Effects of Excess Consumption of Salt

raaman

Valued Contributor
The build-up of sodium in the blood causes the blood volume to increase and requires the liver to work harder than usual. The sodium that you consume doesn’t only come from kitchen salt.

Sodium also come from other foods and drinks, such as cheese, pizza, mayonnaise, sauces, marinated beans, bread, chips, sausages, soy sauce, yeast extracts, cereals, and fast food. Even though, sodium consumption is good for the performance of the nervous system, excessive sodium consumption can damage the normal nerve performance.

Therefore, many nutritionists recommend reducing the consumption of high-sodium foods, so that they can balance mineral levels in the body.

Augusta

VIP Contributor
I knew about the damage of consumping excess salt when my older cousin became hypertensive. The doctor was of the opinion that reducing salt intake in food and in other things she consume will be much helpful and it actually worked. The truth is anything consumed in excess will be detrimental to one's health. Salt or sodium needs not be taken in excess to avoid having some health defects that might see one spending so much money to treat or even making one be in and out of the hospital regularly. I think cutting away junks or snacks can really help since there contain high level of sodium

Sotherefore

VIP Contributor
Generally consuming too much salt is not really good for the body most especially to the heart and other vital organs of the body. It is observed that consuming too much salt can increase high blood pressure which might eventually lead to stroke or something more serious if proper care is not taken. Consuming things in excess is not good generally.