

Augusta

VIP Contributor
If you are sad for retirement and couldn't forget that you where active and you are now unactive many people have a garden in their house and pass half of the day of taking care of their garden then they could forget a little of being whitout doing anything hole the day.
You see this is why it is good to start preparing before even retiring. Like your garden analogy it is good to start with the gardening, you have it already and begin to have sentimental attachment to it already. So by the time you are back home after retirement you would be enjoying the gardening without feeling sad or inactive

Augusta

VIP Contributor
Why should you prepare for retirement, why not continue working? Let say you have worked for too long from a certain company, and you are retiring. If you are physically and mentally fit, why con't you continue working for that company, of that company does not hire you, why not look for jobs in other company?
Well, not everyone will want to keep on working even after retirement. And secondly, a lot of people become totally worn out after retirement. So the best bet will be taking break from job to do other things so that you can balance life better. Life isn't about work and work all the time

Caramelle

One way to prepare ourselves emotionally for retirement is to have a taste of what we intend to do during retirement while we are still working. That will at least give us clues on what to expect and whether or not we actually want to retire. For example, we can use our vacation leave for traveling or doing gardening work, things that we'll probably do during retirement. Being able to see the positive sides of retirement can help you a lot in this new journey. Retirement is supposed to be the time for us to enjoy the fruits of our hard work. With no more kids to raise and send to school, we can now afford to spend money and time on ourselves. Of course, this will depend on how well we have prepared financially for retirement.

Yes, parting with officemates, co-workers, and even the friendly guards in the lobby can be emotionally taxing if you have had an enjoyable work life. However, nowadays, you can always reconnect and maintain the bond. Most likely, your peers are also near retirement age, so you're not really alone. Some will probably still choose to work in another type of job or attend to their business. These types of activities can help us maintain our faculties and help us stay and feel relevant in this world.​

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
This topic reminds me of an uncle who retired before he reached 60. His expectation was to enjoy life with his big retirement pay while he was still young. He bought a vehicle that he rented to ferry passengers in the rural area. It looked like he had made a good plan of his retirement life. Unfortunately he became irritable and his family developed a distance from him. The situation was clearly an emotional imbalance maybe because my uncle was not prepared to have no occupation. At first he enjoyed sitting in front of the tv all day long but later it was boring for him. The continual spat with his wife led to an informal separation. There was no issue with the money and we really couldn't think of a valid reason why his attitude changed for the worse.

When I was nearing to retire, that experience of my uncle served as a lesson. I had many things to do when I left our office. My plants at home, my online work, my researches on some personal interest and, of course, the money matters for investment. With the full support of my wife I had no issue with my emotions.

Good-Guy

VIP Contributor

I do not think that it would be a wise thing to think about retirement from day one. This is because it may discourage the employees from concentrating on work. I think an employee should focus more on their work and think about how easy it would be to retire from work if they have enough money at an old age. I definitely agree with you that when it comes to retirement, people should have sufficient money to invest somewhere so that they might spend rest of their lives comfortably at a later stage. Money is indeed very important in every walk of life, especially when you get old.