Having anemia...take vitamin C rich food.

arunima25

Verified member
Have I confused you by the topic's name? If you have anemia, you are supposed to have iron deficiency and your hemoglobin count is low. And so a logical suggestion would be to eat iron-rich food and/or take iron supplements. What does an immunity booster Vitamin C has to do with it? Well, you might have enough iron in your meal but still, you can have iron deficiency. The reason is that your body is not absorbing enough iron and this can be related to a deficiency of Vitamin C in your diet. Vitamin C plays a vital role in the absorption of iron. So to boost up your iron and hemoglobin count, have iron-rich food and have enough Vitamin C to help it absorb well.

Mika

VIP Contributor
I knew about the importance of Vitamin C in synthesizing various nutrients when I got Covid. Anemia is a condition when your body has an iron deficiency. You can start taking iron supplements but if your body lacks vitamin C iron cannot be synthesized by the body and it will pass out of your body as waste.

arunima25

Verified member
I knew about the importance of Vitamin C in synthesizing various nutrients when I got Covid. Anemia is a condition when your body has an iron deficiency. You can start taking iron supplements but if your body lacks vitamin C iron cannot be synthesized by the body and it will pass out of your body as waste.
That's very right. Many people are not aware of it. We might not have deficiencies as we lack that nutrient in our diet. Our body might be not able to absorb and assimilate it for various reasons. And we have always known that micronutrients like various vitamins and others like zinc, magnesium etc might be needed in small amounts but they are vital for our health.

sincerem

VIP Contributor
Victim C have a big role it plays in our health. When one is suffering from sickle cell anaemia the vitamin C that is rich in iron and building up hemoglobin which helps in the red blood cell circulation. With that, we ought to eat foods that contains vitamin C that produces iron to boost our hemoglobin and help remedy the deficiency of anaemia.

Last edited:

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
We had a housemaid who was anemic. She was prescribed pills for her iron needs and also vegetables. But she was not taking the pills religiously although her color changed for the better and eventually she was able to escape from the anemic condition. I didn't know that vitamin C is good for anemic people.

arunima25

Verified member
We had a housemaid who was anemic. She was prescribed pills for her iron needs and also vegetables. But she was not taking the pills religiously although her color changed for the better and eventually she was able to escape from the anemic condition. I didn't know that vitamin C is good for anemic people.
Micronutrients in our food play a very vital role. And the importance of balanced diet has always been emphasized. One might take a lot of iron in meal but yet be anemic if the vitamin C needed for the absorption and assimilation of the iron is missing in the body.
Your housemaid would have gone for iron through her food and not through supplements. Supplements should not be the first option. Iron pills are well known to cause issues like constipation.

arunima25

Verified member
Victim C have a big role it plays in our health. When one us suffering from sickle cell anaemia the vitamin C that is rich in iron and building up hemoglobin which helps in the red blood cell circulation. With that, we ought to eat foods that contains vitamin C that produces iron to boost our hemoglobin and help remedy the deficiency of anaemia
Taking a balanced diet is the key. We need nutrients and micronutrients in the correct combination and amount to do the effect. Sometimes, we eat enough but still go low on certain nutrients because we fail to absorb them and assimilate them. It just comes out as body waste and does no good there. Exercising is another way to make sure that what we eat is well metabolized.

sincerem

VIP Contributor
Taking a balanced diet is the key. We need nutrients and micronutrients in the correct combination and amount to do the effect. Sometimes, we eat enough but still go low on certain nutrients because we fail to absorb them and assimilate them. It just comes out as body waste and does no good there. Exercising is another way to make sure that what we eat is well metabolized.
Taking balance diet, builds sustainable nutrients in our body, which promotes well-being. One who is not eating what the body needs, is simply lurking around and endangering his or her health with what is considered junky foods. Exercise is part of the ways of improving the good state of health. When we exercise often, surely it helps in blood circulation, and builds up our immune system high.

Augusta

VIP Contributor
Have I confused you by the topic's name? If you have anemia, you are supposed to have iron deficiency and your hemoglobin count is low. And so a logical suggestion would be to eat iron-rich food and/or take iron supplements. What does an immunity booster Vitamin C has to do with it? Well, you might have enough iron in your meal but still, you can have iron deficiency. The reason is that your body is not absorbing enough iron and this can be related to a deficiency of Vitamin C in your diet. Vitamin C plays a vital role in the absorption of iron. So to boost up your iron and hemoglobin count, have iron-rich food and have enough Vitamin C to help it absorb well.
I think I have read about taking vitamin too for Anemia I think the best bet is eating food that will always provide the money with enough nutrients so that we would not be found wanting when it comes to to nutrients deficiency in the body. It is always good to consume food that are loaded with vitamins

arunima25

Verified member
I think I have read about taking vitamin too for Anemia I think the best bet is eating food that will always provide the money with enough nutrients so that we would not be found wanting when it comes to to nutrients deficiency in the body. It is always good to consume food that are loaded with vitamins
You are right. It is always a good way to get the required nutrients through our food. A balanced diet is the key to good health. Supplements are to be taken only under certain circumstances under medical supervision. We need our daily servings of fruits and vegetables that are loaded with goodness of vitamins and minerals.

Sotherefore

VIP Contributor
I don't really know if anemia is always as a result of vitamin c deficiency only because if you have anaemia the doctor will prescribe multivitamins for you, this multi vitamins will contains a lot of vitamins in the liquid drugs you will be asked to take... I don't really think it only contains vitamin c the the body will need.

arunima25

Verified member
I don't really know if anemia is always as a result of vitamin c deficiency only because if you have anaemia the doctor will prescribe multivitamins for you, this multi vitamins will contains a lot of vitamins in the liquid drugs you will be asked to take... I don't really think it only contains vitamin c the the body will need.
No anemia is not always the result of Vitamin C. What I wanted to say was that if one takes enough iron but is deficient in Vitamin C, the iron won't get absorbed and this will result in anemia. We need Vitamin C for better absorption and assimilation of iron. Iron deficiency can result from manuy factors and sometimes some underlying disease can be a cause of it.
Multivitamins have a combination of many vitamins and micronutrients and not only Vitamin C.