How lucrative is Snail farming?

greatguy1

Snail farming is rearing of Snail for consumption to make profits. The business of Snail farming is not as popular as livestock farming but how lucrative is it?
The consumption of it is selective thereby limiting its market unlike livestock's that is widely consumed. The process of buying the particular snail to be used is highly technical as it is selective. It may not consume so much farmland to set up where they are kept while their feeding pattern is not as strict as poultry farming. They could be highly prone to disease outbreak.
With all this in mind, do you think Snail farming is as lucrative as livestock farming?

Daykas

Snail rearing is mostly lucrative in an urban region where it is very scarce and the demand is high. On the other hand also it require a lot of maintenance

Haypril

Snail farming ( Heliciculture) as popularly called is a very lucrative business. When into snail farming, both the meat and the eggs are essential items for getting more out of the established farming. Most times, Heliciculture that is generally referred to as snail farming happens to be a small scale business. But the success of the business will be determined on some factors considered before starting up the business.

D

Deleted member 27126

Snail farming is rearing of Snail for consumption to make profits. The business of Snail farming is not as popular as livestock farming but how lucrative is it?
The consumption of it is selective thereby limiting its market unlike livestock's that is widely consumed. The process of buying the particular snail to be used is highly technical as it is selective. It may not consume so much farmland to set up where they are kept while their feeding pattern is not as strict as poultry farming. They could be highly prone to disease outbreak.
With all this in mind, do you think Snail farming is as lucrative as livestock farming?
Snail farming is profitable but that is if and only if you get a good breed of snails. Snail take many months before growing, some years, and you won't afford to wait till eternity before they grow.

Augusta

VIP Contributor
This depends solely on the location or region one is, like in my country we love snail whether cooked, fried or steamed. It is one thing that is used in garnishing a lot of spices and sauces. So it lucrative here since a lot of people will be buying almost daily for their consumption

Hena101

Even though I'm not into it and is not a business that one can try in my locality but i can still remember how people are saying that it's lucrative because of the kind or simply profit those doing get in returned. So the only thing i can say this business depends on your locality if you are a local person like me but if you have the mean you can go to where it's profitable and start it

Hena101

Even though I'm not into it and is not a business that one can try in my locality but i can still remember how people are saying that it's lucrative because of the kind or simply profit those doing get in returned. So the only thing i can say this business depends on your locality if you are a local person like me but if you have the mean you can go to where it's profitable and start it

Succjay

Snail farming cannot be compared to livestock farming in terms of being lucrative. Selected people consume snails and can go for many months without consuming it, meanwhile a good number of people consume livestock everyday.

Adetayo100

The business of snail farming required low capital investment and was highly profitable with gross margin and net profit of over 500 thousand naira and 600 thousand per snail per one cycle respectively. Snail farming is also very attractive and lucrative in the sense that there are no downside to it.

eojo2401

Snail farming is lucrative when you are in the city where you will get a reasonable market for your snails but when you are in a village or rural area where people easily pick snail's from there backyards or farms freely. To get market for snails in such environment will be hard and what is the purpose of business when there's no market for your outpouts.

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
If there is a high demand for snails in the market then that would be profitable to raise. Snails multiply fast as long as there is water like a pond with feeds for the snails. Some snails eat water plants and some can fed on other items like crushed grains. You just have to be sure that your pond is always clean.

Highflyer

Snail farming is very lucrative and can fetch you good money if you dedicate your time to it. Snails are source of nutrients like calcium and iron, so they are a source of food. Other byproducts gotten from snail are snail slime which is used in manufacturing some creams. It even sells more than the snail meat(escargot) in some cases. The most common specie of snail that is reared in Nigeria is the African giant snail.

Snail farming is very lucrative but the question to as knew investor into snail farming its very good to make research and ask question most especially from experienced person this will guide you on how to go about it. But if you are lucky and is the type that multiply a lot get bigger profit