HOW TO ACHIEVE YOUR DREAMS IN YOUR TWENTIES

Wiserr

I stopped telling people my age partly because of how shocked most of them would react and some would even go as far as asking for my birth certificate. 🙄 Lol. Why? For them, I was 'too young' to have achieved all these. When did I start? In my mother's womb? 😅

Several things helped me in accelerating my progress. I made a list of some of them.

♦️ 1. I woke up early: From a young age, I knew what I wanted and followed that path. I wasn't trying to be everywhere. I knew my strength was writing and speaking. So, I focused on getting better in these areas.

I know that there's this saying "whenever you wake up is your morning" and though it sounds sweet to the ears, it's not entirely true. You can't wake up at 50 and say you want to become a professional footballer. Your morning has passed. It's already dark. No football team will sign you up.

That's why you need to figure YOU out on time and know what you want to do with your life, because you might figure out your passion later in life but it might be too late. There are awards you can't win once you're past 25.

Don't think you have all the time in the world. Youth is a vapour. Stop comparing yourself to the founder of KFC, he is an exception, not the rule.

Wake up on time!

♦️ 2. I was constantly trying to learn and taking opportunities: If you follow me, you must have heard this story several times.

In 2017, a friend mentioned me on a post about a writers' hangout happening in Lagos. It was my first time getting to know the organiser but all I knew was that it was a training for writers and so, I was going to be there! I begged for transport fare and almost got lost trying to locate the venue. But that one training changed my life. I got connected to other amazing writers that till today, I'm still benefiting from the relationships.

Go out. Network. If you want to spend less time achieving your goals, then spend more time building meaningful relationships. My first job as a social media manager was based on recommendation from someone I met thanks to that hangout.

You will need people that can mention your name in places that matter and you won't meet them in your room. Go out.

Just yesterday, I went out with my friends and ran into the CEO of a real estate company that I follow here on Facebook. At first, I was a ball of excitement so when I met him to introduce myself, I only told him my name and told him how I knew him. Then, I went back to my friends and felt like slapping myself. See opportunity staring at me and the best I can do is "I know you from Facebook"? Ah! Is it when next I want to meet him and I'll need to go through protocols that I'll have sense?

That was how I put myself together and approached him again. This time, I introduced myself professionally and I pitched my services to him. Guess what? He took out his phone and first SEARCHED ME ON FACEBOOK, scrolled through my profile before giving me his contact! So, if you're still joking and posting only memes here, I hope you know that social media is your new CV? He told me to chat him up, I did and he replied. 💃

The truth is that many of you behave like I did the first time I approached him when you attend events. You see people you've always wanted to meet and the best you can do is to take pictures with them to post for the gram? Who picture 'epp'? Don't waste golden opportunities to pitch yourself and build profitable relationships.

Network like a professional!

♦️ 3. Mind your circle of friends: If I write an epistle but leave this point out, then you would struggle with making progress. You need to be very careful with the type of people you make your friends.

I'm passionate about working hard and making lots of money while still young. So, I keep friends with similar passion. My closest friends all have something they do and not just that, they are gunning to be the best in their industry. The one who is a fashion designer, I don't know anyone who sews better than her and this is not hype! Yet, she still talks about improving.

When it comes to finance, they push me to set higher goals. There was a time most of us were always talking about how we make 6 figures, but now, our conversations are about how we've made 7 figures and how we want to make more. Yes, we're all in our early twenties.

You can't have friends who only want to drag you to parties and think that it won't affect you. You can't have friends who talk down on personal development and think that you will be different. You might not notice when their lifestyle will influence you. A lion that mingles with dogs for too long will soon forget how to roar and learn how to bark.

Who are your friends?
What are their goals?
What effect do you have on you?

♦️ 4. Make sacrifices: Yesterday, I was listening to THE LAW OF SACRIFICE by John Obidi again where he talked about how when he was 28 years old, he heard a fantastic speaker saying "it took me ten years to get here!" but he knew he didn't have that time to wait. He said to himself- "this is the time of my life, I'm young now. Is it when I'm an old man that people would know me and my hustle will start paying? There's got to be something that I can do!" He knew that something unusual would be required of him if he was to accelerate his progress. So, he made sacrifices.

Your sacrifice could come in form of volunteering to gain access to certain people. I've volunteered for events and though it might look like I was just giving both my time and services for free, I knew what I wanted.

You might need to sacrifice that money you want to use to flex instead to buy books to update your knowledge or pay for a training. I've paid for trainings and later I was asking myself if I've been jazzed to give such amount out. But today, I'm reaping the benefits.