Changing Career Vs Upskilling

Jasmine

VIP Contributor
For a career development, career growth, and making money, which one is better changing your career or upskilling?

Changing a career means you give up what you were doing for completely new vocation. For example, you are a teacher and you give up teaching and start a career in graphic designing. Changing a career means you will be starting from zero.

Upskilling means learning new skills, building advance skills to grow with your current career. You will have to join a training a course, etc. to upskill.

When to change your career and when to upskill?

If you are unhappy with the current career, if you no longer feel excited to go to work, if you don’t see yourself growing with your existing career, a better way is to move forward and change your career. However, if you are happy with your existing career and want to become even better, earn better, reach better position, you should upskill.

Mika

VIP Contributor
I am a programmer, however, programming was not my first choice. After I completed my bachelor's degree, I gave up my thoughts to work on the business organization and joined a programming course, and decided to get involved with the IT sector. I was doing well with my programming job until covid happened. I then started looking for work online and started doing a lot of things. Well, my first preference was always to get programming jobs but when I was not getting a programming job, I started writing, selling online, video content creation, etc. I wouldn't say I changed my career because I am also doing marketing and business which I learned in college, I am still doing programming which I learned for vocation, but I am also doing content creation. In order to work in different fields, I started upskilling myself. I enrolled in different courses and learned new skills.