Employee sells items in the work place

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
Some offices do not allow the employees to sell in the work place especially now that there is strict protocol for covid. But when I was working in the bank several of my colleagues in our department were selling food stuff. What’s attractive is that they sell by credit but to paid on payday. I remember buying chocolate bars from our secretary and our messenger was selling chips of all kinds.

What is the principle why selling is not allowed in the workplace? First is the interference to the work not only of the buyers but also of the seller. There is also the potential friction that can arise between the seller and the buyer. For me, as long as the transaction is being conducted during off hours like lunch break or before the official starting time of work then I don’t seen any problem with selling by the employees.

Cinderella

Our office don't impose restrictions for those who want to do business so long as it does not interfere with our work. My officemates are also selling food items, plants, clothes and cosmetics. Personally, I am selling mobile load and accepting bills payment and fund transfer. I think with the service I am offering, I am helping my colleagues in one way or another.

btaliat

VIP Contributor
I have seen this several times. The employee do sell some petty items needed by the Co employee or even people around them. In as much as I like it, I won't tolerate it if I become a manager. This is because it has long term effect. The effect may not be seen in the first instance, but it will be seen later. There is no way the employee won't lose focus because psychologist will tell you that you cant combine two things at a time.

Augusta

VIP Contributor
Some offices do not allow the employees to sell in the work place especially now that there is strict protocol for covid. But when I was working in the bank several of my colleagues in our department were selling food stuff. What’s attractive is that they sell by credit but to paid on payday. I remember buying chocolate bars from our secretary and our messenger was selling chips of all kinds.

What is the principle why selling is not allowed in the workplace? First is the interference to the work not only of the buyers but also of the seller. There is also the potential friction that can arise between the seller and the buyer. For me, as long as the transaction is being conducted during off hours like lunch break or before the official starting time of work then I don’t seen any problem with selling by the employees.
I used to do this in my first place of work. Well, it comes with its advantages and disadvantages but it just needs one managing it right to avoid clashing with the main job. If it will cause any distractions then it should be cut off. Again, workers should be discreet about it too.