How does the banana plantation handle the waste matter and trash?

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
I have seen one banana plantation with a hectare of space that is reserved for the fallen plants after harvesting. The plant cannot be burned so it is just left to dry or to decay. But it takes time so that the space is used for months just to hold the waste.

Now some farmers have thought of harnessing the fibrous body of the banana plant. They separate the sheets to dry and use for making baskets. The handicraft is good and a legitimate basket that can hold the goods. However, weaving is not easy because the fibrous sheet is durable only when it is dried very well. During the rainy season the drying is a problem. But as they say, innovation can always solve the little problems.

Mika

VIP Contributor
I recently watched a video where farmers in Africa were recycling banana waste (the plant waste) to make threads that could be used to make cloths. I think this is a good way to manage the banana plantation waste. Plantation waste can also be used to make organic fertilizer for farms.

kayode10

VIP Contributor
Most people usually turn banana waste into silos to make manure for the crop plants in the garden. There are some farmers who born banana peels to make elastic rubber by adding some chemical to it and sell it to the local industry who make use of pulley machine. But this usually involve long processing.

Jonaville

This kind of thing never actually came into my mind untill you just say this now. I guess innovation is the key of everything after all. But yes during the rainy season it would be a challenge for them because it would take longer for the banana leaves to actually dry.

Sotherefore

VIP Contributor
I believe that death and decay plants on bananas should rather be used as manure for other plants because this can be an effective local manures which can help to moisten the soil. I don't see the need for this waste product to be used in doing other things about I'm using it for planting of banana.That is how it's should be used .

btaliat

VIP Contributor
Apart from the oil palm, banana plantation is the next plant that haz many usefulness. There is nothing in it that can not be made into use. Some people in African do use its leaves for wrapping up of pap, and its decay is used as a fertilizer for other plants.