How to easily spot fake job offers

Augusta

VIP Contributor
A lot of people have fallen into dubious hands because of fake advertised jobs. If you are seeking for jobs you need to always spot the red flags and stay away from such offers. The following points are always consistent with fake jobs

• You get contacted for jobs you never applied for, run from such
  • Offers that comes with too good to be true pay. Look well it might just be a scam
  • The job offer has no particular description or requirement
  • Check the offer email if it looks like an unprofessional email from a company, dump the offer
  • When you receive an offer email with no specific company’s name or location. It might just be a scam mail
How else can a fake job offer be spotted?

Sherman198

VIP Contributor
We are now in a world where scams flies around both offline and online. It's important to be very careful how we engage in most offline jobs. I usually see many posters around in my country, where the posters would say they are paying a huge amount money per week to workers. I think we should not always fall for anything that's too good to be true.

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
Before the internet there were so many fake job offers in the classified page of the major newspapers here. The most common are trainee for sales manager. But the actual work is for you to sell bottled juice that is not sold in the market. You will be promised the position if you can sell so much. But after selling so much you have to wait until the position becomes vacant.

Good-Guy

VIP Contributor
A good way to actually spot such kind of fake job offers would be to do a Google search for the company or the organization which is providing the offer. I remember getting one scam job offer. They did have a real office at a nearby location, but one candidate secretly warned me not to get involved with the company when I was leaving their office. They were a scam who used to first ask for "fees" for attending their "classes" and then continuously ask for money from job candidates.

Mika

VIP Contributor
Some companies charge application fees. These companies do not have any intention to recruit any people, all they are trying to do is collect money from the applicants and then run away. Some companies ask you to pay fees for training. They charge hefty prices as training fees, these companies also are scammers.

Yusra3

VIP Contributor
If you're looking for a new job, you've probably come across some offers that sound too good to be true.

Fake job offers are a growing problem in the employment industry. Fake job offers can come in all forms from fake job descriptions and fake interview questions to fake salary requirements.

Here's how to easily spot fake job offers:

1) Look at the company's name. If it sounds too close to the name of a real company, it might be a fake offer.

2) Check the timing of the job opening. If it seems too soon after another similar position has been filled, it might be a fake offer.

3) Ask questions about compensation and benefits. If they don't answer them directly or seem evasive, they're probably not real.

moonchild

VIP Contributor
Most fake job offers will ask you to pay before you can land an interview with your employer and they'll be acting like middle men in the job racket, they are also almost ambiguous, no defined roles or what they expect of you, it is vague and say something about having a school leaving certificate, be respectful and other hogwash, any company or organization worth their salt won't put those as requirements for landing a job in their company.

You should only apply to jobs on platforms that are well known and do a background check on the company before sending in your application.

ZacSc

Most fake job postings have one feature - they are never answered :) I.e. you can send your application, but they won't reply anything.

Etini

Valued Contributor
The original poster just hit the nail on the head entirely. In this days where jobs are hard to find, and a company sits down on their own and call you for a job you didn't apply for. If it was legit, hundreds of people would have already applied for it. Some people are excited for such offers and end up falling victims of bad things.

I know that most of us really need a job but there is no need to put yourself in danger because you want to get a job. Always do due diligence. Any job that you can't verify people in real life who have worked for that company is most likely a scam.