Family members or outsiders; who should I employ?

Abu4exel

In businesses, u consider somethings first, maximization and profitability. Employing ur relation could post a big risk or gain to these two and also employing non relation could be of same too. So we don't employ base on favoritism or tribalism but on merit ability.

Bookwormlux

Valued Contributor
Well, if you are ever called to make a choice between your family and outsiders then always choose your family

but if there's no reason to choose one or the other, then its everyone's duty to balance both and make sure one does not suffer because of the other. if you employ too much family there might be some imbalances
I agree with you, there should be a kind of balance between family members and non family members in the way you are recruiting workers. No matter how bad some family members may appear, it is better to keep them because they would serve as a Barrier for any of those outsiders that may have some bad intention in mind.
It would be really difficult to have a family member that would agree to conspire against you with an outsider, this then means that there is a need to have a family member among your employees.

It also helps to give the family member a first hand experience of what business is all about so that Even when you are no more, he can easily handle the business m

Ummigal

Well, since you had a bad experience employing your family members in your business before, then Is suggest you shouldn't make the mistake again. Even if you are come under pressure as a result of your decision, Then make them sign an undertaking in presence of a lawyer that they would strictly adhere to the business's rules and regulations. And if any case, they violate the terms and conditions of the business, then the necessary actions shall be taken against them without any more consideration.

Maks25

Well, if you are ever called to make a choice between your family and outsiders then always choose your family

but if there's no reason to choose one or the other, then its everyone's duty to balance both and make sure one does not suffer because of the other. if you employ too much family there might be some imbalances

Janiya

I have seen many issue in employing family members because at one point they will irritate you about promotions and about increasing sallery either your work of business is going down or not they will deal you like torture .so I will always suggest you to employee outsiders and if you want to hire family member so just chose one or two of them not all.

Rna001

Business is strictly business and family is strictly family and has nothing to do with business. You as the owner of the business must set aside or lay down rules and regulations that even if your own child is brought into your business would have no any relationship impact on your business. However, so many people believe bringing in family could have negative or adverse effects but I vehemently disagree to that notion because you already put down the rules and regulations and in fact family to a large extent would help in the management of the business than the outsider for fear of establishment of enemity.

Doradorwa

Opportunity seeker
It does not matter who you were employed to your business we eat outside our family member what matters is that the person in that business knows about the business it does not matter if it's family or outside. So far the person has the skills the knowledge and the charisma needed for that business it does not matter just the same way you are going to scold an outsider it's the same way you should scold a family member so far you are paying for the service he or she is rendering.... business is business, family relationship in business must be define.

Bookwormlux

Valued Contributor
As for I will say outsider because the way you can correct or punish the outside you may not be able to do the same to the family member.
Also their may be familiarity threat too because if you said you are going to sack family member they might call you to family gathering of meeting and tell you that if you dare try that ,that you will disown by the family and this will limit your best of judgment.
You have said it all, what family members would do is pure emotional blackmail. It is best to understand this before going ahead to choose someone simply because he is your family member. It is better you choose your employee based on merit. This way you won't have to regret later on. Some family members could also leverage on the fact that you are from same side with them to chameat you. They cheat you by, taking things on credit and not paying back, taking things without your permission.

btaliat

VIP Contributor
I will prefer to employ outsider if I want to start a business. Family members always take people for granted because of the preferential treatment. You may not want to sack your family members of they do even the worst things but if it is outsiders, there is noting stopping us from telling them reality and even sack them of the need arises. The only thing I may consider family members is that most f them at times may work harder to protect the business and see it as the family heritage but this is always rare.

Mataracy

VIP Contributor
As for I will say outsider because the way you can correct or punish the outside you may not be able to do the same to the family member.
Also their may be familiarity threat too because if you said you are going to sack family member they might call you to family gathering of meeting and tell you that if you dare try that ,that you will disown by the family and this will limit your best of judgment.

Sammyesx

It all depends on you and the individual In question, employing a family member is not a bad ideal, but the problem is the family member might become over comfortable and incompetent and you might not want to treat scold or caution him because of the family ties, a non relative will know that if he becomes incompetent he might lose his job, so he will be very careful.

Lekhraj19

Verified member
In businesses, trust is one of the most important thing. But, when you employ people of your family you will feel good in the beginning as you know them well. But, what actually happens is that when any problem comes and you and your family members have an issue there, then it can create severe damage to your relations.

Although, it depends on the compatibility of the people with which you are, if you can handle them with your kind and convincing words then it's not an issue. For that, you can try out a demo of compatibility drill that you can find on the Internet. If you both stand out on those, it means that it has less chances of misunderstanding ahead.

Kennysplash

Verified member
In businesses, u consider somethings first, maximization and profitability. Employing ur relation could post a big risk or gain to these two and also employing non relation could be of same too. So we don't employ base on favoritism or tribalism but on merit ability.
Exactly, that was the mistake I made. I didn't see anything that showed capability in them, but because they are my relatives and I saw that they are doing nothing I employed them. Now it has cost me a lot. I will not make that mistake anymore, anyone that is working for you nonchalantly should be let off since it is not by force. Your business is very important, not even a family member should treat it like it doesn't matter. I have learnt my lesson and would not make that mistake again.

Bookwormlux

Valued Contributor
I think the whole Idea of you employing someone is because you can't handle all the work needed to be done on your business alone on your own and you require the help of another person. I think the major requirement for hiring anyone is for you to trust that person whether the person is your family members or an outsider. It would be a good idea to hire your family member because you would be more relaxed and comfortable hiring such person over an outsider who would make to always be on your guard. But then not all family members are trustworthy and honest and not all outsiders are dishonest and not trustworthy.
Sure, one has to make sure he settles for the best, without letting some sentiments take over his sense of reasoning. It should always be that you choose your employees based on merit. If it comes to the finance department for instance, one may think that a family member would be more reliable, but you never can tell. It is best to get a professional accountant who has undergone the training. This kind of person would exhibit more sense of professionalism because he knows that any mistake would put his reputation at stake. So many factors to consider.

Kennysplash

Verified member
Very soon I want to start a business, I just need to put together a few more things. Now what is bothering me is who to employ, because I will need like a dozen employment. Granted, I know some families members that are in need of employment but I don't trust them, and for good reason. This is not my first business, I had established a small one two years back and I employed relatives. But I cannot start relating what they did to me. They were being lackadaisical, uninterested, they were just acting anyhow. Some of them are older than me and this makes it somehow hard to reprimand them. I won't allow such action from other employees that are not my relatives, but when it comes to those that are supposed to support me the most, they are actually doing the opposite. Now they know what I am about to do again and I am already hearing words that some of them are expecting to work for me. Should I employ them again or just go for outsiders that I can handle?

I think the whole Idea of you employing someone is because you can't handle all the work needed to be done on your business alone on your own and you require the help of another person. I think the major requirement for hiring anyone is for you to trust that person whether the person is your family members or an outsider. It would be a good idea to hire your family member because you would be more relaxed and comfortable hiring such person over an outsider who would make to always be on your guard. But then not all family members are trustworthy and honest and not all outsiders are dishonest and not trustworthy.

Donkiz

There's no law that says we cannot employ our family members in our business if they are qualified for such employment. One of the advantages of employing family members in your business, especially at the early stage of the business is that it saves you the time and resources needed to start recruiting outsiders. Also you can afford to pay them less compared to outsiders.

I know that most people avoid involving family members in their business because they are usually known to be lazy and unproductive, which can be traced to the feeling of familiarity with the business owner. This can be averted if you as a business owner made everyone to understand from the onset that whatever you are doing with them is strictly business and no one should expect any special treatment.

Peppul

There is a saying that there is no family when it comes to business but at the same time the reason why we establish a business is because of the purpose of creating a legacy down for our family. Most people will choose to employ outsider and the other family, it depend on what individual wants. For me I will consider both, if any of my family member is qualified for the job why then will I want to employ an outsider over my family. It's more preferable for me to have a business that consist of my family member, people you can easily trust. Although it also has its own disadvantages but it still preferable than choosing and outsider over my family member.

Seyesystem

There is nothing wrong in employing members of the family in business since he or her is qualified for the work.But In family business there must be legal documentations of how the business will operate.In business it's good to separate family from business and even in business concept the owner is separated from the business. For any business to be successful you must separate yourself and family from the business. If the owner and his family are not separated from the business there is tendency of the business to failed. There must be boundaries in business. Business is business and family is family.

Bookwormlux

Valued Contributor
Thank you very much for this. I know that is what I should do, if it is about trust, they have erased it from me totally. After I made the decision to let them off due to the harm they are bringing my business, you need to see how they were treating me and talking ill of me. But who cares, they had their chance and they misused it. No one as employee should be allowed to cause harm in any way in a business, not even a family member. If the business collapses they will go somewhere else, and I had no one's help in establishing this business. So bye to relatives, I should go for those that I can manage, not those that will manage me.
I like your last statement. If you are the one managing your employees, it would be easy to take disciplinary measures against them and make sure they do not do anything that would cause you to run in to losses. This makes you have peace of mind because you are sure of the fact that they would do anything to make sure you won't get mad at them.

If you had not given those relatives of yours a chance, it would have been a different case entirely. But they failed you and any right thinking person in your situation would definitely opt for a better alternative.
don't agree when they try to convince you into thinking they wouldn't repeat same thing, you will regret.