Fish farming or poultry, which is better?

Jonaville

My cousin who just finished his university education is interested in venturing into an agriculture related business. He has done some research and went to seminars, and now he has narrowed down his options to two: fish farming and poultry. Now he is confused on which to go for.
Fish farming seems like the better option for him, but he thought about the cost of building a fish pond and providing the necessary utilities, and he feels that the cost of starting it is higher compared to poultry. You can also sell eggs if you are into poultry rearing. But I want him to go for the fishery because it is less competitive in the area and the people love eating fish. Which do you think is better?

bracknelson

Poultry farming isn't a bad idea for beginners. If you don't have enough capital to start fish farming, you can also go with poultry.

Carson20t

There are alot of factors to consider when you want to set up a viable business of which finances play a center role followed by location and market base or clientele base where you will be selling your end products.

So firstly if the finances are limiting it means there is a consideration not to want to set up a make-shift project where appropriate technologies are used to set up fish ponds or poultry for the chickens. The person wants standard fish ponds or poultry and the resource calculations have settled for the poultry to be much easier and cheap to set up.

If the location is rural or peri-urban set up then it would be easy for the person to use technologies that are less expensive because in most cases such locations will not have high-level security threats for the farm products but if it's in the urban setup then the structures will surely need to be highly secured and offcourse for aesthetic purposes, appearance matters.

The person needs to know how to be transporting the produce to the nearest market and who are targeted as buyers for the farm produce.

With these factors put into consideration, it will then help the person to deduce whether to start with fish farming, poultry farming or both depending with the final resolve.
In my experience both are very lucrative ventures with poultry being fastest to get end products.

V

.V.

Fish farming may be more expensive to start than poultry but it's cleaner and does not require much effort,I speak from experience, as a child my father was a fish farmer.
Maintaining a fish farm is more expensive, it has to be near a water source because u have to change the water every 2 days. My father dug a well near the pond and he uses a motor to pump water through pipes into the pond.
Fish farming is a lot cleaner,you don't even need to climb into the fish pond until it's time for harvest.

Lyrrex

Both fish farming and poultry farming has its own advantages and disadvantages. One thing that should be put into consideration is the demand , local purchasing power in the intended business environment.

Khezo

They are both good businesses to engage in if I'm to suggest to you. But in terms of cost, I do believe the poultry farming is not has demanding compared to the fishery business. And then for the poultry farming, you can make money through the selling of broilers which are usual rared for their meat and also you can engage is layers which are rared for eggs. You can combine the two to make more income. Not downgrading fishery but poultry is better if you ask me.

Olajidey

If capital is not an excuse both the fish farming and poultry farming is a lucrative business. But if it is important for the person to choose between the two we will have to consider a few things. What is the start-up capital we are looking into, is there ready market for these two or one of the options. This is because one thing that affects agric product is market if there is no available market you will be forced to result to using your market to beg the buyers and we all know the consequence of it when we are begging buyers with the product.

Sammyesx

Fish farming is very good, but is will be more espensi to start compared to poultry, personally I prefer poultry cause it offers several advantages like

Eggs; You can farm your chickens and sell the ends to make as another business
Meat: You can also sell them for meat.

Compost: Chicken feaces sells.. It is Used by horticulturists and farmers for Manure.

Hatchery: You can also incubate the eggs produced by your chickens and sell the chicks as another branch of the business.

D

Deleted member 27583

My cousin who just finished his university education is interested in venturing into an agriculture related business. He has done some research and went to seminars, and now he has narrowed down his options to two: fish farming and poultry. Now he is confused on which to go for.
Fish farming seems like the better option for him, but he thought about the cost of building a fish pond and providing the necessary utilities, and he feels that the cost of starting it is higher compared to poultry. You can also sell eggs if you are into poultry rearing. But I want him to go for the fishery because it is less competitive in the area and the people love eating fish. Which do you think is better?
Fish farming is still preferable,because it is less odor than the poultry rearing..And if he or she eventually got into the poultry business,people around the vicinity where its being rear will be full of bad odor like a bad smell..
So I suggest if he or she want to still do the business,he or she should go far inside new area where people living there where much I mean not a crowdy area like a bush area all because of the smell of the chicken rearing... All I could say for now is that I wish he or she the best f luck,but you should think about it before toj go into it once again ....But would always prefer you to venture into fish farming because the profit in it is much more than the one of poultry.and mind you chickens die a lot when rearing.... So rethink please before doing it.