Do you put your real age when applying for jobs?

Bookwormlux

Valued Contributor
With the delay in getting a job upon graduation, so many people tend to spend years without getting any and this makes them to feel bad as their age is not helping matters, especially now that so many organizations are specifying that they only need people within a young age range for certain jobs .

This has led so many people I know to lie about their age as they feel this could help them to overcome the age barrier that could have stopped them from getting their dream job.
This is not good as you could get serious legal implications for your actions later on.
What do you think about this, have you ever being in a situation that made you to lie about your age?

btaliat

VIP Contributor
Although this is true, it is not to be generally accepted especially in the first tier countries. But most African countries even make securing jobs difficult for graduates by asking them for experience. Lying because of job is a legal criminal and we should not even involve in it because it can be kept for long before the secret will be revealed.

Good-Guy

VIP Contributor
Yes, I did. I have applied for many jobs in the past and I used to mention my date of birth. I am now realizing that it would have been much better to just mention my age rather than mentioning my entire date of birth because of identity theft issues. I might not need to apply for jobs in the future because now I plan to work online for the rest of my life.

sincerem

VIP Contributor
Lack of job opportunities have caused many people seeking for job to falsify their age in order to fall within the age bracket stated by the company or organisation that is requesting to give working chances to employees. Even when government is offering white collar jobs people do falsify age to win over it. We shouldn't lie because of securing job, its still a crime in Godly way to falsify age or telling other lies.

Bookwormlux

Valued Contributor
Yes, I did. I have applied for many jobs in the past and I used to mention my date of birth. I am now realizing that it would have been much better to just mention my age rather than mentioning my entire date of birth because of identity theft issues. I might not need to apply for jobs in the future because now I plan to work online for the rest of my life.
It is good that you have decided to focus on making money online and I believe that you would be able to make the most out of it. It is not going to be easy, especially at the beginning but with determination comes success and I wish you the very best as one does not find things like this easy at all.

Augusta

VIP Contributor
With the delay in getting a job upon graduation, so many people tend to spend years without getting any and this makes them to feel bad as their age is not helping matters, especially now that so many organizations are specifying that they only need people within a young age range for certain jobs .

This has led so many people I know to lie about their age as they feel this could help them to overcome the age barrier that could have stopped them from getting their dream job.
This is not good as you could get serious legal implications for your actions later on.
What do you think about this, have you ever being in a situation that made you to lie about your age?
This is a tricky question but I try to at all times because I mostly go for a job that my age bracket will be needed. Sometimes falsifying your age might be your undoing especially if the age wasn’t specify. So it better one just mentioned the right age

Chibson

VIP Contributor
Of course people need to put their real age whenever they are applying for a job. I don't see the essence of trying to forge your age and of course if you are in a country that I have comprehensive data you cannot be able to do that. There arecountries where it is practically impossible for you to increase or lower your age in order to get a job because they have a comprehensive data system that starts recording everyone's age at birth.

Sherman198

VIP Contributor
I think you have to be in a position of Some one who has been at home for so long and having nothing to do then you will know how it feels like.....When we are not in some positions, we tend to say things to favour ourselves. Don't get me wrong, not supporting vices. Just think you need to see what people are facing.

Bookwormlux

Valued Contributor
This is a tricky question but I try to at all times because I mostly go for a job that my age bracket will be needed. Sometimes falsifying your age might be your undoing especially if the age wasn’t specify. So it better one just mentioned the right age
I also do not think it is a wise thing to change one's age even if we do not meet up with the age range that are eligible to apply for the jobs being advertised. I have seen so many people who are doing this and this makes them to get screened out when they even get short listed for interview. It's good to stay honest to one's real age.

Augusta

VIP Contributor
I also do not think it is a wise thing to change one's age even if we do not meet up with the age range that are eligible to apply for the jobs being advertised. I have seen so many people who are doing this and this makes them to get screened out when they even get short listed for interview. It's good to stay honest to one's real age.
Definitely, honesty is still the best policy. It is always goo to stay true to self. No name sauying a lie about your age to get a job because sooner or later it might be discovered and you get thrown out from the job. It is also good to go mostly for jobs within one’s age bracket

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
To be frank that came to my mind when I was applying for a job when I was nearing 40. In our business culture 40 is the maximum age for hiring although that is not a written rule. However, decency prevailed and I was always honest with my resume. But there was a time that I joined a songwriting contest that prefer youngsters so I cheated on my age.

funmi

Verified member
The answer to your question is yes and no. Why I said yes is because I use to put my real age when I want to apply for private jobs. But when I want to apply for government jobs, I don't use to put my real age because if I do, I will not be given jobs as government jobs has age limit and since it I don't want to loss the opportunity of getting the job, I will simply reduce my age period.