Do you think it is advisable to manage a business and go to school simultaneously?

Kennysplash

Verified member
Of course I know most of your response to the question is yes, but let me tell you the whole story. I have a very close pal that started an electronic and electrical materials retail business. The business is moving steadily because he has little competition in his area. Now he wants to go to university, but the challenge is he has not found someone capable and trustworthy to entrust his business to. The ones he kept on seeing are either not capable or just wants to run with his money. He really desires to have a degree, and he wants to start this year. His business has the potential to grow very soon, if he leaves it into the wrong hands it will definitely go in a downward spiral. What will be your advise to him? I suggested to him to wait, the right person will come along someday. He has put in so much into the business, therefore he can't give it to any unworthy person to handle. Is my suggestion right? How will you advise him?

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
If the owner will go to school and leave his business to a manager then he should be careful. My take on such arrangement is prone to anomalies. However, if the business is handled by more than 1 person then that would be more comfortable to me because there is the so called check and balance. You can use the log book for the transactions that would indicate not only the date but the time. That is aside from the receipts issued by the machine so you can check the sales every day and audit the cash if there is something missing. If the owner is studying I don’t think he can still do the daily auditing.

Donkiz

Fact is that because of the nature of his business it will be very hard for him to manage the two simultaneously, that is business and schooling, so if he wants to do either of the two himself he has to forego one and take the other, or he can hold on as regards to schooling till he's able to get a competent, honest and reliable person that will manage the business in his absence, because he will still need the proceeds from the business to support himself in school.

Augusta

VIP Contributor
I will advise him to combine the two, he will be surprise at the inner strength can exude when he set his mind to accomplish this feat. It might always look impossible but it doable. Instead of him to bring in a person that would ruin his effort, he should rather run it low key. Open the business when he has the time and go to school when he should. I prefer it this way than using someone that might collapse the business.

Ephy

Of course I know most of your response to the question is yes, but let me tell you the whole story. I have a very close pal that started an electronic and electrical materials retail business. The business is moving steadily because he has little competition in his area. Now he wants to go to university, but the challenge is he has not found someone capable and trustworthy to entrust his business to. The ones he kept on seeing are either not capable or just wants to run with his money. He really desires to have a degree, and he wants to start this year. His business has the potential to grow very soon, if he leaves it into the wrong hands it will definitely go in a downward spiral. What will be your advise to him? I suggested to him to wait, the right person will come along someday. He has put in so much into the business, therefore he can't give it to any unworthy person to handle. Is my suggestion right? How will you advise him?
Yes it's very much possible but if only the owner of the business leaves the business on safe hands, someone who is a good manager and trustworthy. And if possible the owner of the business to be doing follow ups through WhatsApp and other means of communication about accounting and well-being of the company or business. But if possible the owner to create time to visit the business once or twice a month to see how the business is fearing and more so do accounting and restocking any goods that have been bought.

Seyesystem

For me is not that easy to manage a business and at the same time going to school he is not very easy to practicalize it is very easy to say port in the reality of life it is very difficult only few people can do the two at the same time. We should not forget I going to school requires your time and effort you know that to pass in the course that you are studying in the university also business require much time the time you put into your business determines the tangible results that you will get. I will advise a business owner that is presently doing business and want to further his education pursuit to the university level should look for a capable and to manage his business. The only thing he will be doing is just monitoring of the business and you can easily monitor your business once in a while not every time. Combining business together with education is not advisable it will always be stressful

Mataracy

VIP Contributor
Before one can run business with education there most be trust between the owner of the business and the employer because many people nowadays are not trustworthy at all.
When you live your office and go to school before returning back you will detect that many atrocities had been taken place. And since its not advisable to close up the business while going to school then good research on the employer have to take place so as to know who to put in the business.

Profuk57

Of course, you can combine going to school and managing your personal business at the same time. What you have to do is have a pro per mind set of what you what you want to achieve in both your business and school. The next step is for you to hire a proper and qualified person in the field of the business you own, then you can have a friend or family member monitor the day to activities in business. If you do this then you can combine both school and business.

Nii41

This is very possible. There were students who sold various items/products in the hostel and also had social media pages where they advertised their products. It is easy, all you have to do is attend your lectures, after lectures, go to the hostel and market your products both offline and online, then during weekends you can deliver the items to people who ordered that are not in your school. You can aswell keep your business within the school and sell your products to your fellow students depending on the type of business and the rate of demand within the school.

Aqsa Shahid

That's not a big issue to handle business with study. Why he wants to give his business to some unknown person. He will definitely has parents and siblings to whom he could give his business to handle. He could also run his business with his study as a part time work till he will have completed his studies in future as you have said that his business is growing positively.

D

Deleted member 27583

To me it will not be easy to be schooling while doing business as well,he or she will loose focus either on education or on the business..
Let's start by lectures giving you some much project to defend and you are needed at your business place as well,how are you doing to do it? So it is either you loose one for one to be able to achieve one particular goal at that moment... And like the saying as well and I quote,one step at a time!! So if you really wanna do anything and you want a good result ,so you have to finish one first before you venture into others ...

btaliat

VIP Contributor
It depends on the business. There are some businesses that don't require attention twenty four seven. For instance, businesses like point of sale doesnt require your attention through out. But if it is some businesses like trading. You may find it difficult to combine the two. It is either you focus more on education and making low profit in your business or you focus on business and making low marks in your education. To solve the problem, you can easily hire someone to be monitoring your business for you.

Lekhraj19

Verified member
There is an issue to handle this situation. If you are doing multiple tasking at the same type, one seems like a job for you i.e. teaching and the other one is a completely different domain i.e. business, then you really need to be careful. Because, what happens is if you are a beginner in the business market and you haven't got many projects to deal with and just in a kind of growing phase, you need to do it own. And, there you need to sideline the one that is less important for you, if in that case if your teaching job.

However, if you are in a position to delegate the business to some trusted beings, then it can be fine.

D

Deleted member 28873

It is actually advisable to own a business as you go to school cause it would make you independent on your parents the only issue is getting a well trusted manager who would help in managing the business while you go to school.you also will need to check in on it from time to time.It actually a nice idea to me

Josemendez

Verified member
I think the person needs to enroll for weekend programs , by this he only get to miss out on his business on weekends ,thus won't have any reason to risk his business .
Alternatively , he can wait for a good person probably a wife who will take the business as her own and work towards the growth of the business.

Coming to your question , it is never easy to combine both business and academics , it is very demanding and should be avoided if possible .