How do you avoid the stress that is brought about by your business?

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
I have money for capital of a business but there is something that makes me hesitate. It's been several months now that I am thinking of selling snack foods in our neighborhood. It is a home-based business that does not need a big capital that I can start tomorrow if I want. But the potential stress might hit me and I cannot afford to get sick because I am still in the grieving stage (due to the loss of a loved one). The biggest advantage of a home based business is that there is no rental expense. Add to that the business tax that you do not need to pay then it is a good business.

However, the stress will still be there especially when the risks in the food business would arise. When there are products that were not sold it cannot be stored for long because food is perishable. Another issue is the quality that may be in question depending on the kind of customer. There are other issues that can bring stress like the credit which some customers would insist that later on they would no pay. I don't think I have the capacity to withstand the stress.

General01

I don't think stress can be avoided in the conduct of a successful business Enterprise. It can only be managed.

This can be carried out by giving out the stressful and most demanding part of the work to your properly oriented employees ( if there is any).
If you are the only person conducting the business I am afraid you can not avoid stress, but the way you can manage it is by conducting the business in a well coordinated manner which would reduce the chances of you unnecessarily jumping around in search for things.
As time progresses you would need to have a very skilled employee

btaliat

VIP Contributor
Sorry for your loss and I understand how you are feeling. However , there is no way we can avoid stress in any business we choose to do. We only need to learn strategy to use to minimize the stress. There can include time management and discipline. In your case, since you went to be dealing with food business that is known to be highly perishable, you may start with the ones you are likely to sell finish for that day or you get a storage facilities that will be useful to save excess.

D

Deleted member 28127

Most of the employers think that consecutive hours of working without a break could bring a lot of success but scientifically a person needs a break from time to time then at least a couple of weeks every 3 months not working like a machine and thinking of growing your fortune every day which is something not required to be done consecutively.

goodmoneygoodlife

Stress is internally generated and not something that external events dictate.

You can have a crappy customer but it's up to you how to interpret that event. Do you worry? Or do you take that as an opportunity to improve your business? Or do you simply ignore it? It's up to you how you think about any situation, and how you feel about it.

Any business will face enormous challenges, daily. And there'll be tons of times where you want to give up...every day. And there'll be tons of existential threats to your business, all the time.
Being not stressed I think comes from:
1) Being desensitized to all these problems because you're going to put out so many fires, all the time anyway, and
2) An emotional maturity developed by experience and entrepreneurship.

To start though, I'd melt away stress by studying any of these:
1. Stoicism
2. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (you can pick up a textbook on it)
3. Meditation / presence work.

funmi

Verified member
I am very sure that every business has its own stress. There is no business that is not stressful. Though, I stand to be corrected. But what I do know is that it is possible for us to manage the stress.
For example, this food snacks that you want to start, requires you get someone else that will join you in order to reduce the stress for you. If you do the business alone, of course, you will be very tired at the end of the day.
So I advice you to get an assistance, that will help you out. You should not mind the money Little amount of money you will give to that person, in fact, you are paying for the stress. When you start with that person, as times goes on, you may have to do it alone. But for now, because of your condition, you should start up with some one else.

D

Deleted member 28127

What to do in this kind of situation is to forget a little bit about work and also practice a lot of sports and do exercises then do not eat to compensate for stress.

Mellorando

Banned
Managing stress is important as a business owner because typically, we tend to be sole proprietors or have few employees. Reducing stress should always be at the top of your to-do list to keep you sane — and your company healthy, too. “That’s why it’s important not to feel guilty for stepping back or prioritizing some ‘me’ time,” says Poppy Greenwood, mental health advocate, serial entrepreneur and co-founder of female entrepreneur support platform Meyvnn. Luckily, there are plenty of small business stress management techniques that will help take away the tension and anxiety of your work.

1. Pay attention to your body's stress signals
Typical signals of stress include sweating and an increased heart rate. It's important to recognize these signals and get them under control. This could involve simple, deep-breathing exercises.

2. Deal with the stress head on
Rather than procrastinate, think about what is causing the emotional reaction and get a handle on it. Deal with the cause of stress right away, whether it's a phone call from an angry client or making a difficult business decision.

3. Take systematic breaks
When you feel stress coming on, get up and do something else such as taking a brief walk or going outside. This short break can give you a different perspective on a stressful situation and at least provide short-term relief from the physical effects of stress.

4. Adopt a healthy lifestyle
Getting 30 minutes of rigorous exercise at least three times a week can help you reduce stress. Good eating habits such as including more fruits and vegetables in your diet can give you more energy and help you handle stress better.

5. Try to achieve work/life balance
Although today's business environment can be demanding, it's crucial to take time for other activities outside of the office such as family events, hobbies and sports. This is when you recharge your batteries.

6. Keep perfectionism in check
Offering a quality product and service doesn't mean obsessing about it. Know when to get a task off your desk and focus on doing your best in a competitive environment.

Caramelle

A food business that requires cooking and preparation will likely be stressful for someone who lacks experience in commercial food preparation. If it's a small-scale business, you may need to do all the work for it to be profitable. Otherwise, if you're targeting a wider customer base, you'll have to hire an assistant to help you with the marketing, food preparation, serving, or packing. There are other businesses that are low-cost and potentially less stressful than a snack food business. One is dishwashing liquid preparation. This is a low-cost business that you can mass-produce and sell in various container sizes. You can find formulas online or you could ask the supplier of chemicals for a formula. You may opt to sell it at home or supply stores. If you can make high-quality dishwashing liquid, you'll probably find loyal customers who will provide continuous cash flows. Some offer this product along with fabric conditioners which you can also do at home.​

Jasz

VIP Contributor
Employees are a company's biggest asset. Stable and motivated employees are vital to the success of a company, yet the increasing workload many companies experience makes this increasingly difficult. Mental health issues such as depression, stress, and anxiety can cause an increase in these conditions, harming the individual and their performance at work. Furthermore, it can lead to increased absenteeism, layoffs, or even contract cancellation. Employee mental health is one of the biggest concerns facing businesses today, as these headaches cost companies over $200 billion a year.

You spend your time running around, trying to catch up for the day. Unpleasant negotiations, stressful work, and being overloaded with information might be the reason why you are acting stressed out. However, there is a way that you can avoid business stress . You just need to embrace modern technology including office management solutions. Use a well-organized electronic filing system. Keep track at all times with alarms and reminders.

In the creative industries, you are your own boss. Running your own business doesn't just mean freedom – it also means responsibility. It's your job to pay the bills, balance the books and earn a living. And there are no vacations—the stakes are high, things happen and you have to be in charge of it all.