Do You Think Politics Can Have An Effect On Business?

Good-Guy

VIP Contributor
I have always believed that political situation of a country can have a really big impact on the economy and the situation of business in a country. I live in a country where the political situation used to remain quite unstable in the past and this had a really big negative effect on the management of business because most of the people were not able to manage business during such time. I would prefer to not to go into details, but I have myself witnessed that people were not able to run business because certain political parties used to discriminate against a few people who belonged to a specific ethnicity and this caused a major problem for many people. So, do you also think that politics can play a role when it comes to managing a certain kind of business by a certain kind of people?

cmoneyspinner

Politics can have an impact on anything! I used to work as a civil servant in our nation's capital, Washington, D.C. The thing that really struck me about my job was that we would received work assignments based on something delegates by someone else we don't even know. There were people sitting at a desk in some corner of the White House or other "political space", writing memorandums and implementing decisions that AFFECTED MY DAILY LIFE!! It could have a good impact or a bad one. It is politics and government that cause people to leave their homes and cross a border into another country where they don't even know if they will be received. But hey! When you're living in a hell-hole, and you are ALIVE ... you might as well try to escape!

Suba

Staff member
Of course, political influence will have a huge impact on the economy, social and culture, so that it will also have an impact on business, because in fact politics is the main key to the development of a country. If politics is chaotic, the inflation rate will always be high, and businesses will become uncertain, they will even go out of business or go bankrupt.

Mika

VIP Contributor
Politics will have a positive or negative effect on business. If there is a democratic system, if there are regular elections in the country and peaceful power transfer, the market will be favorable for business. However, if there is an autocratic system, if there is political instability, the business will not flourish as the market is not favorable.

moonchild

VIP Contributor
Of course, politics can affect business drastically, In my country for example, I believe the government all they can to keep the masses poor, because any chance to flourish have been altered and banned because of corruption.

Basic amenities of life that suppose to be dirt cheap, now cause an arm and a leg to purchase, pushing business to be stagnant and price of commodities to skyrocket.

And also many dull and I'd say stupid policies have made a lot of people jobless and out of business, like recently my government banned crypto and introduces their on e-currency, many youths are making a living from crypto because there's no enough jobs, now that policy have made those youth to be out jobs and because of this it'll plummet the unemployment rate.

cmoneyspinner

Jack Dorsey, head of Twitter sure does know how much politics impacts business. Nigeria and India are either suspending or banning Twitter activity because of politics. And of course, nobody will ever forget that he took it upon himself to delete Trump's account and ban Trump from Twitter FOREVER!! His decision was definitely politically motivated.

Kingsley

Valued Contributor
Your assertions were very good, there is no way we can clear separate the impact of politics from any economy, politics as it is defined as a lot to do with decision making. Political power drives the economy of any society. When poor political decisions are been made it will certainly have an adverse effect on such country. It is believed that Africa is where it is today economically because of the poor political leaders that has piloted the a political atmosphere of her citizens. When we take a closer look at developed societies one thing seems certain they have good political leaders.

Jasmine

VIP Contributor
Politics has an effect on business, sometimes positively and other times negatively. If the political system is not stable, if there is a lot of demonstrations in the country regarding government's products and services, or even policies, if the government is fighting terrorism and in order to do that have introduced stricter rules, it is impossible for businesses to flourish. Even in a properly functioning democracy like the United States, the change of government will affect the stock market.

btaliat

VIP Contributor
Politics is government and whatever decision they take may affect the business either positively or negatively. This is the main reason why most of the giant companies always try to join politics or even indirectly support some political candidates in order for them to be favored by the government in power when they make decisions

Good-Guy

VIP Contributor
Politics is government and whatever decision they take may affect the business either positively or negatively. This is the main reason why most of the giant companies always try to join politics or even indirectly support some political candidates in order for them to be favored by the government in power when they make decisions

Politics has played a major role in the governmental departments in my city. This is because the city was heavily influenced by many political parties and only private sector was considered free from political influence. However, I believe that even major companies in my city were somehow influence by politics in my city. I also believe that the stock market is also somehow influenced by political situation of the country. Many investors have suffered from huge loss due to political tensions in the country. This is why I believe that political stability is important for any kind of business regardless of business being small or big.

E

eldavis

Yes politics plays a role in terms of business as well, during my service year, where I was posted to during the election period, there where alot of fights and persons from rival parties could not make any sales cause the other party would not let them.

Caramelle

Politics is one of the external factors that can affect a business. Every change in the administration of a country brings changes in the way things are done. A lot of changes have occurred in my country in the past several years due to government policies. These policies have benefited some businesses while some curtailed their growth. For example, to raise funds, the new government decided to implement excise taxes on certain products. The additional taxes may have little impact on necessities such as fuel because vehicle owners have no choice but to absorb the price increase. On the other hand, the new round of excise taxes has hurt the beverage industry because it meant doubling the price of their products. Sweetened products such as powdered juices are now being sold at twice the old price and this has drastically reduced their sales. The past administration focused on the efficient collection of taxes and practiced frugality in many levels of government.

funmi

Verified member
Of course yes, politics plays a lot of roles in our day to day life. It all depends on the type of country we are staying or living. It is politics that will determine the kind and quality of education we get depending on the country we are. It is politics that will determine the type of decisions we make everyday of our lives. We can do nothing without politics even getting covid 19 vaccine is determined by our government. In some countries they do not take it so seriously, while in some other countries, it is as important as the food they eat. In fact, the government of a country will be the ones to determine whether the country will be suitable for you or not.
Therefore, the place of politics can not be put aside in our lives.because it has a great impact on us

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
Is is customary here that during elections the candidates get help from the business sector as sponsors for the campaign. No candidate can fully fund his own campaign because it is expensive. You have to pay your workers, your connections to the towns. Think of a presidential candidate on the expenses involved. The amount of campaign funds is sky high. When the candidate wins expect the sponsors to have their payday or rewards from the winning candidate. It is no secret that in the presidential elections some business owners would bet on 2 or more candidates to be assured that they can get the rewards whoever would win.

In the previous election, the biggest tv network here did not support the candidate who won as president. What happened next was that the network was shut down and until now that network is still closed. If the allies of the incumbent president will win I think that network will remain close for the next 6 years (the term of the new president).

sincerem

VIP Contributor
Politics have an effect when it comes to business in a particular region. The people are governed by the political leaders, when their is state unrest it impacts negatively to the business of the individuals in the country. But when the election is conducted free and fair, and a good leader is nominated at last, it boosts the business welfare to something beneficial, since their is no tension between the traders, they simply do business at ease, knowing too well their is no state unrest in the country. That's why crime, warfare is never a positive one, they simply affect business negatively. And they are few options when their is political unrest as well, it leads to opposition fight and increase in crrime rate.

Skysaint

Verified member
I wonder if there is actually anything done in a country that can't be affected by politics. Government policies can actually have a positive impact on any business in the country and in the same vein, can also pose as a threat to many businesses.
Back in highschool they do say that one of the reasons why foreign investors might be skeptical about investing or doing business in a particular country is because of political instability.
This is to show you the influence politics have on all businesses done in the country. The government can actually decide to create a good policy which will most likely favour very many businesses and like wise can also come up with decisions that can inhibit the progress of most businesses done within the country.