Family members or outsiders; who should I employ?

btaliat

Valued Contributor
I will prefer to employ outsider if I want to start a business. Family members always take people for granted because of the preferential treatment. You may not want to sack your family members of they do even the worst things but if it is outsiders, there is noting stopping us from telling them reality and even sack them of the need arises. The only thing I may consider family members is that most f them at times may work harder to protect the business and see it as the family heritage but this is always rare.

Bookwormlux

As for I will say outsider because the way you can correct or punish the outside you may not be able to do the same to the family member.
Also their may be familiarity threat too because if you said you are going to sack family member they might call you to family gathering of meeting and tell you that if you dare try that ,that you will disown by the family and this will limit your best of judgment.
You have said it all, what family members would do is pure emotional blackmail. It is best to understand this before going ahead to choose someone simply because he is your family member. It is better you choose your employee based on merit. This way you won't have to regret later on. Some family members could also leverage on the fact that you are from same side with them to chameat you. They cheat you by, taking things on credit and not paying back, taking things without your permission.

Doradorwa

Opportunity seeker
It does not matter who you were employed to your business we eat outside our family member what matters is that the person in that business knows about the business it does not matter if it's family or outside. So far the person has the skills the knowledge and the charisma needed for that business it does not matter just the same way you are going to scold an outsider it's the same way you should scold a family member so far you are paying for the service he or she is rendering.... business is business, family relationship in business must be define.

Rna001

Business is strictly business and family is strictly family and has nothing to do with business. You as the owner of the business must set aside or lay down rules and regulations that even if your own child is brought into your business would have no any relationship impact on your business. However, so many people believe bringing in family could have negative or adverse effects but I vehemently disagree to that notion because you already put down the rules and regulations and in fact family to a large extent would help in the management of the business than the outsider for fear of establishment of enemity.

Janiya

I have seen many issue in employing family members because at one point they will irritate you about promotions and about increasing sallery either your work of business is going down or not they will deal you like torture .so I will always suggest you to employee outsiders and if you want to hire family member so just chose one or two of them not all.

Maks25

Well, if you are ever called to make a choice between your family and outsiders then always choose your family

but if there's no reason to choose one or the other, then its everyone's duty to balance both and make sure one does not suffer because of the other. if you employ too much family there might be some imbalances

Ummigal

Well, since you had a bad experience employing your family members in your business before, then Is suggest you shouldn't make the mistake again. Even if you are come under pressure as a result of your decision, Then make them sign an undertaking in presence of a lawyer that they would strictly adhere to the business's rules and regulations. And if any case, they violate the terms and conditions of the business, then the necessary actions shall be taken against them without any more consideration.

Bookwormlux

Well, if you are ever called to make a choice between your family and outsiders then always choose your family

but if there's no reason to choose one or the other, then its everyone's duty to balance both and make sure one does not suffer because of the other. if you employ too much family there might be some imbalances
I agree with you, there should be a kind of balance between family members and non family members in the way you are recruiting workers. No matter how bad some family members may appear, it is better to keep them because they would serve as a Barrier for any of those outsiders that may have some bad intention in mind.
It would be really difficult to have a family member that would agree to conspire against you with an outsider, this then means that there is a need to have a family member among your employees.

It also helps to give the family member a first hand experience of what business is all about so that Even when you are no more, he can easily handle the business m