Choosing between higher education or business hands on

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
This issue is a common issue among the children of successful business owners. Which is better for the child to be successful – a master’s degree or just a college diploma as a support to a hands on training on the family business?

Most of the Chinese business owners I know have made sure that they children pursue higher education. It is not a good idea to be handling the family business just like that. If the business goes down then the child will have no career anymore. One actual example is Joseph whose parents own a big meat and fish canning factory. But he finished his masters degree and applied a job in a bank. Now he is an assistant vice president in the bank but is helping the family business as a consultant. I think that is a fairly good compromise. A good job can never be discounted because Joseph earns good money. When his parents retire then that is the time to take over the family business.

btaliat

VIP Contributor
That's why education can not be underestimated. Education will let you do the business in a unique way. If one is not educated, it may not think of new ideas on how to make the business boom. And the only way to make a business growing is by thinking of new ideas every time in order to surpass the competitors and best the competition.

Jasmine

VIP Contributor
You should never give up education in any case because education is not only about building a sheaf of certificates, education is about learning new things, developing knowing, building skills etc. Without these you cannot succeed in your career or business. Build your education first then only venture into business.

Mika

VIP Contributor
If I was in a situation where I had to choose between higher education and business, I would always choose higher education. Education will enhance your skills build your knowledge so that you will become successful in whatever you do in your life. You cannot build a business without proper knowledge.