How to Build Your LinkedIn Profile to Build Your Career

Mika

VIP Contributor
Social media helps you to build your online visibility. However, not all social sites are equally created. While Facebook might be the most uses social media site, it might not help you in your career development just like LinkedIn. Sadly, a lot of people are not even using LinkedIn, let alone understanding the power of LinkedIn to build your career.

After joining LinkedIn, start building your connection. So, how do you do it?

Find your best friend on LinkedIn and connect with him or her. Look for your high school friends, your past and current co-workers, colleagues, college professionals and teachers, and people you have never talked to but know well. You are in the center and all of these people in your connections will help you build your networking prowess.

Before you start building your connections, you need to provide your resume on LinkedIn. While you can be “ax789” on Tiktok, on LinkedIn you should always use your true identity because you are not only networking but also trying to build your career. It is very important that you share your real information. When I say real information, I don’t mean you should share your phone number and personal email.

You should also continue to share useful and interesting content and continue to build your connections.

arunima25

Verified member
I am not much into social media platforms like Facebook, Instagram etc. I find paid to post forums better option to spend time. But LinkedIn is one platform where I am active, at least I visit it a few times in a week to stay updated.
LinkedIn might not be as popular as the other social media platforms like Facebook, Instagram etc. The other social media sites are useful too if they are used wisely. But somehow over the period of time, it has become more of entertainment and a way to stay connected to friends and family in a more personal way. Business pages are there to promote businesses.
When it comes to LinkedIn, it has limited itself to professionalism. It's a good way to stay connected with people at professional level.. Since this platform is strict about being used for career and profession, it looks more sorted out.
Many employers these days use LinkedIn as an authentic source of assessing the prospective employees. In fact when I returned to India, I landed into my first job through network in LinkedIn.
It's been a while that I have updated my resume and details there. Maybe because I am a bit laidback as I am not looking for any new job. But I guess now I should look out for online jobs there.

Johnson2468

Valued Contributor
Your LinkedIn profile can be a useful tool for advancing your career, but it must be constructed properly. Create a complete profile at first, with a professional photograph and a compelling headline. To make it easier for recruiters to locate you, use keywords in your summary and experience sections. Join communities for your industry, then interact with other professionals by posting and commenting on relevant information. To demonstrate your abilities and work ethic, ask coworkers and superiors for endorsements and recommendations. Finally, make sure to keep your profile updated and active by sharing your own professional achievements and goals. With these tips, you can build a strong LinkedIn presence to advance your career.

arunima25

Verified member
There are various tips that one can use to make a good profile on LinkedIn. @Johnson2468 and @Mika have mentioned some good tips to make such profile on LinkedIn. Having a good profile is definitely a good way to reach to your prospective employees and other opportunities .
Adding keywords is very helpful. One should consider it important to do so.
When the profile is well made and proper keywords are used, LinkedIn suggests a lot of connections based on that. It's very important to make more and more connections. It helpe in professional enhancement. Having a good number of connection, gives you a lot of visibility. A good network is very important in every profession or business opportunities.