Curbing the pesky spammers in forum

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
I know it is not easy to stop the spammers but in my experience as the admin of our office website’s forum spammers would come to the point that they will run out of IP address to use. Blocking the user name and the IP address is like deactivating the internet access of the spammer. They can shift to another IP address but sooner or later all the available IP addresses will be blocked too.

A blocked user cannot post anymore but he is allowed to access the forum. The post of the spammer is not deleted but saved in a board that is locked. Take note that spam posts are contents too so we do not delete unless the post is sort of critical. Our 2 mods were very industrious in running after the spammers.

This is very common in so many online forums. Several of them and looking for who to click on there sign up links so that they will get certain commissions. Some of them also CPA marketers looking for people that will complete their offers. I have also seen one certain affiliate marketer trying to promote a product on this forum.

While I have never owned a forum, I have a website where I get spam comments once in a while. When I see the same spammers leaving spam posts many times, I will block the IP. This is the most common way to get rid of spammers. I also use the feature that will auto-approve comments only when the users had approved comments.